Anyone else rocking Sandy Bridge still happy with their CPU?

• 2 weeks later...

My i5 2500k and it's 8GB of RAM have done well so far (build Dec 2011). With the (fantastically warm) 290X I chose to upgrade to (GTA V was too much for the old 6870) in '15, I feel that the rig has done pretty darn well. Had a case exhaust fan die 2 weeks ago and that's reminded me of this thing's advanced age. The CPU has been running at 4.6Ghz since forever though, so I've been staving off the worst of age-related issues by just bunging more electricity at it.

I will run with this until I'm done with Uni and - more importantly - have a job which gives me some buying power. And I'm also hoping that there will be some better TR4 heatspreader sized cooler plates available...

On 2/17/2017 at 1:09 AM, Mockingbird said:

Probably not.

The only thing that I am "missing" is SATA 3.0 6Gbit/s.

The motherboard is really buggy.

Ever since I've had it, it would randomly not power on. The only way to get it to turn back on is to unplug the computer and wait until the Power LED on the motherboard is off, then plug the computer back in and turn on the computer.

The more recent problem is that the SATA controller is failing.

Hard drives are only detected in IDE mode. In AHCI/RAID model, not of the hard drives are detected.

A used x58 motherboard is ~$250 USED and I am not going to pay $250 for a 8 years old motherboard with no warranty.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, I am looking to buy an AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (assuming the performance is as good as the leaked benchmarks) along with either a B350 or a X370 motherboard.

Indeed - 

I had an ASUS P6x68D Premium and was so mad when I bought my 1st nice SATA3 SSD to see it top out @ 400MB/sec - damn you chipset !

I have been thinking of doing my last pre-built monster this XMAS - 

My i5 2500k machine I built back in November 2011 still works fantastic for me. It flys with 16gb of ram and a SSD.

The only thing i need to upgrade is the GPU, it's still rocking a Radion 6800 :shiftyninja: although to be fair it plays the recent Age of Empires Definitive Edition beta perfectly fine at 1920x1200, which is the only new PC game i've wanted to play for a few years now.

I kind of feel I don't do anything demanding on a PC anymore with having such old hardware, but hey I won't complain it's saving me money. My brother has a similar spec to me and recently upgraded his GPU to a GeForce GTX 1060, it handles anything he can throw at it perfectly at 1080p, so I know I could just upgrade my GPU and be ok if i got back in to any serious PC gaming again.