Updated audio driver, now no audio no matter what I do

So I used Driver Booster (I know, I'm sorry) and updated my audio driver through it. Everything went fine but when I rebooted, I had no sound. Did the usual checks, and what not, but nothing worked. Then I went into the program and did a rollback. That didn't work either, so I did a system restore, but that failed the first time because I didn't have enough hdd space for it to complete (I only had about 8 gigs at the time, didn't think that was going to be an issue) so I cleared some space out then the system restore just errored out saying it couldn't complete.

So, then I downloaded a couple via hd audio driver files for Win 10 and tried installing those, which installed but still no sound. I've uninstalled the drivers, the devices etc and nothing has worked. So short of a format (which I'd rather not do since I had to reformat less than 2 weeks ago at this point) does anyone have any idea what I could do?

Hello,

Have you tried deleting the audio drivers completely, then rebooting and letting Windows Update install them?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

normal process for updating audio:

1. uninstall old audio driver and reboot.

2. install new audio driver and reboot.

maybe you just forgot to reboot computer...

8 hours ago, LOC said:

So I used Driver Booster (I know, I'm sorry) and updated my audio driver through it. Everything went fine but when I rebooted, I had no sound. Did the usual checks, and what not, but nothing worked. Then I went into the program and did a rollback. That didn't work either, so I did a system restore, but that failed the first time because I didn't have enough hdd space for it to complete (I only had about 8 gigs at the time, didn't think that was going to be an issue) so I cleared some space out then the system restore just errored out saying it couldn't complete.

So, then I downloaded a couple via hd audio driver files for Win 10 and tried installing those, which installed but still no sound. I've uninstalled the drivers, the devices etc and nothing has worked. So short of a format (which I'd rather not do since I had to reformat less than 2 weeks ago at this point) does anyone have any idea what I could do?

Try using Snappy Driver Installer (SDI), I really like it and it I have never had any issues with it.

7 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Have you tried deleting the audio drivers completely, then rebooting and letting Windows Update install them?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I've uninstalled and rebooted at least 10 times trying different combinations of things, nothing's worked sadly.

7 hours ago, xendrome said:

Going to need make/model of motherboard or soundcard.

Uh, I actually don't remember. Let's put it this way, this PC is old and its so old I don't remember the motherboard inside it :( ( I'm on an ancient Phenom II X4 B55 (I think) CPU though)

7 hours ago, atcapistrano said:

normal process for updating audio:

1. uninstall old audio driver and reboot.

2. install new audio driver and reboot.

maybe you just forgot to reboot computer...

Nope, didn't forget to reboot :)

2 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Try using Snappy Driver Installer (SDI), I really like it and it I have never had any issues with it.

I've used that before, along with DriverTalent and a couple others. :)

^ SDI will most likely find/install the correct driver for you.

You haven't indicated what's currently showing in the Device Manager.  Is it showing Unknown Audio Device or is it currently detected as another device?  Either way you should go to the Properties for the Devices > Details Tab > and then select Hardware IDs and copy and paste the first item in the list here/Google.

No, its showing the correct device. VIA HD Audio (Win 10) and as far as I can tell the correct driver etc are all installed. I'll post the hardware IDs in a bit (or google them) though.

1 hour ago, exotoxic said:

did you check the volume is turned up on the correct device??

Volume is at 100% and on the correct device yes.

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

Are you on an insider build by any chance? Default playback device is set to the correct one?

No, just the default Windows 10 build. I was on insider before my format a couple weeks ago, but decided against going back to it again right now. And yes, the VIA HD Audio is set at the default device.

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0397&SUBSYS_1043836C&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0397&SUBSYS_1043836C

Driver is version 6.0.11.1100 (which isn't the latest version but since this started this version seems to the one causing the least amount of people issues so I just chose this one lol, I've been on an older driver and the newest as well) dated 9/9/2015

Hello,

It appears the motherboard has a VIA Technologies VT1708S HD Audio Codec.

If that is correct, the latest driver from the manufacturer can be found at https://d34vhvz8ul1ifj.cloudfront.net/Driver/VIA_HD_Audio_v11_1100f_Win10RS1_logo_11012016.zip (link is direct from VIA's own driver search page).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Have you checked to see what the default audio device is? When I update my sound card drivers, it always gets set to one of my hdmi monitors despite them no having speakers. 

Default audio device is the proper one, and as far as I can tell everything is set up perfect, everything should be working. I'm just getting zero sound.

So yeah, I have audio now. Don't know how or why, but after the 100th reboot, I guess the PC decided to let me have audio again? Either way, thanks for all the suggestions guys :) I appreciate it.

12 minutes ago, LOC said:

So yeah, I have audio now. Don't know how or why, but after the 100th reboot, I guess the PC decided to let me have audio again? Either way, thanks for all the suggestions guys :) I appreciate it.

Called an exorcist? :D That is one of the undocumented 'features' "Upon updating the driver, you will have to reboot the computer 100 times in order to have sound again" It's written in size 1 font in Chinese!

Yeah, colored me shocked! Just a random reboot, and automagically blamo it works!

Now I can't open the Windows store or Edge, the frustration continues unabated it seems!

42 minutes ago, LOC said:

Yeah, colored me shocked! Just a random reboot, and automagically blamo it works!

Now I can't open the Windows store or Edge, the frustration continues unabated it seems!

Do you really need either one of those?

Have you tried do an SFC/scannow to see just on the off chance something is amiss?

I don't need Edge no, but I do use the Windows Store once in a blue moon (mainly for games, which I am now locked out of apparently...)

And yeah, just did a SFC scan, no problems. The error is that I can't open the store (or app) with the built-in administrator account. And since I'm on Win 10 Home and not Pro now, I'm not sure how to deal with this problem when I don't have access to the group policy editor.

12 hours ago, LOC said:

I don't need Edge no, but I do use the Windows Store once in a blue moon (mainly for games, which I am now locked out of apparently...)

And yeah, just did a SFC scan, no problems. The error is that I can't open the store (or app) with the built-in administrator account. And since I'm on Win 10 Home and not Pro now, I'm not sure how to deal with this problem when I don't have access to the group policy editor.

Is the store force closing?

You can also try to re-register the Windows Store app.

Using the same Windows logo key + X, click on Command Prompt as an admin.

In the command prompt window, enter the following string
powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml and press Enter.

If the string is successfully processed, type Exit to exit the window.