Front page Comments (Replies) Are Out of Control

Guys,

We really need this fixed sooner rather than later. The issue with quotes not showing up in a comment, and the inability for indentation past one level of comment replies is making it nearly impossible to follow the conversations. In addition, I've seen it cause more than spat because people cannot tell who is replying to who and getting mixed messages. If you can't fix it in a timely manner, disable the comments until you can.

• Like 3

I really wish they would just bring back the forum thread mirroring for Front Page articles. You're absolutely right, it is almost impossible to follow the conversations on some of the articles with hundreds of replies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I really wish they would just bring back the forum thread mirroring for Front Page articles. You're absolutely right, it is almost impossible to follow the conversations on some of the articles with hundreds of replies.

Right ... I thought at one point there was a "reply in forum" option?  Where did that go?  That was supremely useful for this.

Oh, and when you click on a notification that someone quoted you/liked your comment....it will not take you to the front page post since the comments section always takes a second to load.  PITA

• Like 2

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

Oh, and when you click on a notification that someone quoted you/liked your comment....it will not take you to the front page post since the comments section always takes a second to load.  PITA

That is annoying.

If you change the 'Sort By' option to one of the 'Linear View' options, then all comments will appear in chronological order, just like when reading a forum thread, and quotes will be restored to the comments too.

Hopefully that will help matters until we can address the comments section in more depth.

18 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

If you change the 'Sort By' option to one of the 'Linear View' options, then all comments will appear in chronological order, just like when reading a forum thread, and quotes will be restored to the comments too.

Hopefully that will help matters until we can address the comments section in more depth.

It does not because replies to replies to replies do not indent properly. Once the tree gets ever so slightly complex, it just stops indenting. 

The quotes are visible when editing, so this shouldn't be that big of a deal to fix. 

43 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It does not because replies to replies to replies do not indent properly. Once the tree gets ever so slightly complex, it just stops indenting. 

The quotes are visible when editing, so this shouldn't be that big of a deal to fix. 

If you change it to linear view, it's flat, just like reading a thread in the forums

16 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

If you change it to linear view, it's flat, just like reading a thread in the forums

I'm not sure I am following. The lack of indentation is a problem. Removing it altogether doesn't seem like it would make things any less confusing. 

4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I'm not sure I am following. The lack of indentation is a problem. Removing it altogether doesn't seem like it would make things any less confusing. 

You regain the quotes. Others in this thread were saying they preferred the forum layout, this gives them the same layout that was available previously, when comments were mirrored to the forums.

1 minute ago, DaveLegg said:

You regain the quotes. Others in this thread were saying they preferred the forum layout, this gives them the same layout that was available previously, when comments were mirrored to the forums.

Oh I see. That will work for now.