Mechanical KB

I currently have a Corsair K97, and I love it, except for that it is Cherry MX Red.

The issue I have, is they are very touchy. If I were to type "t" and I hit close to the "y", it would come out "ty".

Before I had this K97, I had a Cherry MX Brown that I borrowed from a friend. It seems to be a bit tougher press than Red is.

I have my eyes on the Corsair STRAFE RGB. Nice change? (I can give my K97 to my Dad)

9 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I have this one. Seems to work OK for me, it has Brown keys so it is a tad noisy but not that bad.

Yeah, my friend's was a Tt model. It was a tad loud, but that didn't hurt me much. Turn up the music and you'll never notice. LOL

Hello,

I have used a keyboard with Kalih's Reds, which are supposed to be equivalent to Cherry's MX Reds (linear non-tactile switch, non-clicky, 45g actuation force), as well as a keyboard with Cherry's MX Browns (tactile switch, non-clicky, 45g actuation force), and definitely found the MX Brown to be the better of the two for writing.

Right now, I'm on a keyboard using Cherry MX Blues (tactile clicky switch, clicky, 55g actuation force) and am pretty happy with that.  If you need a quiet keyboard, though, you should probably avoid keyboards with these switches. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

I have used a keyboard with Kalih's Reds, which are supposed to be equivalent to Cherry's MX Reds (linear non-tactile switch, non-clicky, 45g actuation force), as well as a keyboard with Cherry's MX Browns (tactile switch, non-clicky, 45g actuation force), and definitely found the MX Brown to be the better of the two for writing.

Right now, I'm on a keyboard using Cherry MX Blues (tactile clicky switch, clicky, 55g actuation force) and am pretty happy with that.  If you need a quiet keyboard, though, you should probably avoid keyboards with these switches. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I heard Cherry MX Blue is perfect for typing. Red is good for gaming. Brown is between Red and Blue. IIRC, the Brown has different force than Red....

Edit: yeah, Brown is 55, Red is 45

35 minutes ago, Andre S. said:

As a gamer I didn't like reds at all. Having tactile feedback helps you feel in control and seems to allow me type quicker and know my keystrokes "worked" faster.

Yeah, it's an aquired touch. What they say on sites about different switches, may not be the same in your case.

I have the K70 RGB with Browns and my next keyboard is for sure going to have Blue switches or the equivalent.  The Browns just don't cut the mustard any more.

5 hours ago, Open Minded said:

I have the K70 RGB with Browns and my next keyboard is for sure going to have Blue switches or the equivalent.  The Browns just don't cut the mustard any more.

What you mean by that? Just it's not working out for you?

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

What you mean by that? Just it's not working out for you?

I used a friends Das Keyboard with Cherry Blues and I much prefer a stiffer switch/spring, even for gaming.  I do a lot of typing and with the Browns it seems kinda "mushy" next to the Blues.  I've tired the Reds and can not stand them.  I'd rather use a Logitech membrane KB before using Reds.

8 minutes ago, Open Minded said:

I used a friends Das Keyboard with Cherry Blues and I much prefer a stiffer switch/spring, even for gaming.  I do a lot of typing and with the Browns it seems kinda "mushy" next to the Blues.  I've tired the Reds and can not stand them.  I'd rather use a Logitech membrane KB before using Reds.

Ah, OK. Thanks. I should see what BestBuy has. Maybe I can try out the Blue before I buy it, see what I think. ;)

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Ah, OK. Thanks. I should see what BestBuy has. Maybe I can try out the Blue before I buy it, see what I think. ;)

YES!  If you're not happy with the Reds, the Browns would for sure be better but maybe not exactly what you're looking for.  As Goretsky said, it is pretty loud compared to other switches.  I personally don't mind but some might.

2 minutes ago, Open Minded said:

YES!  If you're not happy with the Reds, the Browns would for sure be better but maybe not exactly what you're looking for.  As Goretsky said, it is pretty loud compared to other switches.  I personally don't mind but some might.

As I said before, I had a Brown before. I just never tried a Blue. If the Blue feels better to me, then so be it :p

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

As I said before, I had a Brown before. I just never tried a Blue. If the Blue feels better to me, then so be it :p

Happy hunting!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this chart helps.

switch_chart.png

I fancy green and blue switches these days as I want to get the Nostromo feel from the Alien (1979), that old school typewriter kind of a sound.

I've been on the reds (Corsair K70) for four years now.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2017 at 3:20 PM, Andre S. said:

As a gamer I didn't like reds at all. Having tactile feedback helps you feel in control and seems to allow me type quicker and know my keystrokes "worked" faster.

Same here. I own a Ducky Shine 5 with Reds and I rarely use it. I use the Ducky Shine 5 with the Browns (and PBT keycaps!). ;) No reason to 'upgrade' to a Shine 6.

Now that I got my WASD Switch tester.

I tried out several combinations. For me blue or brown is best. It has that harder press than red.

If blue has a better price, I'd get that....

This helped me too, from their website: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/mechanical-keyboard-guide

13 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Now that I got my WASD Switch tester.

I tried out several combinations. For me blue or brown is best. It has that harder press than red.

If blue has a better price, I'd get that....

This helped me too, from their website: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/mechanical-keyboard-guide

You can get replacement keys at that site.

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

You can get replacement keys at that site.

Mhm, I saw that as well. :)