AMD Ryzen CPU lineup leaked, will have 17 versions with the flagship R7 1800X 'Black Edition' CPU at 4GHz

4 hours ago, illegaloperation said:

Get ready for a lot of whining.

Why is Windows 7 not supported!

It's all greedy M$ fault!

Intel has been in the same boat since Skylake, so if there was whining to be had you'd think people would've gotten it out of the way already.

On 2/7/2017 at 8:16 PM, Alera said:

This leak is  surely fake, Ryzen is due to come out with a minimum clock speed of 3.4GHz which is what AMD said at their event.

EDIT: AMD breaking right after warranty? I'm still running a Phenom 9850 Black Edition from 2008!

My FX-6300 is still working great but I do plan on upgrading once the benchmarks come out.

4 hours ago, illegaloperation said:

Get ready for a lot of whining.

Why is Windows 7 not supported!

It's all greedy M$ fault!

If You are referring to Ryzen, AMD stated few days ago that it will be fully supported under Windows 7, unlike Skylake or Kaby Lake, as the Windows 7 drivers for entire Ryzen line are in completion stage.

44 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

If You are referring to Ryzen, AMD stated few days ago that it will be fully supported under Windows 7, unlike Skylake or Kaby Lake, as the Windows 7 drivers for entire Ryzen line are in completion stage.

They should work as it was tested on it, but there won't be any drivers. Can't wait for reviews.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

There is nothing to stop someone from installing windows 7, you may have some driver issues or you could get lucky and use windows 8.1 drivers.

Like you said, it would run, but without the proper drivers. If you run into issues, then you are on your own.

2 hours ago, LostCat said:

Intel has been in the same boat since Skylake, so if there was whining to be had you'd think people would've gotten it out of the way already.

Skylake is supported on Windows 7, but Kaby Lake is not.  Since Kaby Lake is not a significant upgrade from Skylake, many people just don't care.

2 hours ago, Yogurth said:

AMD told PCWorld that it won't be releasing drivers for Windows 7.

Good riddance. It's an eight-years old OS.

1 hour ago, illegaloperation said:

I know you created this thread, but mind keeping this about the CPUs and not your views on W7? Thanks.

In other news, here are the rumoured prices for EU and US.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Luc2k said:

Those prices are too good to be true.

Either they (the processors) are going to massively underperform expectations or they are going to be priced higher than that.

On 2/7/2017 at 4:08 PM, illegaloperation said:

Something sounds suspicious.

I have rarely heard of processors failing.

Almost every PC I've worked on, has been AMD based for anything that isn't personal. 6 out of 10 PCs, it's the CPU or Motherboard that's crapped out. I bought a single core AMD back in the early 2000s, I think it was around 2003 or 2004, after running it for 3 or 4 months, it died. I got a new one, it lasted about a year before crapping out. This was before I knew much about PCs, and didn't even DARE to overclock it, even though I was absolutely tempted too.

On 2/7/2017 at 4:14 PM, Luc2k said:

Well, I expected something more official out of curiosity. No need to break NDA or anything, I'll take your word for it. Even so, as far as core/thread count is concerned, it won't be that special when AMD will most likely launch before them.

As for personal experience, I've never saw CPU's breaking after warranty, be they AMD or Intel so I can't relate. Going by the number complaints in the Steam forums whenever a game has issues running due to SSE, I'd say there is a decent number of working Athlon IIs & Phenom IIs out there.

I looked back at the order, it seems to be the Purley platform, I'd post a screenshot but I'd have to edit 95% of the image out. Plus, a new change of management just happened, and I'm not about to ###### my new boss off, not after he promised to take better care of us contractors. I work in a lab, and a good portion of the work we do is a.pha / beta testing for Intel, Microsoft, etc.. We start working out the bugs for the new CPUs, and Motherboards. I work for VMWare as a contractor, but I do more than what my job description is. I'm supposed to be a rack n stack, cable, and configuration monkey, however I do breakfix, OS Installs, configuration, and a bunch of scripting. My boss doesn't know I do this either, lol.

On 2/7/2017 at 5:16 PM, Alera said:

This leak is  surely fake, Ryzen is due to come out with a minimum clock speed of 3.4GHz which is what AMD said at their event.

EDIT: AMD breaking right after warranty? I'm still running a Phenom 9850 Black Edition from 2008!

I've got you beat, easily, I'm running a Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz :p . I've got an old LGA775 proc from when it first debuted.

On 2/8/2017 at 0:26 AM, Nick H. said:

<Thread cleaned>

I have removed an image because of potential legal issues. I'm not a lawyer, but for that reason I think it best to err on the side of caution. (Y)

Thanks! I was going to post an image I found of them, however it gave out confidential info. I asked my other boss before I did it.

5 hours ago, Luc2k said:

I know you created this thread, but mind keeping this about the CPUs and not your views on W7? Thanks.

Heh. He's known for opinions but whatever. AMD always claims to produce something better than Intel or NVidia and always falls short. I remember a few years back all the hype of releasing a GFX card as powerful as the Titan, and for way less. It ended up being about as powerful as the generation before the 900 series cards, the highest end was almost as good as the 900s series. 

I'll always pick Intel / NVidia, for one I know people who work at both companies. No they don't give me insider information, we're not that good of friends. One of them is a Senior Network Engineer for NVidia, and the other is an Engineer for Test Beds.

16 hours ago, BinaryData said:

I looked back at the order, it seems to be the Purley platform, I'd post a screenshot but I'd have to edit 95% of the image out. Plus, a new change of management just happened, and I'm not about to ###### my new boss off, not after he promised to take better care of us contractors. I work in a lab, and a good portion of the work we do is a.pha / beta testing for Intel, Microsoft, etc.. We start working out the bugs for the new CPUs, and Motherboards. I work for VMWare as a contractor, but I do more than what my job description is. I'm supposed to be a rack n stack, cable, and configuration monkey, however I do breakfix, OS Installs, configuration, and a bunch of scripting. My boss doesn't know I do this either, lol.

Seeing has Intel just announced a 24-core based on Broadwell, it might take at least a couple of months for the 32-core Skylake to surface. I'm curios whose 32-core will launch first.

16 hours ago, BinaryData said:

Heh. He's known for opinions but whatever. AMD always claims to produce something better than Intel or NVidia and always falls short. I remember a few years back all the hype of releasing a GFX card as powerful as the Titan, and for way less. It ended up being about as powerful as the generation before the 900 series cards, the highest end was almost as good as the 900s series. 

I'll always pick Intel / NVidia, for one I know people who work at both companies. No they don't give me insider information, we're not that good of friends. One of them is a Senior Network Engineer for NVidia, and the other is an Engineer for Test Beds.

It doesn't always fall short, as on the GPU side there were plenty of times when they beat Nvidia. They don't have a halo product as often as Nvidia does but on average they are very competitive. And don't forget that AMD cards improve a lot in performance and remain viable for longer. The 700 series is best left forgotten.

Assuming that you're referring to the Fury X, that wasn't AMD's claim, that was just fans whipping themselves into a frenzy.

I'll always pick bang for buck because that sounds like the most reasonable way to spend my money.

8 hours ago, Luc2k said:

Seeing has Intel just announced a 24-core based on Broadwell, it might take at least a couple of months for the 32-core Skylake to surface. I'm curios whose 32-core will launch first.

It doesn't always fall short, as on the GPU side there were plenty of times when they beat Nvidia. They don't have a halo product as often as Nvidia does but on average they are very competitive. And don't forget that AMD cards improve a lot in performance and remain viable for longer. The 700 series is best left forgotten.

Assuming that you're referring to the Fury X, that wasn't AMD's claim, that was just fans whipping themselves into a frenzy.

I'll always pick bang for buck because that sounds like the most reasonable way to spend my money.

Hahahahahaha. My 9800GTX is still running with very little FPS Drop in it. I still push 60fps on CS:GO with it. Granted, I've babied the hell out of it.

This was oh, back in 2014 / 2015 time frame, it was a few months after the Titans came out, and every crapped the bed at the price.

I pick bang for my buck as well, however I usually wait until the next generation comes out. I upgraded from a 9800GTX to a 560GTX Ti, still running it now. I look at things like this "How long can I push this card before I need to upgrade to play the latest game, or develop using the latest technology?" I don't do a tech refresh every 3 - 5 years, I push 7 - 10, I'm pushing 7 years on my current machine. It's due for a new build.

On 2/9/2017 at 11:12 AM, illegaloperation said:

AMD told PCWorld that it won't be releasing drivers for Windows 7.

But you left out the part where they said it will still run just fine without them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

Hahahahahaha. My 9800GTX is still running with very little FPS Drop in it. I still push 60fps on CS:GO with it. Granted, I've babied the hell out of it.

This was oh, back in 2014 / 2015 time frame, it was a few months after the Titans came out, and every crapped the bed at the price.

I pick bang for my buck as well, however I usually wait until the next generation comes out. I upgraded from a 9800GTX to a 560GTX Ti, still running it now. I look at things like this "How long can I push this card before I need to upgrade to play the latest game, or develop using the latest technology?" I don't do a tech refresh every 3 - 5 years, I push 7 - 10, I'm pushing 7 years on my current machine. It's due for a new build.

CS:GO ain't exactly a demanding game. Anyway, the point wasn't that they wouldn't run games, just that, as new games appear, older Nvidia cards fare worse than their AMD launch equivalent. Anyway, we're fully offtopic by now.

Now, this is part of Intel's answer to Zen apparently. It says that its >15% faster than Kaby Lake in Sysmark, which might not mean anything in the real world seeing as it also says that Kaby Lake is 15% faster than Skylake. Most likely, it will be another 5% bump due to higher clocks.

5 minutes ago, Luc2k said:

Now, this is part of Intel's answer to Zen apparently. It says that its >15% faster than Kaby Lake in Sysmark, which might not mean anything in the real world seeing as it also says that Kaby Lake is 15% faster than Skylake. Most likely, it will be another 5% bump due to higher clocks.

Yeah, only in benchmarks...

38 minutes ago, xendrome said:

But you left out the part where they said it will still run just fine without them.

But it doesn't mean that the OS will be able to use all the new features

15 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Which features?

The reason Microsoft gave for tying Windows 10 to Kaby Lake and Ryzen was simple: Silicon and software needs to be designed and shipped in close conjunction, so that the software can support the features of the processor and vice versa. Windows 7, for example, simply couldn’t anticipate features that chip vendors would include later. Microsoft stopped mainstream support for Windows 7 in 2015, and extended support will end in 2020. (As it is, Microsoft only grudgingly added support for Intel’s prior Skylake chip on Windows 10 after customer complaints.)

“As new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support,” a Microsoft spokeswoman said last August. “This enables us to focus on deep integration between Windows and the silicon, while maintaining maximum reliability and compatibility with previous generations of platform and silicon.” 

At this point, AMD has “verified”, or tested, that a Windows 7 PC powered by Ryzen will boot. But will it take advantage of all of Ryzen’s capabilities? That seems less likely. Consider: Gamers are always seeking the most up-to-date GPU drivers to eke out the last little bit of performance from their graphics card. A Ryzen desktop won’t have to worry about properly supporting the sleep states that a notebook might, but there’s still a decent chance of something breaking.

As my colleague Brad Chacos notes, systems powered by Kaby Lake have booted an unsupported OS, namely Windows 8. Ryzen may as well. But there are two issues: compatibility, and performance. Even if Windows 7 boots Ryzen, a lack of support means that any bugs will probably not be patched. And it's totally unknown how a Ryzen system will perform compared to a Windows 10 Ryzen PC, and if all of Ryzen's features will be available on Windows 7.

There is one example in there.

10 hours ago, Tidosho said:

snip

I have personally had CPUs fail and like you, when I worked on the retail repair side of things I did see CPUs fail. They aren't as rare as the unicorn, like people in the thread have made them out to be.

Edited by Andrew

10 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

snip

In fairness, he is responding to illegaloperation :p 

I do to a certain degree, agree with the QC statement, I used to work at Epson when I turned 18, and the amount of printers we used to qc fail was astounding, some had to be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up (most common failure was esd related, as the esd bands didn't ground every single employee on the assembly line 100% of the time)

He may know more than I, as I can put my hand on my heart and say I've only ever lost one amd chip, and that was due to my own stupidity and lack of understanding at the time. (as a consumer only, no experience with cpu assembly)

Edited by Andrew
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

He may know more than I, as I can put my hand on my heart and say I've only ever lost one amd chip, and that was due to my own stupidity and lack of understanding at the time. (as a consumer only, no experience with cpu assembly)

you put glue on the underside of CPU? :laugh: