Is it safe to give someone online my bank account number for a wire transfer?

I've been asked online to provide a service in graphic design. I usually accept payments via PayPal. But this time the person requested to pay via a wire transfer. My bank is located in the U.S. and I have a checking account with them that can accept wire transfers.

My question is -- is it safe to let someone online know the following for the wire transfer of funds into my account?

Bank Name

Bank Routing Number
Account Number

Account Name

Thanks. It's written on your check along with the account number.

The reason I was concerned is because of how easily I could arrange wire transfers out of my checking account. For instance, I set up an investing account with eTrade and had them link it to my checking account and do wire transfers from my checking to eTrade without even letting my bank know. What would stop a person to do all this having the info I provided above? It's pretty much what I gave eTrade to do their wire transfers out of my checking account.

42 minutes ago, dd2017 said:

Thanks. It's written on your check along with the account number.

The reason I was concerned is because of how easily I could arrange wire transfers out of my checking account. For instance, I set up an investing account with eTrade and had them link it to my checking account and do wire transfers from my checking to eTrade without even letting my bank know. What would stop a person to do all this having the info I provided above? It's pretty much what I gave eTrade to do their wire transfers out of my checking account.

They won't be able to get money out of your bank account. They could continue to transfer money into your account though.

Not sure why they need your routing number, but yes, generally it is safe, as you are free to go into a bank, or phone in a sum of money using your card into someone else's account, that's about the sum total interaction a bank will allow if the account is not yours.

They cannot withdraw without your consent, and banks have safeguards against that in one form or another.

Regarding eTrade, YOU MUST go through their terms and conditions, (unless you have a legal team)

They're usually pretty straight forward, paypal can withdraw from my bank if needed, but almost never do, as I keep a small amount of money within my paypal account to cover small purchases via ebay and so on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dd2017 said:

I've been asked online to provide a service in graphic design. I usually accept payments via PayPal. But this time the person requested to pay via a wire transfer. My bank is located in the U.S. and I have a checking account with them that can accept wire transfers.

My question is -- is it safe to let someone online know the following for the wire transfer of funds into my account?

Bank Name

Bank Routing Number
Account Number

Account Name

All that info is on your checks. It's not really something to worry much about.