Forum to discuss individual TV show episodes?

I really enjoyed using IMDB's messaging boards as they set up boards for individual TV show episodes.

Now that they're shutting their boards down, does anyone know any alternatives?

Two of the shows I watch aren't on there (Buckets and Legion) errr. Also annoyed IMDB is shutting their forums down as well. It was a great place to get a bit more insight to what I had been watching.

• Like 1

Well, we have this one now :)

Can't wait got GoT season 7

I've enjoyed almost all of seasons 1-6

The Grand Tour

Walking Dead 1-6 (I sort of lost the will to keep watching when I found out they killed off Glen)

Greys Anatomy

and so on

Reddit, basically.

I know with anime, they have very popular discussion threads. My wife watches anime in Japanese, and she says a big part of it is going to the discussion thread after. Same with manga that has just released. Pretty sure every TV show has a subreddit (e.g. /r/gameofthrones, /r/thewalkingdead) and if not, you can make one. If you're watching live (week to week, I mean, including pirating or whatever... I mean if you're keeping up) they should have discusssions. After I finished Revenge, I went back there and read some of the discussions. It was never a very popular/widely discussed show, but it has a little bit of a following.

I'm going to miss the IMDb forums as well. I seldom commented, but I took pride in helping others when I 'got' a movie and others were struggling to understand something. I forget which movie it was, but there was one a few months ago where I must have commented in five or six threads, either supporting a point already made, or making a new point.

15 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Walking Dead 1-6 (I sort of lost the will to keep watching when I found out they killed off Glen)

Negan really breathes new life into the show, though. But to me he represents the end of the show. The zombies aren't really a threat anymore. They're a joke, especially after Sunday's episode. I think after a couple season we'll start to see people just rounding up zombies and killing them off, because they're more of an annoyance than a credible threat. But Negan, he's really just Governor 2.0. AMC shied away from the Governor's worst crimes (he raped Michonne, for one), but they're not doing that with Negan. They're trying to get away with everything they can now. Negan's a total alpha, and if the group can beat him, that's pretty much it. At this point it's either the group beats Negan and the sun sets over Alexandria/Hilltop and the group knows they can conquer anything, or, less likely, Negan beats them and that's that. But we all know that's not going to happen. I just hope they have the courage to kill off Rick Grimes. Just like Lori did, the world left him behind in that hospital in Atlanta. It's not his world anymore. It's Carl and Enid's and whomever else.

Well, that's my take... they'll probably run the show until it's no longer profitable, just like Supernatural.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dragontology said:

Negan really breathes new life into the show, though. But to me he represents the end of the show. The zombies aren't really a threat anymore. They're a joke, especially after Sunday's episode. I think after a couple season we'll start to see people just rounding up zombies and killing them off, because they're more of an annoyance than a credible threat. But Negan, he's really just Governor 2.0. AMC shied away from the Governor's worst crimes (he raped Michonne, for one), but they're not doing that with Negan. They're trying to get away with everything they can now. Negan's a total alpha, and if the group can beat him, that's pretty much it. At this point it's either the group beats Negan and the sun sets over Alexandria/Hilltop and the group knows they can conquer anything, or, less likely, Negan beats them and that's that. But we all know that's not going to happen. I just hope they have the courage to kill off Rick Grimes. Just like Lori did, the world left him behind in that hospital in Atlanta. It's not his world anymore. It's Carl and Enid's and whomever else.

Well, that's my take... they'll probably run the show until it's no longer profitable, just like Supernatural.

Well it isn't the first time shows ended with bad guy endings,

I remember Mortal Kombat the Series and the War of the Worlds tv shows, both ended quite epic with the bad guys winning and the earth no longer belonging to the humans, (lol side joke from war of the worlds, Alexander went on to do the Highlander tv show and a crappy sequel to the movies)

I registered here https://www.themoviedb.org/ looks quite good and with a few limited searches I did I get results. It doesn't display any ads that I can see either (whitelisted it) and supposedly "used by over 100,000 developers"? I wonder how they generate revenue, through app sales? :s It was late so I didn't look around too much

4 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Well it isn't the first time shows ended with bad guy endings,

I remember Mortal Kombat the Series and the War of the Worlds tv shows, both ended quite epic with the bad guys winning and the earth no longer belonging to the humans, (lol side joke from war of the worlds, Alexander went on to do the Highlander tv show and a crappy sequel to the movies)

I did not know that Mortal Kombat had a series. In any case, The Walking Dead is a story of hope, I think — it would be uncharacteristic of the show to let Negan or the zombies win. In any case, I feel that with what Negan did on the show, they're addressing complaints that the show is straying too far from the books. I can't read comic books — well, it's about 85% won't, I don't know, it's just an aversion I've always had to the format, I'm really going to try with the English translation of  Boku Dake ga Inai Machi (Erased) since the anime was so good — but I am quite interested in what happens in the books... so I've been reading Wikipedia, and if the books aren't over, it sounds like they're coming to a conclusion. From where Wikipedia says the books are, I don't see the show proceeding much farther than that. I'm not sure if Robert Kirkman is done writing about Rick Grimes and Negan and all of them, but he's at a logical stopping point with the Negan thing basically concluded in one direction (not saying which). So it's my prediction the show could end that way.

But, I do like when the villains win...

3 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I registered here https://www.themoviedb.org/ looks quite good and with a few limited searches I did I get results. It doesn't display any ads that I can see either (whitelisted it) and supposedly "used by over 100,000 developers"? I wonder how they generate revenue, through app sales? :s It was late so I didn't look around too much

Forgot about The Movie DB. There's also TVDB. These are both Plex media sources. I guess IMDb's API isn't good enough for them. Trakt.tv uses them as well. They definitely could use all the people they can get. At least TVDB has some pretty entrenched rules. I forget what it was, but there was some bad information in my Plex, and I traced it back to the source, and I thought it was a weird mistake, so I Googled it, and lo and behold it's not a bug, it's a feature. It was a subject of some controversy with a large amount of users in support of whatever the mistake was. It wasn't on one show, either... like a policy thing. Oh, I know... Episode ordering. Farscape — and Farscape is the one they often point to. TVDB has a policy of ordering episodes by production order, not chronological order. So this would screw up Firefly as well, and as we know part of Firefly's failure during its initial airing is Fox airing the episodes out of order. So anyone new coming to the site and realizing that the episodes (in either show) are out of order would hit a bureaucratic wall that probably isn't going away. (I suppose the other side is not without merit, perhaps for archiving shows, but for actually watching them, I would recommend chronological order every time.)

But that's just one aspect of a forum... forum politics are tricky. Which is part of why I recommend Reddit. With Reddit, there are some overarching rules you'll find anywhere, but they're pretty basic. You get a forum, and chances are someone gets on a power trip. I have yet to see this at Neowin. Generally there are two solutions. One is to conform. The other is to not give the resulting dictatorship any more power (page views, ad impressions, the merit of your thoughts and ideas) by not visiting the site at all. Non-participation. The first is clearly the easiest and why sites like Facebook have lasted as long as they have. But, perhaps I'm being too cynical. The truth is, I'll stick with what I know. I am not condemning those sites (and may yet join them someday) or you for bringing them up. Just thinking out loud in the middle of the night on a weeknight. ;) 

• Like 1