Question about BIOS-updating a motherboard

I have a build on PC Part Picker to upgrade my 2010 computer, and the only compatibility issue it says is that some motherboards might need a BIOS update before it can use a Kaby Lake processor. Does this mean if I put the whole thing together, it won't work at all without the BIOS update, or it will just not take full advantage of the new processor until I do? I'm just wondering how to BIOS flash a mobo without actually hooking it up, would I need to use my old CPU?  

If you want to look for fun, here's the list (I already have everything else) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JWMt4C (if you want to make recommendations please don't recommend anything that's substantially more expensive..)

Generally speaking, it will not work without the update. However, it is possible the board comes with the new firmware. In this case, if needs bios F20 to run Kaby Lake, which came out in November 2016. Where do you plan on buying the parts? It is possible you could email the shop and ask them to install the newest bios for you before sending the part. I doubt the new boards come with F20 because it is rather new, but you never know. You could always email them to ask ahead of time.

If your old CPU is the same socket, you could just use that to perform the BIOS update. Some new boards have a feature that allows bios updates without a CPU even installed, I know Asus does and I am sure others have followed.

if its a UEFI Bios you can download the bios and put  it on a usb stick and boot from it via bios, like circa mentioned Asus boards permit this. If yours has the option tell it UEFI before installing 10.

42 minutes ago, KatGamer said:

I have a build on PC Part Picker to upgrade my 2010 computer, and the only compatibility issue it says is that some motherboards might need a BIOS update before it can use a Kaby Lake processor. Does this mean if I put the whole thing together, it won't work at all without the BIOS update, or it will just not take full advantage of the new processor until I do? I'm just wondering how to BIOS flash a mobo without actually hooking it up, would I need to use my old CPU?  

If you want to look for fun, here's the list (I already have everything else) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JWMt4C (if you want to make recommendations please don't recommend anything that's substantially more expensive..)

only thing id say is the cooler, to use that K series to its advantage get a good cooler (without going too crazy), youll manage to OC past the supported boost mode easily (doubt youll push it past what your 2600k is capable of), without replacing your cooler. its worth the extra few bucks mate.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/93Crxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7

im in the same boat but im gonna wait another 6 months, if im going up , gonna stay with a k series i7 so 6700k no less for me.

Format a USB drive with FAT fs and download the latest BIOS firmware to it. When you finish building and boot up, enter the BIOS and choose Q-Flash then follow the steps to update from your USB drive.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if you could flash from USB on an initial boot. I was just gonna buy everything from Amazon since I already have Prime and the prices only vary by $2-3 for the parts I picked. 

I don't need to overclock, I just want to play some newer games that need better specs than what I have, like Cities Skylines. But I'll look at that new CPU cooler. :) 

If you want to see the old build I'm upgrading here it is, built in June 2010. 6 and a half years isn't bad. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nGm8RB

ETA forgot it was in my signature, lol!

Hello,

Some motherboards allow you to flash their UEFI/BIOS firmware without a compatible CPU installed.  Usually, this involves putting the firmware on a FAT32-formatted USB flash drive with a certain filename, plugging it into a specific USB 2.0 port, and pressing a button on the motherboard or certain combination of keys when the computer starts up.  Some manufacturers refer to this as a "BIOS recovery" flash.

I didn't see any mention of such a feature in the manual for the Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix-WIFI motherboard, but it might be a good idea to contact Gigabyte's tech support and ask them if such a feature is available.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky