What input method do you use when playing PC games?

Self-explanatory question. Surprised there isn't a sticky for this.

I use a PlayStation 3 DualShock 3 controller and an original Xbox controller to play games, generally. Most of the games I play on the computer are retro emulated games, so I prefer to use a controller, plus I only play older PC games on my budget laptop, so nothing actually intense or modern. While I find a controller better for most games, for FPS games I wholly prefer KB/Mouse (I sometimes play COD4 on my Mac).

• Like 1

Keyboard+Mouse, had a controller but never could get the hang of using it, so I sent it to my daughter.

I use a Corsair Strafe Keyboard and a Corsair M65 Mouse. I may get a wireless controller but not sure on that. I have been told that a mouse is more accurate in PC gaming than a controller but IDK,

3 hours ago, Gary7 said:

I use a Corsair Strafe Keyboard and a Corsair M65 Mouse. I may get a wireless controller but not sure on that. I have been told that a mouse is more accurate in PC gaming than a controller but IDK,

horses for courses mate, I use a wired controller for racing sims, space flight games and beat em ups, FPS however i always fall back to keyboard and mouse for precision.

the only conbination game i use both for is GTAV, when on foot keyboard & mouse all the way, driving/flying i pick up the 360 controller. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mando said:

horses for courses mate, I use a wired controller for racing sims, space flight games and beat em ups, FPS however i always fall back to keyboard and mouse for precision.

the only conbination game i use both for is GTAV, when on foot keyboard & mouse all the way, driving/flying i pick up the 360 controller. 

I think I will get a controller.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

I think I will get a controller.

the old wired 360 controller works out the box buddy, as does the xbox one wired controller. If i recall correctly the wireless 360 one needs an adapter to use with windows, not 100% sure about the xbox one controllers. 

even the headset mic plugged in, functions within windows, i use the headset for Teamspeak perfectly.

• Like 4

Consensus is basically the same for most people.

Keyboard and mouse for first person. Also for strategy maybe?

Xbox controller for platformers for sure, and many other games.

Then again i played platformers with k&m... Starting from capitain comic. Lol

Captaincomic2.jpg

• Like 1

Recently changed from a XBox 360 Wired controller to a XBox One Elitle Controller connected to my PC by the Wireless Controller, and I have to say I'm impressed with the build quality of the thing, this has vastly become my favourite controller of all time. Battery Life seems quite good as well, used daily and still going strong after 14 days.

I would highly recommend one of these if anyone wants a decent controller.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnporter29 said:

Recently changed from a XBox 360 Wired controller to a XBox One Elitle Controller connected to my PC by the Wireless Controller, and I have to say I'm impressed with the build quality of the thing, this has vastly become my favourite controller of all time. Battery Life seems quite good as well, used daily and still going strong after 14 days.

I would highly recommend one of these if anyone wants a decent controller.

Is it bluetooth buddy? Ive used it on an xbox one and i liked it lot tbh looking at 360 wireless adapters while neat are almost as expensive as another controller

• Like 2

Usually a controller unless the game was design with keyboard and mouse in mind.

I'm actually not a huge fan of the keyboard as a gaming input device (mouse is fine). Some developers pollute their input because of all the keys they have access to.

Really depends on the game. Usually mouse/keyboard, the exceptions being adventure games (like The Witcher or the Arkham games or Shadows of Mordor or whatever) or side scroll/platformers. Or flight sims, not that there are many of those worth playing.

For games like GTA, I do keyboard and mouse for moving and shooting, controller for driving/flying.

7 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

A PS4 :p

Seriously, I use a mouse and keyboard, I've considered getting a controller for my pc, but I don't game often on my pc anymore.

Steam added support for the DS4 last year. Just connect via USB, Bluetooth or buy one of the PC dongles to use it :)

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/gaming/how-to-use-the-ps4-dualshock-4-controller-on-a-pc-1309014

7 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Really depends on the game. Usually mouse/keyboard, the exceptions being adventure games (like The Witcher or the Arkham games or Shadows of Mordor or whatever) or side scroll/platformers. Or flight sims, not that there are many of those worth playing.

For games like GTA, I do keyboard and mouse for moving and shooting, controller for driving/flying.

I found shadows of mordor so tricky using the joypad :) superb game tbh.

Completed it 100% but couldnt bring myself to finish all the DLC by then lol :)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mando said:

Is it bluetooth buddy? Ive used it on an xbox one and i liked it lot tbh looking at 360 wireless adapters while neat are almost as expensive as another controller

Unfortunately not, it will only work wireless using the Wireless Connector, which I paid an additional £20 for. For the price of the Elite Controller you would think Bluetooth would be an option as I believe Bluetooth is on the cheaper XBox One S controllers. Saying that, there are posts on reddit saying that connecting via Bluetooth doesn't give you full functionality of the controller.

You do get a full length braided USB cable though so you can use it as a Wired Controller if you wish.