Move WhatsApp to SD-card on HTC Desie 620 phone

My dad has an HTC Desire 620 phone, and its internal memory is quite full (Android OS)

WhatsApp is the one app which consumes most of (t)his memory.

WhatsApp states "Moving WhatsApp to your memory card (SD card) is not possible at this time."

However, there are third party tools like AppMgr III and alike which can move apps like WhatsApp from the phone's internal memory to a SD card (http://www.how-android.com/thread-how-to-install-whatsapp-on-sd-card?page=2 or http://www.how-android.com/thread-move-whatsapp-to-sd-card-in-android).

Is this safe? Will this work? Does WhatsApp lag, hang or maybe crash? It's not supported, so what possible issues can there be (deletion of data or else)?

Or can the move to SD-card easily be done without problems and hickups?

Be aware that you need root and have to create a second partition on the SD card to use apps like Link2SD.

That said moving apps to the SD Card generally worked pretty well on my old HTC Desire I had from 2010 to 2012. You will find the phone might slow down a bit when loading up if you have lots of apps on the SD card, however when the app is loaded and in memory it works exactly as it would installed on the phones internal memory. 

Edit - Looking at that phone it has 8GB of internal storage, which is not a lot, however quite a lot compared to HTC's older android devices which really did suffer. My old Desire only had 350mb ish of space for user apps.

Are you sure he's not saving photos on the internal memory? Whatsapp on my phone is using around 100mb of space.

16 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

Be aware that you need root and have to create a second partition on the SD card to use apps like Link2SD.

That said moving apps to the SD Card generally worked pretty well on my old HTC Desire I had from 2010 to 2012. You will find the phone might slow down a bit when loading up if you have lots of apps on the SD card, however when the app is loaded and in memory it works exactly as it would installed on the phones internal memory. 

Edit - Looking at that phone it has 8GB of internal storage, which is not a lot, however quite a lot compared to HTC's older android devices which really did suffer. My old Desire only had 350mb ish of space for user apps.

Are you sure he's not saving photos on the internal memory? Whatsapp on my phone is using around 100mb of space.

The settings on the phone are implementing that all data/media is/should be stored on the memory card. However, despite these settings, the photos are stored 'within WhatsApp' and thus on internal memory

Can this trick/app easily be carried out? Does WhatsApp run smoothly? Or can he better get a new phone? (since this phone is already 2+ years old on a non-current and up-to-date Android version (5.x or maybe 6.x))