Whats the best Audiobook Player for Windows?

Question

Hi there.

Im looking for a good audiobook player for my Windows PC.

I tried using WinAmp but winamp doesn't save playing positions when i close it and i don't want to use one from the windows store as i prefer native lean apps.

Do you know one you could recommend?

11 answers to this question

most players will save position if you use an audiobook format, which also solves a number of other issues. though since a lot of of them just use one huge(bad idea) mp3 file or several small(annoying) mp3's it will require some work to convert to m4b or something. 

not sure I would consider it a lot of work to convert to m4b format.. There are quite a few tools out there to do that.. I been using mp3 to ipod converter for years

http://www.freeipodsoftware.com./download.php

There is also chapter and verse which allows lots of features for chapters and info from internet about them..

I have had need to listen to audiobooks on my PC, its always done from my phone or plex server or shoot even on my stereo via alexa via audible.. When using audible its nice since all your devices sync to your spot.. So if I listen to something via my stereo, then go for a walk and take my phone it knows where I left off, etc.

As of recent I have been using bound on my iphone.. Best 4$ you will ever spend if your into audiobooks - links with dropbox, googledrive and can pull down your m4b's and there you go.. I have been converting all my old time radio stuff to this.. Dimension X, X minus 1, etc. And just converted all my copies of the complete foundation series to m4b since I want to re-read/listen to this and I had them in mp3 format..  Looking for the rest of heechee saga as well - since all I have is gateway - guess have to use my credits on audible to get the rest ;)

On 2/19/2017 at 6:17 PM, BudMan said:

not sure I would consider it a lot of work to convert to m4b format.. There are quite a few tools out there to do that.. I been using mp3 to ipod converter for years

http://www.freeipodsoftware.com./download.php

There is also chapter and verse which allows lots of features for chapters and info from internet about them..

I have had need to listen to audiobooks on my PC, its always done from my phone or plex server or shoot even on my stereo via alexa via audible.. When using audible its nice since all your devices sync to your spot.. So if I listen to something via my stereo, then go for a walk and take my phone it knows where I left off, etc.

As of recent I have been using bound on my iphone.. Best 4$ you will ever spend if your into audiobooks - links with dropbox, googledrive and can pull down your m4b's and there you go.. I have been converting all my old time radio stuff to this.. Dimension X, X minus 1, etc. And just converted all my copies of the complete foundation series to m4b since I want to re-read/listen to this and I had them in mp3 format..  Looking for the rest of heechee saga as well - since all I have is gateway - guess have to use my credits on audible to get the rest ;)

It's about infinity more work than just hitting play though.  and conversion is simple and not quite as useful as m4b out the gate. though it does the most important stuff. I only really bothered with books that where ne long mp3 though, since at least the ipods of the past couldn't handle mp3s over 25 hours. or so. 

23 hours ago, Yogurth said:

Unfortunately there are only handful of options for PC and here are two, one is Free the other isn't. Both will remember where You left off.

Audiobook Player

https://www.codeproject.com/kb/cs/audiobookplayer.aspx

Angel's Vox

http://www.superutils.com/products/angels-vox/

Most mp3 players handle audiobooks just fine, including foobar and others. it's just what they are, and with multiple files you continue where you left of, o you convert to m4b, and they still do it and sync it back to the file for any other software to pick up. 

I am not a fan of hundreds of mp3 files..  I just put them in a m4b file and put them on my dropbox.. Really takes all of a couple of seconds to do it..  I wouldn't use the term infinity more work ;) to describe that.. hehehe

Then I can just load them up on my phone when ready for the next book.. But sure audible is easier - if they would just let you order through the app, which doesn't seem possible??  Not sure why - just just be able click add this to my library.. Then yeah that would be way simple ;)

On 2/20/2017 at 7:47 PM, BudMan said:

I am not a fan of hundreds of mp3 files..  I just put them in a m4b file and put them on my dropbox.. Really takes all of a couple of seconds to do it..  I wouldn't use the term infinity more work ;) to describe that.. hehehe

well, it is infinitely more than nothing ;p

On 2/20/2017 at 7:47 PM, BudMan said:

Then I can just load them up on my phone when ready for the next book.. But sure audible is easier - if they would just let you order through the app, which doesn't seem possible??  Not sure why - just just be able click add this to my library.. Then yeah that would be way simple ;)

hmm I order through the app all the time...

let me guess, iPhone ? it's not audibles fault, but Apples. Amazon and others removed all ability to buy form in apps on Apple after Apple insisted on not allowing in app stores or getting 30% of the cut from items bought in apps. this would mean Amazon would have to increase in app prices on Apple devices by over 30%, this was bad for both image and consumers. 

Yeah its a work iphone 7.. It did seem strange when you browse in the app for a book - there is just a link on how to download..  Bas_ards!!! ;)

To be honest - prob saves me from lots of impulse purchases.. Oh yeah that looks good click, oh yeah that looks good too click ;)