[Suggestion] Likes/Rep System

16 minutes ago, Buttus said:

yea, downvotes i don't care for, but i'm not getting the point where you have to like 5 other people's posts before you like a 2nd post from the same person.

for example, if i like a post from gary here, then look at another post and see a post from gary that i like.  before i 'like' it, i have to go 'like' 5 other random posts?

The reason I brought it up is because looking at the "Popular Contributors" we have had users on that panel who haven't even logged in for years. Yet, users have felt the need to go back many years and find their posts and like them, for what reasons? I dont know, but it skews the popular contributors section and is overall strange to be happening. Basically, having to spread rep around ensures you can just have a group of people going around liking their friends content only, you have to spread it around, which means you arent just going to like something to like it, generally on these forums with something like that implemented, usually actual quality posts are getting the likes rather than random gibberish.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

The reason I brought it up is because looking at the "Popular Contributors" we have had users on that panel who haven't even logged in for years. Yet, users have felt the need to go back many years and find their posts and like them, for what reasons? I dont know, but it skews the popular contributors section and is overall strange to be happening. Basically, having to spread rep around ensures you can just have a group of people going around liking their friends content only, you have to spread it around.

To take some of the heat off of Circaflex both of us discussed this via a PM so it was sort of a joint effort.

4 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

The reason I brought it up is because looking at the "Popular Contributors" we have had users on that panel who haven't even logged in for years. Yet, users have felt the need to go back many years and find their posts and like them, for what reasons? I dont know, but it skews the popular contributors section and is overall strange to be happening. Basically, having to spread rep around ensures you can just have a group of people going around liking their friends content only, you have to spread it around, which means you arent just going to like something to like it, generally on these forums with something like that implemented, usually actual quality posts are getting the likes rather than random gibberish.

It's another meaningless view. Indeed, I would argue that it has been partly responsible for the abuse of the liking system. I wonder if there is a way to remove it? After all, as I mentioned the only reason any of these things are in place is so that we can have the like button.

Just now, Nick H. said:

I would argue that it has been partly responsible for the abuse of the liking system.

I have to agree with you, but it is no big deal. Just a suggestion that myself and another user thought we'd make. It isn't a life or death decision and I appreciate your input and clarifications. 

28 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

No he didn't ... you WERE talking about it. Read your post again. He agreed Gary which he was telling you that he agreed with him. 

No, you read my comment again.  I was talking about not believing Gary7 had not ever seen a dislike/downvote system on another forum before and nothing about if it would be good, bad, or neutral. John was NOT agreeing with Gary7 that he hadn't seen a dislike/downvote system on another forum before. LOL I am just saying it would have made more sense for John to quote Mirumir or Gary7 based on the content of his comment.

40 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

My fault. I miss @Phouchg, so in hopes that one day he logins, he'll see he is still appreciated even after all this time being away is what I wanted. :D 

They should maybe just remove the Top Contritubor list from the sidebar & replace it with the Tech Issues Solved thing once that's reintroduced. That would be much preferred over a completely new rep system in my opinion.

52 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Neowin had upvote system on this forum before...  they disabled/removed it because no one was using it much. I remember they had it on some topics but I don't see it anywhere on Neowin.   Which they had upvote on the left side of each post.

There used to be a "problem solved/best answer" feature that was limited to the technical help and support area. A forum update killed it.

• Like 1

Clearly this is aimed to the RWI clubs in domestic politics or other tense areas of the site, and it sounds like you want to restrict the number of likes given out by a particular member to other particular members participating in said thread. Sounds like a terrible idea. The rep system is a joke here though, I'll give you that. It shouldn't be based on individual posts, but instead an indicator on a profile somewhere (ala Neowin pre-2010) where you rate another member, which was also open to abuse. I had a rating of 2 out of 5, because of a member I kept banning and would make duplicate accounts and continue down voting me.

If you honestly want a proper reputation system, make it profile based, and make it so only staff and mvcs can rep members on their profile. Regular members shouldn't have a say, until MVCs nominate other members for MVC group and our memberbase can vote, with MVCs and staff having a higher weighted say. Winners get an MVC spot. Isn't that the point of MVCs? MVCs vote in new MVCs, and continue to add to their pool with quality posts and members.

I'm always surprised that the MVC group is so small considering we have a massive member base. It shouldn't be so elite, as it makes it look like having a quality contributor is like finding a needle in a haystack when in general most of the member base here isn't a problem.

MVCs should be a much larger group and the incentive to remaining in it should be the continuation of quality posts with a removal of group if you go inactive or turn into an ######, there are several MVCs that should be removed on that criteria alone.

The simple downvoting of a member should be left to staff as warns and eventual bans.

Downvoting on other sites is usually used as a self moderation tool, when they don't have a staff to monitor and moderate posts. We don't have that issue here, and it's abused constantly on said sites.

Edited by shockz
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, shockz said:

Snipped

It's aimed at the people who post mainly in the Members' Metropolis section. Obviously he wouldn't be talking about the sections he mainly posts on. That would just be silly.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, shockz said:

Yes.

Has nothing to do with RWI/Domestic Politics/News. Whether you want to accept that or not, is up to you.

23 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

It's aimed at the people who post mainly in the Members' Metropolis section. Obviously he wouldn't be talking about the sections he mainly posts on. That would just be silly.

If "The Council" flooded every other area then yes I would be talking about those sections as well. I merely brought it up because of the side bar and some misc comments made by certain individuals, whether you want to believe it or not, I dont really care. This was an idea brought to me by another member via PM and I decided I would make the thread. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

If "The Council" flooded every other area then yes I would be talking about those sections as well. I merely brought it up because of the side bar and some misc comments made by certain individuals, whether you want to believe it or not, I dont really care. This was an idea brought to me by another member via PM and I decided I would make the thread. 

That's not the best attitude. Honestly if you want to have civil discussions you should remain neutral at the very least.

Anyway, your suggestion probably could be exploited very easily. And I think @shockz's suggestion would be best one if the current rep system is ever considered to be replaced.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

your suggestion probably could be exploited very easily.

Please elaborate, every forum I have used this feature on is the complete opposite of being easily exploited. You either spread around rep, or cannot leave any.

1 hour ago, oldtimefighter said:

No, you read my comment again.  I was talking about not believing Gary7 had not ever seen a dislike/downvote system on another forum before and nothing about if it would be good, bad, or neutral. John was NOT agreeing with Gary7 that he hadn't seen a dislike/downvote system on another forum before. LOL I am just saying it would have made more sense for John to quote Mirumir or Gary7 based on the content of his comment.

I could care less if you believe me or not.

3 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Please elaborate, every forum I have used this feature on is the complete opposite of being easily exploited. You either spread around rep, or cannot leave any.

You could easily just pick an inactive user, then you get more rep to give to whoever you like.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I could care less if you believe me or not.

You do realise by that definition, you do care, as 'could care less' means you care enough that it's possible to care less.

Couldn't care less is more correct as it signifies no care whatsoever, so it is not actually possible to care less. :p

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

You could easily just pick an inactive user, then you get more rep to give to whoever you like.

The system ends up weeding those out over time, reps are weighted and even if you find an inactive user with little to no posts/reps themselves, giving them rep doesnt give you much back. Sometimes, you will still be required to spread around rep, even after doing what you just said.

Either way, I think we have received our answers and Ill ask a mod to close this thread up before it goes too sideways.

1 minute ago, The Evil Overlord said:

You do realise by that definition, you do care, as 'could care less' means you care enough that it's possible to care less.

Couldn't care less is more correct as it signifies no care whatsoever, so it is not actually possible to care less. :p

No sir you are incorrect.

I (or he, she, etc.) couldn't (or also could) care less

phrase of care

it is a matter of choice.

Just now, Circaflex said:

The system ends up weeding those out over time, reps are weighted and even if you find an inactive user with little to no posts/reps themselves, giving them rep doesnt give you much back. Sometimes, you will still be required to spread around rep, even after doing what you just said.

Either way, I think we have received our answers and Ill ask a mod to close this thread up before it goes too sideways.

I mentioned a Dev be he did not respond.. Better to have this closed as it will end up not well.

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

No sir you are incorrect.

I (or he, she, etc.) couldn't (or also could) care less

phrase of care

it is a matter of choice.

I disagree

5 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

That's the thing, you would obviously pick an inactive poster with posts & rep. Wouldn't be too hard to do considering Neowin has a lot of members. Your suggestion probably works better in smaller communities.

• Like 1

That's the thing, you would obviously pick an inactive poster with posts & rep. Wouldn't be too hard to do considering Neowin has a lot of members. Your suggestion probably works better on smaller communities.

It works great on communities much larger than Neowin, I can assure you that much. Two boards I visit are the largest in their respective topics and they utilize this system. Both of which are much larger communities than Neowin.

Just now, Circaflex said:

It works great on communities much larger than Neowin, I can assure you that much. Two boards I visit are the largest in their respective topics and they utilize this system.

But do those communities allow for casual off-topic discussion?

• Like 1

But do those communities allow for casual off-topic discussion?

Yes, there is a well known section of one forum that is notorious for it and that is all it is geared up for. The off-topic stuff here is very minimal compared to larger forums on the net. Neowin is surprisingly tiny with active users.