What input method do you use when playing PC games?

Depends on the game.  Most of the time, keyboard and mouse, but I do have a few that I prefer using my 360 controller with. Not many though.

1 hour ago, johnporter29 said:

Unfortunately not, it will only work wireless using the Wireless Connector, which I paid an additional £20 for. For the price of the Elite Controller you would think Bluetooth would be an option as I believe Bluetooth is on the cheaper XBox One S controllers. Saying that, there are posts on reddit saying that connecting via Bluetooth doesn't give you full functionality of the controller.

You do get a full length braided USB cable though so you can use it as a Wired Controller if you wish.

ah okies :) thanks mate. Ill stick to the wired 360 controllers i have. More than adequate for the rare times i need a joypad in windows :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

Steam added support for the DS4 last year. Just connect via USB, Bluetooth or buy one of the PC dongles to use it :)

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/gaming/how-to-use-the-ps4-dualshock-4-controller-on-a-pc-1309014

I was going to buy a Logitech f710, but decided not to as I play games on the pc less and less

last game I bought was hatred

• Like 2

Mouse and Keyboard now.  I used to have a Sidewinder Joystick and Gamepad but I can't remember the last time I used the Gamepad (pre-Xbox 360) and the Joystick I'm pretty sure I've used more recently but it's still been many years.  Flight Sims have all but died from the mainstream but I could see myself busting out a joystick again if they ever came back. (or like space games though many use mouse and keyboard now for that too)  I don't see myself ever using a gamepad on PC again... if the game seems like it would work best with a gamepad I'd probably buy the console version at this point (such as sports or fighting games).

• 4 weeks later...

I use KP and mouse. What I can't get is they keep making "gaming keyboards" and, for the most part, they are just lighted with a different theme and slapped with some graphics. Is it not possible to have a keyboard that just has, say, the num pad, the arrow keys, the 9 keys above the arrows and a mirrored num pad on the left side of the arrow keys? It wouldn't be the everyday KP, just a gaming controller. That would give you 43 map-able keys plus the 4 directional keys. Could be used by lefty's just as easy. Also I think it would be great if you could make the arrow keys be analog, so that the more you press on the key, the faster your character would go. That would eliminate the need for the walk and sprint keys. Of course, it would require games to either allow for key remapping, (which, sadly not enough games do), or maybe it would come with a software that would do that. I've seen that kind of software with some other game-pads in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a controller a while back but just can't break away from the good old mouse and keyboard.

• 4 months later...

Keyboard and mouse - though since I've recently purchased a Steam Link, I may look at using my Xbox One controller with it.

Honestly i use a controller most of the time these days. My PC is plugged in my TV and i like playing my games on the couch using a controller and Steam big picture.

Of course i still play point and click adventure games, competitive fps games, rts games, turn based rpg games, 4x strategy games, competitive online games, mmorpg games, etc ... with a mouse and keyboard.

Bot for games like Tomb Raider, Alan Wake, Shadow of Mordor, etc ... i use a controller.

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2017 at 9:37 PM, BottleTop said:

I use KP and mouse. What I can't get is they keep making "gaming keyboards" and, for the most part, they are just lighted with a different theme and slapped with some graphics. Is it not possible to have a keyboard that just has, say, the num pad, the arrow keys, the 9 keys above the arrows and a mirrored num pad on the left side of the arrow keys? It wouldn't be the everyday KP, just a gaming controller. That would give you 43 map-able keys plus the 4 directional keys. Could be used by lefty's just as easy. Also I think it would be great if you could make the arrow keys be analog, so that the more you press on the key, the faster your character would go. That would eliminate the need for the walk and sprint keys. Of course, it would require games to either allow for key remapping, (which, sadly not enough games do), or maybe it would come with a software that would do that. I've seen that kind of software with some other game-pads in the past.

Gaming mechanical keyboards have a far higher polling rate and you do actually see a difference in game. I was always sceptical until i bought a Razer Chroma mech, wouldnt go back to non mech keyboard now.

@XahidI have never understood that key config...other than it's on the left side of the keyboard. I tried it and usually end up on SDF and E or some other. Why would you go to other keys when the arrow keys have such a unique arrangement as to alleviate any doubt as to where your fingers are? 

1 hour ago, BottleTop said:

@XahidI have never understood that key config...other than it's on the left side of the keyboard. I tried it and usually end up on SDF and E or some other. Why would you go to other keys when the arrow keys have such a unique arrangement as to alleviate any doubt as to where your fingers are? 

Yes, you got that right, its because on the left side of the keyboard and  you have wide range of keys accessible without moving your hand.

I used to be a massive PC Gamer until I got my PS4 back in December 2014... since then, it took a back burner. 

Recently, I upgraded my PC to be 4K ready (Ryzen 1700x, 16GB 3000Mhz ram, GeForce 1080Ti etc) and I just can't seem to grasp keyboard and mouse again. Too many keys to learn lol.
I've got a QPAD MK-90 Mechanical Keyboard (programmable lighting on each key) and some high DPI gaming mouse...

I still use either an Xbox One S controller wired, or a DualShock 4 wired controller... I know, I know...

On 9/29/2017 at 4:26 AM, BottleTop said:

@Mando...Do you have the "clacking" that I hear in so many mechanical keyboards?

Yup. Very "clacky", took a while to get used to it, but i miss my mech keyboard when typing at work.

I swear by the following :- 

razer-deathadder-lefthand-gallery-1.thumb.png.b4d27939974e7b9dd0fcd49f3a958e3b.png

Razer Deathadder LH Edition 

razer-blackwidow-chroma-v2-hero.thumb.png.487b61ff889b15609a7bdbf14d6f690c.png

222061_screenshot_01_l.thumb.jpg.cc072db71c75b02c8d9d6ba7c848f7bb.jpg

Wired Xbox 360 controller, for the most part. If I were playing a twitch shooter, I'd want a mouse, but my mouse is a little too small, and generally assigned to my laptop. Desktop has a trackball. Not the best thing for a shooter, about as good as a controller IMO. It's better for games like Diablo and anything like that (strategy, RPGs). Really though, I don't play those games anyway.

I just got a point and click adventure, Thimbleweed Park, and it works pretty amazing with the controller. It doesn't feel right playing what looks like an Amiga game, with an Xbox controller, but it works well. So for something like that, it depends on whether I want to be leaning over a keyboard, or leaning back in my chair with the controller.

I get the keyboard and mouse argument. They were there for us when controllers sucked. And for a shooter, you can't do much better than a mouse for aiming. And while I started with Wolf3D (Wolfenstein) and Doom, I think the real definitive shooters of that era were Unreal Tournament '99 and Quake III Arena. Those were the real big keyboard/mouse shooters. But times have changed, and now Halo's the big one, or at least it used to be. It's all controllers now anyway. Microsoft got controllers right, and they got drivers right, too. Drivers were always a hassle back in the day. Now we have DirectInput and Xinput and it just works. I play a game like, say, Tomb Raider 2013 or Deus Ex Human Revolution (2011) and it's just the same as if on Xbox, with the button prompts and everything just right. Same as if you're using keyboard and mouse, the prompts adapt to what you use. But that was another thing we never had right in the early days of PC gaming. The prompts were never good because there wasn't a standard button layout. Another problem Microsoft went and fixed.

So now it just comes down to how you like your aiming. Stick or mouse (or trackball).

• 2 weeks later...

Upgraded my mouse to a SteelSeries Rival 310 - man it is good with it's 1-2-1 precision. Much better than my other mouse.

8 minutes ago, WildWayz said:

Upgraded my mouse to a SteelSeries Rival 310 - man it is good with it's 1-2-1 precision. Much better than my other mouse.

yep most gaming mice are decent, there is a difference, especially if you can increase the usb polling rate on the devices.

I see a better response in Pubg when i bought my Razer mech keyboard, i used to see half a second delay (ish) when pressing F to open a door, now it opens instantly. who would have thought it, i always thought it was a gimmick, but it aint :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2017 at 7:32 AM, devobitch said:

logitech M570 trackball and logitech G13 Gaming keyboard

I've used a trackball for many, many years now.  It's the only thing I use on my home PC and I even keep one at work for when I'm at lunch.  I don't like the Logitech models, though.  Their tracking is great (and I even use the ball from a M570 on my Elecom trackball, because it's more precise), but they only seem interested in making wireless models.  For gaming, I far prefer having a wired model.  The new version they just announced has an option to plug it in, but I haven't been able to find out if it acts like a wired mouse then or if it just charges through USB but still communicates wireless.

As for keyboard, I'm pretty rough on them so I just use whatever cheap keyboard I can find.  They work well enough for me.

On 10/6/2017 at 5:10 AM, dragontology said:

So now it just comes down to how you like your aiming. Stick or mouse (or trackball).

Or where you are playing.

My PC is connected to my TV with a long HDMI cable and i have a wireless keyboard in front of my TV to control it (can switch screen using win+p shortcut). I use it as a media center. I think it works better than using a console or some things like Apple TV.

I play my offline PC games on my TV more and more with Steam big picture or Launchbox big box. When i do then it's using a 360 controller. I mean using a mouse while lying on the couch is not very practical ;)