AMD Ryzen CPU lineup leaked, will have 17 versions with the flagship R7 1800X 'Black Edition' CPU at 4GHz

AMD is only weeks away from launching their next-gen Ryzen CPUs, and now we're hearing that there will be a massive lineup of new processors, with 17 chips in total. This is good news, rolling in off the back of AMD's impressive quarterly financial report.

2hqxrvq.png

We know that AMD is preparing a Ryzen CPU with 8 cores and 16 threads, at 4GHz - but we haven't known the model of this processor... until now. AMD will reportedly don the R7, R5, and R3 series of SKUs - with the flagship AMD R7 1800X processor 8C/16T, with the performance to reach the Core i7-6900K (which goes for $1037 on Amazon right now). We've been hearing about performance on the purported R7 1800X for a while now, but it seems like we can expect the X series models to be the "Black Edition" processors, primed for the enthusiasts.

2lmnhwm.jpg

AMD will have 5 processors in the Ryzen R7 family, which all feature 8C/16T of Zen goodness - led by the R7 1800X, and joined by the R7 PRO 1800, R7 1700X, R7 1700, and R7 PRO 1700. AMD will have its mid-range R5 series, which will come in 6C/12T variants, while the R3 will compete against Intel's new Pentium and Core i3 processors with 4C/4T.   As for pricing, we can only estimate that AMD will price its R7 1800X at the $499-$699 market - and motherboards should be cheaper than the Intel alternative, as well as a $300-$500 saving from the Core i7-6900K. I think the Ryzen R5 series processors will be one of the best-selling CPUs of 2017, with 6-core/12-thread CPU performance and 3.5GHz base clocks to be impressive if AMD can hit up the $200-$400 market with these CPUs.   ETA? AMD will unveil these processors in a couple of weeks, with a larger launch at GDC 2017 in early March. We will be covering the new Ryzen CPUs as much as we can, with previews, reviews, and trade show coverage in the coming weeks. 

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/56124/amd-ryzen-flagship-cpu-r7-1800x-8c-16t-4ghz/index.html

Edited by illegaloperation

Let's hope these offer good performance and some much needed competition for Intel.

3 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

Oh...AMD is attacking entire desktop Core iX line. This is unprecedented. They must be very confident in the chip. Now only if the prices would follow my inner enthusiasm :)

They are a long time coming. Intel had power over them for so long...

I don't know if the leak is accurate or not but I am excited.  Just want to see the prices.  They can't charge what Intel does after this long without any direct competition, but I still have no idea what they are charging.

Building ASAP though.

11 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

I wonder if those CPUS will run hotter than Intel's, if they do then I don't think I will switch.

Most likely yes.  AMD said they'll automatically overclock when they can, though I don't know if that applies to the whole lineup.

The default cooler should be great though since they replaced the crappy stuff in their recent APUs with something enthusiast worthy.

1 minute ago, LostCat said:

Most likely yes.  AMD said they'll automatically overclock when they can, though I don't know if that applies to the whole lineup.

The default cooler should be great though since they replaced the crappy stuff in their recent APUs with something enthusiast worthy.

I'll see but if I see the TDP up the roof then no.

1 minute ago, Danielx64 said:

I'll see but if I see the TDP up the roof then no.

It's 95 same as most of their procs.  I assume you'll be able to lower it yourself with cTDP like in their Kaveri and Carrizo procs.

12 minutes ago, xendrome said:

This is going to turn into yet another AMD marketing promise with real-word failure with performance/price being lower/higher then Intel. That is my prediction.

Good thing board manufacturers don't seem to share that opinion.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, xendrome said:

This is going to turn into yet another AMD marketing promise with real-word failure with performance/price being lower/higher then Intel. That is my prediction.

Hope not.  Intel needs some more competitive competition...and kicked into gear. :) 

• Like 2

Just now, Luc2k said:

Good thing board manufacturers don't seem to share that opinion.

board manufactures will make items to sell to make money, and they will make money. But an enthusiast or gamer thinking AMD is going to destroy Intel or even compete at the same price/performance ratio is going to end up regretting the purchase, my opinion.

13 minutes ago, xendrome said:

board manufactures will make items to sell to make money, and they will make money. But an enthusiast or gamer thinking AMD is going to destroy Intel or even compete at the same price/performance ratio is going to end up regretting the purchase, my opinion.

What would be the point of so many mobo models if it's not competitive? Not competitive, means it won't sell, therefore they'd be wasting money. And everybody knows that AMD lacks mind share when compared with Intel and Nvidia as even when they are ahead they sell less, so that would make their support even less likely.

Also, what is there to regret? The damn things will not be up for pre-order and reviews will be out as soon as they're launched. If they undercut current Intel price/performance by a decent margin, Kaby Lake buyers might feel genuine regret.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Destroy Intel?  Noone believes that.  Offer an actually competitive product?  Entirely possible, and likely will be cheaper because they need sales.

I understand your opinion given how long it's been since they've been directly competing, and I'm not saying I believe they'll be amazing.  But I think it'll definitely be worth the money.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

I wonder if those CPUS will run hotter than Intel's, if they do then I don't think I will switch.

AMD's new flagship octa-core processor is suppose to compete with Intel Core i7 6900.

AMD's processor has a 95W TDP while Intel's processor has a 140W TDP.

So, AMD processor might run cooler.

11 hours ago, LostCat said:

Destroy Intel?  Noone believes that.  Offer an actually competitive product?  Entirely possible, and likely will be cheaper because they need sales.

I understand your opinion given how long it's been since they've been directly competing, and I'm not saying I believe they'll be amazing.  But I think it'll definitely be worth the money.

I'd like to give this post 100 likes if it was possible.

<rant>

I'm getting tired of seeing all the hate toward amd,

Yes, intel is cooler, yes it is faster, yes it can do cartwheels while driving a unicycle and balancing 1000 eggs on a pin head while solving world hunger.

No one in the amd camp cares. The simple fact is, in real time use, amd aren't exactly a slouch, they're very capable chips, with modest price tags, and in regards to their heat output, all of my rigs, including this one which happens to be a very respectable 6350 black edition (rig was overbudget, so the idea of a 9590 had to be scrapped) are air cooled, I've never had any issue even under some crazy video converting with all the bells and whistles.

</rant>

Only time will tell if Ryzen will be a more modern competitor against intel. Even I'll admit the current or outgoing amd generation was a simpleton with added power compared to the refinements of intel's processor.

I for one don't want amd to out perform intel, even if they could, (which is unlikely,) purely as the price tag will closely match intel's on like for like flagship chips.

They're all there to serve a purpose, I'm happy for intel consumers opinions, and have no intention of trying to sway a user from one camp, or another.

I'm looking forward to see what Ryzen brings to the table.

21 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I'd like to give this post 100 likes if it was possible.

<rant>

I'm getting tired of seeing all the hate toward amd,

Yes, intel is cooler, yes it is faster, yes it can do cartwheels while driving a unicycle and balancing 1000 eggs on a pin head while solving world hunger.

No one in the amd camp cares. The simple fact is, in real time use, amd aren't exactly a slouch, they're very capable chips, with modest price tags, and in regards to their heat output, all of my rigs, including this one which happens to be a very respectable 6350 black edition (rig was overbudget, so the idea of a 9590 had to be scrapped) are air cooled, I've never had any issue even under some crazy video converting with all the bells and whistles.

</rant>

Only time will tell if Ryzen will be a more modern competitor against intel. Even I'll admit the current or outgoing amd generation was a simpleton with added power compared to the refinements of intel's processor.

I for one don't want amd to out perform intel, even if they could, (which is unlikely,) purely as the price tag will closely match intel's on like for like flagship chips.

They're all there to serve a purpose, I'm happy for intel consumers opinions, and have no intention of trying to sway a user from one camp, or another.

I'm looking forward to see what Ryzen brings to the table.

Just saying, There is no hate from me toward AMD. I used then before switching to Intel. If AMD was to get serious again about their stuff and perform just as well as Intel then I would look at then again in the future.

2 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

If AMD was to get serious again about their stuff and perform just as well as Intel then I would look at then again in the future.

What makes you think they're not serious?

Even the current gen are a beast of a processor chip.

So what if they don't perform as well under benchmarks, in real time use, where most consumers use computers, no one cares so long as it's doing it's job within an acceptable time frame.

In real terms we're talking about an amd being a couple, or even a few seconds slower compared to a rival flagship intel chip.

Had it been minutes, I would have joined the intel camp as preached their superiority alongside everyone else.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

What makes you think they're not serious?

Even the current gen are a beast of a processor chip.

So what if they don't perform as well under benchmarks, in real time use, where most consumers use computers, no one cares so long as it's doing it's job within an acceptable time frame.

In real terms we're talking about an amd being a couple, or even a few seconds slower compared to a rival flagship intel chip.

Had it been minutes, I would have joined the intel camp as preached their superiority alongside everyone else.

It must have been the CPU and motherboard that I had at the time. The CPU was one of those ones that had built in graphic from the A6- or A8- series. I given my work the motherboard and CPU so I will get the full spec later this week.

Late last year was one year since I switched and I think I had that CPU/MB combo for like 3/4 years.

I want to see their new GPU line more than there CPU. NVidia is getting waaay too powerful and unlike Intel they do not have a licensing agreement on x86 like AMD does thanks to IBM back in 1981. I want Freesync, async compute, directx 12 full (not partial), and a much much cheaper GPU line up.

Come on no GPU should be over $350 tops! Remember when the most powerful GPU in the world was like $399? Yes back in 2010 Nvidia's were ALOT CHEAPER. Now a low end 1060 is $300 because it says "founders edition". Meanwhile it is not even directx 12 fully compliant and CUDA, gameworks, and g-sync are subverting standards. 

I want gamers to first see the AMD as better CPUs. THen see the GPUs about as good if not better. Say goodbye to Nvidia fanboy loyality soon and cheaper prices for all

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

It must have been the CPU and motherboard that I had at the time. The CPU was one of those ones that had built in graphic from the A6- or A8- series. I given my work the motherboard and CPU so I will get the full spec later this week.

Late last year was one year since I switched and I think I had that CPU/MB combo for like 3/4 years.

Their APU line has pretty much stagnated perf wise since it came out until Carrizo.  I'm not saying it's horrible, but it's not what he's talking about.

• Like 1