Password Managers

I've been using 1Password with Dropbox for years now.  Not so keen on the new latest release of 1PW for Windows, they've written it from the ground up for Win10 and it's missing a lot of features from the previous version and I hate the UI.  I'll upgrade to it once they have it up to feature parity (which they are working on).

4 hours ago, T3X4S said:

I paid for the premium as well.  A nice little chrome add-on and my password sync travels across all of my devices.

Why even consider some no-named password manager from some company you never heard of where you are considering the possibility of "... if the developer has hidden malicious intentions, or is inexperienced in security..." ?

LastPass will do what you need, is well known, has multifactor authentication.

I wouldn't call then no name- they been around for years.

Anyhow with Dashlane, can you still sync with other devices by hand on the free version?

42 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

I wouldn't call then no name- they been around for years.

Anyhow with Dashlane, can you still sync with other devices by hand on the free version?

I wasnt referring to anyone in particular.   It was a reference to "some shady software" comment he made in OP.

On 2/11/2017 at 4:28 PM, LoboVerde said:

If Steve Gibson gives them the thumbs up I trust his recommendations.

As do I

9 hours ago, Nerd Rage said:

Ive tried most of them, used Roboform for years, but switched to Dashlane a couple years back.  Much cleaner and user friendly UI.  Not without it's issues, but it's the best one I've tried imo.

The one thing that always annoyed me about Roboform is how sloppy their print outs were. It was the dumbest thing ever.

LastPass Premium is a must-have, for sure. Random passwords + 2factor auth.

The only thing that concerns me with LastPass is their 2fa integrations. Don't keep the entire key-ring to your castle in one place. ;-)

The only thing that concerns me with LastPass is their 2fa integrations. Don't keep the entire key-ring to your castle in one place. ;-)

I agree about having LastPass handle your 2FA in app. It's very convenient and secured. But keeping some separation in my security identify tools is a good thing I think.

On ‎14‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 7:50 PM, Kyle said:

Right, having 2FA secrets in the same place as passwords defeats their purpose. 1Password does the same nonsense with their TOTP generator within the program. I use LastPass but don't have any 2FA secrets, secret answers or recovery codes saved in there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2017 at 7:04 AM, osel said:

Right, having 2FA secrets in the same place as passwords defeats their purpose. 1Password does the same nonsense with their TOTP generator within the program. I use LastPass but don't have any 2FA secrets, secret answers or recovery codes saved in there.

But people can also use Google Authenticator or other options if they want 

• 11 months later...
53 minutes ago, Disappointed with Dashlane said:

I've used Dashlane for the past year + & can share with you that it was the most expensive "free trial" ever at an expense of $40 a year.  Dashlane gives HIGHJACK a new name!  They literally highjack your passwords.  If Dashlane worked & I felt as though my passwords were sage that would be one thing.  However, that is not the case.  Dashlane has been very unreliable.  In trying to work things out with their customer service I can share it has been a very annoying experience.  Dashlane customer service appears to be nothing more than "autoresponders" that promise a lot but never delivers a Human to respond or to fix or reply.  Wonder what Dashlane has been doing with all of that investment money??  Yikes!  My best advice would be to Not Do Dashlane!

Why don't you clearly tell what went wrong with your Dashlane instead of bumping every password related thread with hate?

Pre 2.0 user here. Found nothing 'bad' about Dashlane. Can you describe what went wrong clearly?

On 2/11/2017 at 4:07 AM, BudMan said:

I use lastpass, and have been using it for years.  I store my bank passwords in there I have that much trust in them.  There is also the 2Fa part that even if someone got the password from lastpass account they would still need to beat the 2fa, etc..

I currently have 255 sites in my lastpass,  Plus other notes and such in there for info that are not website logins..

I  don't work for lastpass :-) but in a year have found a strange trust in it.  none of us can ever prove security, much like saying a search engine does not track us, but now and then a leap of faith from an informed user is necessary  I have far too many email accounts, and would be doomed if I had to recall them, or write them somewhere.  I also like having a "secure place to keep bank numberss, phone numbers , and like the password generators because I cannot keep making  up passwords that include special characters, uppercase, and  other stupid rules :-(  I still freak out for a comment when lastpass hiccups because if I screw up the password three straight  times, its "church" and hundreds of passwords and credentials are gone  ( I did  export them all in a csv file, but there  is too much riding on a failure or brain fart

the downside to anything related to the internet is that  developers are so ignorant that apps which work today can fail tomorrow.  when mozilla shoved their latest drum of sewage onto my pc without my okay :-(  last pass threw up, and still won't work in that bilge water called quantum, and several of the addons I loved, quit on me, and for the most part those addons played a big part in me keeping  in firefox.       the "geniuses"  have screwed the pooch with  videos.  I have to use chrome to watch Amazon videos, because they won't play in firefox.   

I think as a life tool the darn net is important and we have given too  many ninth graders too much power to screw with our lives.... I guess  I still have not gotten over why some snot nosed kid  got away with changing this "#" to"hashtag" , its a pound sign dammit! :-)   and the bank voice message  still says "press pound!  Soon apple or microsoft will change the world standard numeric keypad layout, just because they can..........  

no wonder aliens visit earth and go home without saying hello..............