Google Pixel + In Car Bluetooth and OK Google

Hey guys, 

Recently got my Pixel after coming from in iPhone 5c and I've got a 2015 Subaru Crosstrek. 

Now my bluetooth was working flawless before with my iPhone to start with. 

On my Pixel right now with bluetooth, phone calls work both ways and music streaming. However what is not working is OK Google reading texts in either bluetooth mode or radio mode as well as OK google detection through my cars mic. Even when I initiate OK Google on the device, my cars infotainment system does not play the audio through it, but through the phone . I have checked my Google app settings and under voice I have selected through Bluetooth devices and have also set my cars BT settings so everything should work. Again everything worked fine when I had my iPhone so Im guessing its something Android 

Any suggestions ? 

A layman suggestion, have you tried a full factory reset on both devices?

I offer this as my bluetooth on my Oukitel wouldn't connect with a rented Toyota Avensis, yet my wife's HTC, my son's Sony, even my old Nokia N8 paired and worked flawlessly.

(Took a lot of searching to find out there was an issue within my phone after it updated, and it had to be factory reset, after that, it worked fine)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

A layman suggestion, have you tried a full factory reset on both devices?

I offer this as my bluetooth on my Oukitel wouldn't connect with a rented Toyota Avensis, yet my wife's HTC, my son's Sony, even my old Nokia N8 paired and worked flawlessly.

(Took a lot of searching to find out there was an issue within my phone after it updated, and it had to be factory reset, after that, it worked fine)

Yep, did that last night still no luck. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2017 at 11:40 AM, wv@gt said:

Hey guys, 

Recently got my Pixel after coming from in iPhone 5c and I've got a 2015 Subaru Crosstrek. 

Now my bluetooth was working flawless before with my iPhone to start with. 

On my Pixel right now with bluetooth, phone calls work both ways and music streaming. However what is not working is OK Google reading texts in either bluetooth mode or radio mode as well as OK google detection through my cars mic. Even when I initiate OK Google on the device, my cars infotainment system does not play the audio through it, but through the phone . I have checked my Google app settings and under voice I have selected through Bluetooth devices and have also set my cars BT settings so everything should work. Again everything worked fine when I had my iPhone so Im guessing its something Android 

Any suggestions ? 

Just to double check a few things, in Google Now's settings under Voice, do you have Speech Output turned 'on'?

Go to settings>bluetooth and select the car's system and make sure media output is checked to 'on.'

If that does not work, it could be your car's bluetooth only supports voice calls and not media playback. Some of the older systems only support voice and not other kinds of audio. I know WP gets around this by simulating a call to Cortana.

Just now, Circaflex said:

Just to double check a few things, in Google Now's settings under Voice, do you have Speech Output turned 'on'?

Go to settings>bluetooth and select the car's system and make sure media output is checked to 'on.'

If that does not work, it could be your car's bluetooth only supports voice calls and not media playback. Some of the older systems only support voice and not other kinds of audio. I know WP gets around this by simulating a call to Cortana.

Yup all those are checked and set up. Whats odd is that all this worked fine on my iPhone. If I initiated Siri, I could send commands through my cars mic. OK Google is not working like that. 

Likely no different to here.  iPhones work with the connectivity, Android doesn't, because car manufacturers are still a fair way up Apple's ass.

My Ford SYNC2 doesn't do any Android features, but using the car controls, Siri works (Update late last year to do it).

6 minutes ago, Nashy said:

Likely no different to here.  iPhones work with the connectivity, Android doesn't, because car manufacturers are still a fair way up Apple's ass.

My Ford SYNC2 doesn't do any Android features, but using the car controls, Siri works (Update late last year to do it).

Ahh, well that stinks if thats the case. I mean Im fine with music playback through Bluetooth and Phone calls, just would be nice to be able to use texting or ok google as well. 

On a side note if I were to want to use USB-C to play my music through, is that possible instead of Bluetooth? 

1 hour ago, wv@gt said:

Yup all those are checked and set up. Whats odd is that all this worked fine on my iPhone. If I initiated Siri, I could send commands through my cars mic. OK Google is not working like that. 

The iPhone probably handles it differently than android, see above how windows phone deals with it. 

1 hour ago, wv@gt said:

Ahh, well that stinks if thats the case. I mean Im fine with music playback through Bluetooth and Phone calls, just would be nice to be able to use texting or ok google as well. 

On a side note if I were to want to use USB-C to play my music through, is that possible instead of Bluetooth? 

In our MY14 Impreza with the standard system, USB works with iPhone and iPod.  I'm not sure on Android, as I rarely drive the car.