Republic Wireless?

Anyone know anything about this? It looks like they are pretty good.

I'm looking at the $20 plan. Unlimited Text/Talk, 1GB data. I don't use my phone's internet a lot. When I do, it's around a Wi-Fi location.

Currently, I have my eyes on the Moto G (4th Gen). Here's full phone list: https://republicwireless.com/phones/ (I'm in zip code 53403)

I currently have Virgin Mobile, $35/mo, unlimited Talk/Text, 2GB Data. I own a Samsung Galaxy SIII.

Is this a smart move, or does this just smell fishy?

Edit: Says it runs off T-Mobile towers.

Edit2: Unless I go with the $15 plan, and Wi-Fi only...

Edited by Mindovermaster

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I'm looking at the $20 plan. Unlimited Text/Talk, 1GB data. I don't use my phone's internet a lot. When I do, it's around a Wi-Fi location.

Currently, I have my eyes on the Moto G (4th Gen). Here's full phone list: https://republicwireless.com/phones/ (I'm in zip code 53403)

I currently have Virgin Mobile, $35/mo, unlimited Talk/Text, 2GB Data. I own a Samsung Galaxy SIII.

It's up to you.   2GB data is better than 1GB data.  In case you don't have WIFI access in the area, you can use cellular access for quick web look ups.   Something like that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TAZMINATOR said:

It's up to you.   2GB data is better than 1GB data.  In case you don't have WIFI access in the area, you can use cellular access for quick web look ups.   Something like that. 

yeah, just that I don't use more than 1GB on my current phone...

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

It depends on the backbone (as in which carriers they leverage - as they are an MVNO).

Virgin Mobile USA uses T-Mobile's network (which I have a very LOW opinion of) - and that is as a former Virgin Mobile customer (both Tracfone and the Safelink lifeline subsidiary ALSO use T-Mobile for half their backbone - and my opinion remains unchanged).  Instead, I went with a CDMA device (for the specific reason that it would use the Verizon Wireless half of Tracfone's backbone - which has given me a LOT less grief).  The network matters - and it especially matters in terms of phone calls.

1 minute ago, PGHammer said:

It depends on the backbone (as in which carriers they leverage - as they are an MVNO).

Virgin Mobile USA uses T-Mobile's network (which I have a very LOW opinion of) - and that is as a former Virgin Mobile customer (both Tracfone and the Safelink lifeline subsidiary ALSO use T-Mobile for half their backbone - and my opinion remains unchanged).  Instead, I went with a CDMA device (for the specific reason that it would use the Verizon Wireless half of Tracfone's backbone - which has given me a LOT less grief).  The network matters - and it especially matters in terms of phone calls.

Virgin uses Sprint network.