• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mazda MX-5 RF With Retractable Hard Top Makes Global Debut

Hum    6,933

Having an MX-5 makes life richer and more fun. With this small, convertible sports car, we want to offer even more people a fun-filled life through driving pleasure.

Many people who would love to own a convertible end up choosing a car with a fixed hardtop roof instead. Hoping to share the wonder and thrill that come with putting the top down with this kind of customer, we offered a Power Retractable Hardtop for the first time on the third-generation MX-5. The first and second generations had both offered a detachable hardtop, but with its motor-driven retractable roof, the third-generation model made the joy of open-top driving accessible to a wider range of people and was a hit with customers around the world. With the hardtop version of the fourth-generation Mazda MX-5, we stayed true to our aim of making open-top driving more accessible, but freed ourselves from traditional ways of thinking and took on new challenges in order to create something completely new, the Mazda MX-5 RF.

more

6B7F4B1FE8384294BC52882ACD79F82C.gif

• Like 2

Draconian Guppy    13,038

zoom zoom!

• Like 4

sc302    1,789

Go kart with no powerplant is unimpressive. Put in a wankle or a turbo v6, then I will be moderately interested.

• Like 2

Brandon C.    116

Nice, though I still rather have a BRZ, mainly for how many set of 5x100 wheels I have.

Jason S.    1,540

i think it looks pretty nice. it's probably pretty light, too, so it'll go like hell. im pretty unimpressed by the 155hp @ 6000 rpm. 148 lb ft torque @ 4600 rpm means this car isnt going anywhere fast...

Mando    5,117
7 hours ago, sc302 said:

Go kart with no powerplant is unimpressive. Put in a wankle or a turbo v6, then I will be moderately interested.

i said the same until I bought a Japanese imported RS spec Mk 1.5, 1600 supercharged (1990 model BRG with tan leathe rinterior) went like stink. Eunos Roadster. they weigh about the same as a Fiesta.

grudgingly 10 years later i sold it on, biggest mistake i ever made. 

think roofless rear wheel drive mini 1275GT and your not far from the feel. No LSD and you had to be alert in the wet, it would slap the steering wheel if you didnt pay attention :) 

no matter how much abuse i gave it over that decade, it started without a burp and you always came out grinning like an idiot on our back roads with it. 

the Mk 1, 1.5s and mkIIs have plenty of aftermarket tuning. a proper pocket rocket,

I think the new one looks stunning, im very tempted.

Edited by Mando

sc302    1,789

Understand I am coming from the experience of having a car that was more sports than car, a car that had 3 to 4 times the power. 400-600 to the wheels is a nice amount of power to have on the street.  I have 200 in my current hybrid, I would expect the Mazda to be a little more energetic than my hybrid due to weight but wouldn't be as much fun as my old car at 300 whp. 

• Like 1

Mando    5,117
11 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Understand I am coming from the experience of having a car that was more sports than car, a car that had 3 to 4 times the power. 400-600 to the wheels is a nice amount of power to have on the street.  I have 200 in my current hybrid, I would expect the Mazda to be a little more energetic than my hybrid due to weight but wouldn't be as much fun as my old car at 300 whp. 

compared to that sort of power then yes :) seriously though, ive owned and driven Jappy imported scoobys WRX, Civic Type Rs and imported Celica Gti 16s and none made me grin like a fool like that little motor did. 

best bit was silly boy racers thinking heh look at that big fool in the hair dresser car, till i left them standing in their CRXs at the lights. Only the width of the rubbe ron the original rims gave any clue to the supercharged 1600 under the bonnet.

they handle beautifully and sound immense when your slung in the shell. 

eunos_roadster_v-special_0.jpg

that model but with the 1600 SC under the bonnet.  Japanese Import. 

had a momo corsa wheel fitted after I bought it.

Edited by Mando

sc302    1,789

None of those are all that impressive, perhaps if you modded the wrx heavily...really heavily. 

Believe me, I understand you going from those cars, it could be a welcome change. But understand, m3s aren't all that impressive to me. Gtrs catch me wanting them, great starting base and have a nice aftermarket to get more out of them. 

Mando    5,117
5 minutes ago, sc302 said:

None of those are all that impressive, perhaps if you modded the wrx heavily...really heavily. 

Believe me, I understand you going from those cars, it could be a welcome change. But understand, m3s aren't all that impressive to me. Gtrs catch me wanting them, great starting base and have a nice aftermarket to get more out of them. 

for our roads and where i am located up north, anything over say 3L is a fortune to run, petrol is over here over £1.15 a ltr. :) Diesel is dearer at £1.17 a ltr. 

Id love nothing more than a big fast motor, but to own and run one is a mortgage :p you Us`ers are sooo lucky :) 

Localish to me, thats the sorta roads I have around me :) 

http://www.northcoast500.com/

what    326
8 hours ago, sc302 said:

Totally missing the point of the MX-5.

I think the lack of twisty winding roads in the US probably does the car no favours there though. But come to the UK and tackle a B road in one and you'll understand why they are good fun little cars.

Luckily the engines in the new ones are ripe for tuning.

• Like 2

sc302    1,789

Oh I get it. Believe me. Hp can't be used fully in the turns. However, learning throttle control and learning how your car handles in different situations is better than being able to flat foot your way around the track. 

That car would be really fun with about 300bhp and some track shoes. 

• Like 1

what    326
10 hours ago, sc302 said:

Oh I get it. Believe me. Hp can't be used fully in the turns. However, learning throttle control and learning how your car handles in different situations is better than being able to flat foot your way around the track. 

That car would be really fun with about 300bhp and some track shoes. 

I think that's the point though, it isn't a track day car. Not as it leaves the factory anyway. They're nippy and light enough to have fun on the road but not so fast that you're going to kill yourself. Small wheels reduce unsprung weight and let you get a gentle push from the rear powering out of a bend, and nothing more.

Keeping it low power, low weight makes the car cheaper and affordable for the masses.

The formula has worked well for years now. I'm sure Mazda themselves will tell you if you want to do trackdays, the MX-5 isn't for you. All the promo material suggests its a road car anyway.

sc302    1,789
I think that's the point though, it isn't a track day car. Not as it leaves the factory anyway. They're nippy and light enough to have fun on the road but not so fast that you're going to kill yourself. Small wheels reduce unsprung weight and let you get a gentle push from the rear powering out of a bend, and nothing more.

Keeping it low power, low weight makes the car cheaper and affordable for the masses.

The formula has worked well for years now. I'm sure Mazda themselves will tell you if you want to do trackdays, the MX-5 isn't for you. All the promo material suggests its a road car anyway.

I am not the only one who would like to see a bit more power in the car. It doesn't have to light the roads on fire, just have a bit more power to keep up with other sports cars. If I am buying a sports car I want the whole package. I understand it isn't a Porsche. Understand that low power means anyone can drive it, you can just about pedal it in the turns without much worry about having the car do anything irresponsible and why most people like it on a road course. Power requires to actually take time to not only handle the track but also handle the car. The car will respond differently to different turns and different levels of gas and gear. It is the difference between riding a bucking bronco and taking a seat on a metro train. While the train is more refined and is on rails, the bronco requires a level of knowledge and restraint to get it to calm down and run the course, it has the potential of running faster than the train provided you spend the time with it to learn the track and learn the car.

astropheed    2,335

Oh shiii I want that. It's a toss up between this and a Lotus Elise/Exige (obviously used). I really love the zippyness of the MX-5 series. Driven one a long time ago and it was probably the most fun I've had driving a car.

Still probably get the Exige though.

Edit:
How can you say no to this face!
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Lotus-Exige-2006/SSE-AD-4333706/?Cr=3

cp5170486183343854481.jpg

Mando    5,117
4 minutes ago, astropheed said:

Oh shiii I want that. It's a toss up between this and a Lotus Elise/Exige (obviously used). I really love the zippyness of the MX-5 series. Driven one a long time ago and it was probably the most fun I've had driving a car.

Still probably get the Exige though.

Edit:
How can you say no to this face!
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Lotus-Exige-2006/SSE-AD-4333706/?Cr=3

cp5170486183343854481.jpg

tbh id have the MX-5 over a lotus.......you can guarantee the Mx-5 will take years of abuse and start every day without fail. Didnt have a single hardware failure in my Eunos in the 10 years I had it (bar servicing, battery replacement etc) tough as old boots, Lotus, nah. its UK built for a start :) theres a reason the British car industry is more or less non-existant these days :)

sc302    1,789

Lotus are ugly cars. I can not only say no, I can say hell no. Lol

astropheed    2,335
1 minute ago, sc302 said:

Lotus are ugly cars. I can not only say no, I can say hell no. Lol

You crazy. Sexiest little car I've ever seen. Been in love with it for well over a decade.

To each their own.

sc302    1,789

the back is nice, reminiscent of a older corvette, the front got hit with the ugly stick covered in tar and feathers. 

Sexy is lambo. Even ugly Porsche is better looking than lotus. 

I liked the the simplicity of the lotus esprit. The Elise is a cross between an Aztek and a corvette mixed with some sort of ugly shark. 

tsupersonic    1,920

Eh, would rather have the Fiat 124:

124spider_mm-4db_m_ant-fiat-124-spider-s

Hum    6,933

Can't touch my Lambo :p

The Evil Overlord    18,442

I understand some of the displeasure some have posted about the mx5, it was never meant to be a fast car, mazda are more known for economy.

For what it is, it's a nice little car, but I'd be interested in how they kept the lightness and balance they used to boast about with the earlier generation cars..

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 2:05 PM, sc302 said:

I wouldn't go with a wankel, too thirsty for the performance output. A Turbo or a Screw Supercharger on 4 cylinders on the other hand. (Ford used to sell the Sierra Cosworth RS500 in the UK on a 2 litre 4 cylinder Turbocharged engine although it never actually produced 500 horses it wasn't all that far off.)

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:06 PM, sc302 said:

I am not the only one who would like to see a bit more power in the car. It doesn't have to light the roads on fire, just have a bit more power to keep up with other sports cars. If I am buying a sports car I want the whole package. I understand it isn't a Porsche. Understand that low power means anyone can drive it, you can just about pedal it in the turns without much worry about having the car do anything irresponsible and why most people like it on a road course. Power requires to actually take time to not only handle the track but also handle the car. The car will respond differently to different turns and different levels of gas and gear. It is the difference between riding a bucking bronco and taking a seat on a metro train. While the train is more refined and is on rails, the bronco requires a level of knowledge and restraint to get it to calm down and run the course, it has the potential of running faster than the train provided you spend the time with it to learn the track and learn the car.

It's based on an old british principal, a quintessential british sports car of the 70's onwards, as Colin Chapman once said, Simplify, and add lightness.

It's not meant to set any records, just offer what lotus and MGBTG's used to offer, a simple open feeling road car without the excessive power that made some of the open top cars of the '60's dangerous on UK roads

(AC Cobra and the like)

• Like 1