Clicking from forum doesnt take me to comment

Hey guys, 

here's what I mean:

If i'm within the forum and I get quoted from the frontpage and I click said quote in the notification menu, it takes me to the article, but doesn't take me directly to where the reply quoted me and have to manually scroll down and look for it.  Is this default or is it a bug? 

• Like 3

I think it's by default, it happens with me as well. I just assumed it was because when you go to an article the comments aren't loaded until you scroll down, so there isn't a comment to scroll down to when you first hit the page.

Just now, Nick H. said:

I think it's by default, it happens with me as well. I just assumed it was because when you go to an article the comments aren't loaded until you scroll down, so there isn't a comment to scroll down to when you first hit the page.

Ah I see. But then what if I get several quotes in an article that has hundreds of replies :/ (which happens), having to manually scour between comments is kinda impractical and kinda defeats the purpose of notification

• Like 3

Just now, Draconian Guppy said:

Ah I see. But then what if I get several quotes in an article that has hundreds of replies :/ (which happens), having to manually scour between comments is kinda impractical and kinda defeats the purpose of notification

In that regard, it was better when the article comments were mirrored in the forums. You could be taken right to the latest response without having to sift.

And I know the background color is supposed to be different on new comments, but I'm colorblind and can't see any difference ...

4 minutes ago, DConnell said:

In that regard, it was better when the article comments were mirrored in the forums. You could be taken right to the latest response without having to sift.

And I know the background color is supposed to be different on new comments, but I'm colorblind and can't see any difference ...

agree, really hard to follow up quoted comments in the front page, most of the time, I don't even bother, just because the comments aren't even loaded, it adds time to what should be streamlined IMO anyway.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2017 at 3:21 PM, DConnell said:

I miss that the comments were mirrored in the forum because if I replied, I'd get e-mail notifications.

I get no e-mail notifications if someone replies to a comment on a news post :(

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I'd like the mirroring back, too. The background for new comments shows up as an aqua color as compared to just white for older ones for me.

Also, on the comment system for articles, you only get basic formatting options (bold, italic, underline and strikethrough), nothing for bullet points etc.

Seperating them was an awful decision :(

7 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

Also, on the comment system for articles, you only get basic formatting options (bold, italic, underline and strikethrough), nothing for bullet points etc.

Seperating them was an awful decision :(

they were getting punished by the ad company :/ for double links, it was explained. But yeah.  The comment system for the front page just feels like it doesn't belong there eg. not streamlined, more like put on top and hope it works

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I'd almost say replace the front page comments with the Disqus applet personally

I like Discus :)

16 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

There are more improvements for the front page comments in the pipeline, but there's a few other things ahead of that at the moment

whatever happened to sneak peaks and you know, maybe feedback :p

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

whatever happened to sneak peaks and you know, maybe feedback :p

Nothing, there's just nothing to see yet. As I said, there are other things ahead of it in the queue at the moment (and most of those are behind the scenes things, not stuff members will see)

On 2/3/2017 at 7:30 AM, Draconian Guppy said:

they were getting punished by the ad company :/ for double links, it was explained. But yeah.  The comment system for the front page just feels like it doesn't belong there eg. not streamlined, more like put on top and hope it works

And that could have been delt with by hiding the forum from guests.

On 2/2/2017 at 1:19 PM, Eric said:

I'd like the mirroring back, too. The background for new comments shows up as an aqua color as compared to just white for older ones for me.

I'd like the mirroring back, *if* the issue with the bad formatting gets fixed.

On 2/2/2017 at 1:30 PM, Draconian Guppy said:

How about the fact that replies to comments only get indented once? :/ It makes it literally impossible to follow a conversation without guesswork.

• Like 1