Very annoying resolution issue when playing certain games

I am not sure if this is a hardware issue, but lately I have had 3 games that max out at 2K resolution and my main monitor is running 4K, and when I attempt to load and play the game more often than not the display will go black, I can hear the music from the game playing but no display, and when I alt+tab or attempt Win+D I get nothing. Eventually at least one of the games will finally let me play, but the others simply will not. I have attempted to force the games onto my second display which is only 2K, but I can not get windows to allow it, and I have also attempted to use Display Fusions 'triggers' to force the game to the second monitor, but it does not seem to respect the request.

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

What GFX card do you have? Do you have the latest drivers?

Nvidia GTX 1080, drivers current as of yesterdays update.

5 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Did it work before this update? If so, I'd roll back to previous drivers.

No, the update had nothing to do with the issue.

I am wondering something, device manager lists the 4K monitor as Generic PnP, I attempted to locate drivers for it, but this monitor is from S. Korea and I am having trouble deciphering through all the google results. The monitor is: YAMAKASI M280PU, maybe someone can have better luck locating a driver?

7 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Good ole Yamakasi, I remember the craze with the catleaps... haven't heard that name in quite a while. Do you have the panel overclocked by any chance?

Don't even know what panel overclocking is!

10 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Nvidia forums suggested a user uninstalled, and installed 344.11 in safe mode, and it helped

That is a really old driver, IDK why that would make any difference, besides I  am playing games that specifically need the newer version of the driver.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

Advice: Buy from a well-known Western monitor manufacturer :p

Probably should have, but I only paid $270 for it, last year and that was a good price!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LostCat said:

Do you have anything installed that modifies window buttons up top?  I noticed something like that when I was using HPs My Display software.

The only thing that is installed is Display Fusion, which is the button on top left of the ? button, and it moves it to the other monitor.

28 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

The only thing that is installed is Display Fusion, which is the button on top left of the ? button, and it moves it to the other monitor.

That might be your problem.  Something in recent Windows 10 builds really doesn't seem to like that.

I'm not saying it is the problem, but worth checking.

5 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Don't know what I am looking for:

pstrip.PNGpstrip2.PNG

On the left is the Yamakasi 4K, the right is the LG 2K

on the 4k right click the powerstrip icon next to clock.

Options

Monitor Information

Under options, on the tab, change to Read data from stored EDID or Read data directly from monitor, see if shows the correct manufacturer and modelID

If you knew the supported refresh and resolution you could create a custom driver i suppose via powerstrip. Not used it in decades, lifetime licence.

10 minutes ago, Mando said:

on the 4k right click the powerstrip icon next to clock.

Options

Monitor Information

Under options, on the tab, change to Read data from stored EDID or Read data directly from monitor, see if shows the correct manufacturer and modelID

If you knew the supported refresh and resolution you could create a custom driver i suppose via powerstrip. Not used it in decades, lifetime licence.

Pstrip info.PNG

So obviously it's not  detecting the right info, because the max resolution is 3840 x 2160, not 1600 x 1200, so that doesn't seem to be helping...

5 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Just out of curiosity, how is it hooked up to your rig?

What cable?

DVI

Display Port

2 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Is there any other way to hook up the monitor?

(ruling out an intermittent fault in the cable)

3 HDMI inputs and 1 display port and I was wrong, it is display port that is how it is hooked up.

Also I do not suspect cable faults as it happens in select games that only go as high as 2K, I had the same issue with Dark Souls 3, for 2 weeks after I bought, I could not even play it, until someone here found an obscure post about editing a file and forcing it to use 4K

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

3 HDMI inputs and 1 display port and I was wrong, it is display port that is how it is hooked up

Same results using the other inputs?

(Might need to do a reboot in case a driver autosearch is required)

1 minute ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Same results using the other inputs?

(Might need to do a reboot in case a driver autosearch is required)

I'm not sure, I will have to dig out an HDMI cable to test, and I also still suspect that the driver is the whole issue here, Windows does not detect the specific brand, choosing instead to list it as Generic PnP, @Mando suggested I use Powerstrip to obtain the EDID and search for the driver that way, but that did not work out either.