Bought Zorin 12 Ultimate

So, I decided to "donate" the $20 for Zorin 12 Ultimate.  Like the interface.
Looks really nice.

First thing I decided to do is open the Software app and update stuff.

I clicked on the OS updates - and now - it is hopelessly locked with a spinning circle on the screen..

I realize they want to make this look like WIndows, but do they have to mimic the locking up and ambiguous nature of errors ?

Sorry, I realized that was a rant, and not necessarily a good way to start a thread for help.

Any suggestions ?   I am hesistant to just reboot, as I am not good enough in Linux to fix whatever my result from a sudden reboot in the middle of an OS update.

It has been spinning for about 20 minutes, and its a fast laptop.

Thanks

I would reboot and then use - "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" to update - Gnome-Software has always given me problems with OS upgrades so I just use the terminal.

I'm using Ubuntu-Gnome 16.04.1 with the Dash-to-Panel a fork of the Zorin Taskbar that gives a Windows like bottom taskbar. Zorin OS 12 Core (I don't have the Ultimate) seems really buggy for some reason, they are using Ubuntu 16.04.1 with a heavily modded Gnome-Shell 3.14. I liked the look as well, so I started digging around in their gnome-shell extensions (how they got their look) and oddly enough the "Taskbar" is based on Dash-to-Dock by Michele_G that always seemed rock solid. I know it doesn't help but Zorin's taskbar has been improved with Dash-to-Panel by jderose9. No one has done the rest of the Zorin theme - as far as I've seen.

Thanks everyone.

I used the sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade & the update went off without a hitch.

Everytime I have used linux, I have always used Thunderbird for email.

Apparently, Thunderbird cant do Exchange accounts, so it just uses IMAP.   My exchange email address is through GoDaddy's Office365 & I cant get it to work with Thunderbird.

Is there another email client in linux that will work with my setup ?

The main reason I liked Thunderbird was the GUI, and how I could install themes, and change the GUI - is there another client with themes ?

Thank you to everyone who poisted help.

I am needing to get better with Linux (using terminal) so I am trying to stick with it this time (usually once I get it installed, and setup the way I like it - I uninstall because it doesnt really offer anything over windows.  ( I realize that comment might be blasphemy to some nix users, but - I am trying....again.)

Also, are there some sudo apt-get commands that "every linux user should know" ?

• Like 1

@Unobscured Visioncan help you, greatly. He knows Debian/Ubuntu. Being that Zorin is Debian based.

Evolution might be a better program for you than Thunderbird.

Take a look at this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

But, if you want an easy installer than apt-get, use Synaptic Package Manager. It's 10x easier than anything else out there.

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't purchase a distro, especially one based on Ubuntu which is free. If it just asked for donations, that'd be fine. But requiring money to download, yeah, that's kinda bad in my book.

I thought Zorin was Debian based *shrug*

I never paid for an OS since 2007ish....

5 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

Well, Zorin is based on Ubuntu which itself is based on Debian. So, I suppose, you're right too. :p

No, I meant straight Debian, not Ubuntu-Debian. Oh well, idc...

3 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Thanks everyone.

I used the sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade & the update went off without a hitch.

Everytime I have used linux, I have always used Thunderbird for email.

Apparently, Thunderbird cant do Exchange accounts, so it just uses IMAP.   My exchange email address is through GoDaddy's Office365 & I cant get it to work with Thunderbird.

Is there another email client in linux that will work with my setup ?

The main reason I liked Thunderbird was the GUI, and how I could install themes, and change the GUI - is there another client with themes ?

Thank you to everyone who poisted help.

I am needing to get better with Linux (using terminal) so I am trying to stick with it this time (usually once I get it installed, and setup the way I like it - I uninstall because it doesnt really offer anything over windows.  ( I realize that comment might be blasphemy to some nix users, but - I am trying....again.)

Also, are there some sudo apt-get commands that "every linux user should know" ?

Heya there, @T3X4S. I've been following this thread a bit. Having some trouble? I'm happy to help out, bud. :)

Apt-get commands can be confusing until ya get it committed to memory, then it's easy peasy. In the tips & tricks thread I have an entry for creating aliases that will let you change complex commands into easy-to-remember ones -- like sudo apt-get update becomes update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade becomes upgrade. :yes: It'll ask for a password and you're on your way. I think that commands like those should be built-in by default, but that's just me.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you've got questions or just ask away here. I'm easy. :D 

10 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

the free version of Zorin is the "core" build.  The "ultimate" was just $20.

I dont mind paying for it since it was just $20.

IMO, I don't think the "ultimate" version gave you anything more.... But, what do I know...

I think it just pre-installed software - it didnt matter - we are talking $20.

I wanted to see the active wallpaper (always liked Dreamscene) - but it isnt installed :(

damn you false advertising !!  Damn you !!

But seriously - it was $20... I had a hamburger cost more than that before... (it was Kobe beef and it was disgusting)

im having a wee look at the core version, ill bung it in VMware for a lookie, im quite partial to mint tbh with cinnamon. Never looked at this distro before.

i dip my toes in `nix every so often to see how things are a changing etc, its deffo is coming along nicely :)

*update* installation into VMware player 12 smooth as butter (pick x64 ubuntu) looking good so far :) I like the UI.

Edited by Mando
  • Like 3

On 1/27/2017 at 10:11 PM, T3X4S said:

I think it just pre-installed software - it didnt matter - we are talking $20.

I wanted to see the active wallpaper (always liked Dreamscene) - but it isnt installed :(

damn you false advertising !!  Damn you !!

But seriously - it was $20... I had a hamburger cost more than that before... (it was Kobe beef and it was disgusting)

Sorry, I haven't been on much lately, glad you got the updates worked out. As for the wallpaper, you need to enable the Active Wallpaper with Gnome Tweak Tool, in the Extension setting and just turn it on. I can't remember exactly what it's called... Zorin Background Plus or Zorin Wallpaper Plus, anyway, it's starts with Zorin so it will be at the bottom. There are a few other Zorin extensions there as well that they didn't enable by default, but I'm not sure why.

EDIT: Words.

1 hour ago, T3X4S said:

Thanks - I got the lame active wallpaper installed.

I even got Thunderbird to work with my Office365 Exchange account.  So all is well :)

Thanks for the tips

Next distro that you should try is Debian 8.7, it will blow your mind with so much features!

17 minutes ago, macoman said:

Next distro that you should try is Debian 8.7, it will blow your mind with so much features!

When is Debian 8.7 coming out? I'm having difficulty with 8.5 right now....