Bought Zorin 12 Ultimate

6 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Downloading the ISO now - thanks

Remember Debian is a distro that is all about stability, there will be a lot of old and out dated software, it's very stable but old. I'd love to use Deb Jessie but Xfce is stuck at 4.10 and the screen tearing is terrible without the "drawing to the vertical blank" setting in the compositor, and while Firefox has been let back in, I believe Thunderbird is still out. Icedove (based on Thunderbird) works but I'm not sure of the version.

10 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Oh OK - thank you for that - I dont want anything to do with that then.

My professor has told us time and time again, "Debian for servers and Debian based for everything else." He is a big Debian guy, he works for IBM and they use Debian for their Linux based servers.

The *buntu's are pretty good, I use Xubuntu, but I'm an Xfce guy. Linux Mint (18 & 18.1) is having trouble with an MDM bug that forgets the auto-login setting.

Edited by DavidM

27 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Remember Debian is a distro that is all about stability, there will be a lot of old and out dated software, it's very stable but old. I'd love to use Deb Jessie but Xfce is stuck at 4.10 and the screen tearing is terrible without the "drawing to the vertical blank" setting in the compositor, and while Firefox has been let back in, I believe Thunderbird is still out. Icedove (based on Thunderbird) works but I'm not sure of the version.

I thought that was the whole point of using the Compositor in the first place. Vsync + pretties.

I removed the linux partition, now my laptop just has win7 on it.

I get bored and keep installing/uninstalling OS, software, - I need to just do another desktop build.

Just now, T3X4S said:

I removed the linux partition, now my laptop just has win7 on it.

I get bored and keep installing/uninstalling OS, software, - I need to just do another desktop build.

We call that distro-hopping! Before I settled on Xubuntu, I tried Voyager Live, MX-16, Ubuntu-Gnome, LXLE, Zorin, TweakOS, Bunsen Labs, Ubuntu, Peppermint 7, and many other Debian based distros. I've got 9 isos in my Linux Distro folder right now. I need a Debian based distro for Packet Tracer 7, I know Arch has the latest version but it's not official and don't want to risk a problem while taking a test.

I liked Ubuntu-Gnome and once you add the Gnome Testing (or staging) PPA you can upgrade to Gnome 3.20+, but the huge titlebars drove me crazy. Gnome also likes to break every damn thing for each tiny little update, and that poor file manager is a hollow shell of itself.

Zorin (Ubutnu-Gnome based) was nice but you can't update Gnome to the latest because it breaks all of their extensions.

MX-16 (Debian Jessie with newer software) is very nice but if you need something not in their repos, you have to grab an old version from Debian.

Voyager Live (Xubuntu based) is nice but has a lot of addons, - conky, ranger, xfdesktop, terminator, tons of wallpapers, but it was more than I wanted or needed.

Linux Mint (Ubuntu based) is good, very good but the current version has that MDM bug, you can replace MDM with another display manager and I did, but it was buggy after the change... probably something I did, but I didn't feel the desire to chase it down.

TweakOS/Crunch Bang Plus Plus/Bunsen Labs are all based on the idea of Crunch Bang - Openbox running on Debian stable, they are nice but I really missed window snap. Yes, I know there are quick keys for that but I missed other features as well. They are all very GREY, I know #! was, but damn they are slightly depressing.

Ok, well that rambled on... best advice is keep hopping and you will find one you like. The (*)buntu's have a huge community and just about every question has been answered, Mint's is very good as well. Don't give up, Linux is great for everything but gaming (it's very very slowly getting better), my laptop is Linux and my gaming toy is Windows 7.

Good Luck!

I liked Crunchbang#! in the past, but after the owner stopped making it... There weren't any further updates.

And now I'm having an issue where Mint's repo (and half of Ubuntu's) aren't being updated for some reason. Another machine on the network is also having the same problem too. I've ruled out malware, so ... I'm at a loss. Doing a Google Search for the issue (and the suggested fixes) results in not solving the problem. Strange that it's only half of Ubuntu's repos, up to and including the Security and inRelease ones. Oh, and the one responsible for Google Chrome too.

Hrmph.

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

I liked Crunchbang#! in the past, but after the owner stopped making it... There weren't any further updates.

Bunsen Labs "Nitrogen" is the latest release of their version of #!, a lot of the Crunch Bang community has moved over there. The creator of #!, corenominal, has kinda given his blessing to BL's version and even has the #! forums redirecting to the BL forums.

CB++ is in limbo right now, they have no x64 iso, but they have the original #! theme and art work stored on a github page with the intention of make a new iso based of Debian 8.7. No idea on the time line there.

TweakOS is a project #! forum user who updated Waldorf (the last version of #!) to Jessie, but seems to be moving away from #! but keeping the same idea/philosophy - a lean OB running on the latest stable Debian.

The BL community is the biggest of the communities, they seemed to have kept most of the #! active members and picked up some new ones along the way. TweakOS just seems to have a page on SourceForge and CBPP has a website and an inactive Reddit page. BL also has a live version is you want to check it out, it seems nice but gray, very gray.

Well, I should be getting back to my homework...

1 hour ago, T3X4S said:

I need something to keep my mind off of just going and buying computer parts.

ill have a 1080GTX, EVGA model if you dont mind, thanks mate! :p if it pushes the deal my way, its my birthday next saturday?  (incase you need further justification) :woot:

24 minutes ago, Mando said:

ill have a 1080GTX, EVGA model if you dont mind, thanks mate! :p if it pushes the deal my way, its my birthday next saturday?  (incase you need further justification) :woot:

Oh man - I was just about to click "purchase" but the shipping to Scotland was too much... sorry buddy :p

11 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Is Bunsen Labs a desktop distro, good for linux noobs ?

I need something to keep my mind off of just going and buying computer parts.

Yes and no. Yes, it's easy to configure and tweak because it uses xml files for the right click menu, BL also comes with a graphical menu tool. No, because it's built on Debian Jessie, no Thunderbird and older software versions. The software versions aren't a big deal unless the newer versions fix a big that affects you.