[BSOD] Installation of XP

xplatinum

This error is really getting on my nerves because I can't reinstall XP because of it.

My PC is not overclocked in any way, sometime I get the error and sometime I don't. I could format every 2weeks for 2months w/o having it... and like yesterday, I could get it non-stop everytime I try to format.

Here's what happens,

I insert the xp cd to boot from it... it copies the files, then once the first screen appears (prior to EULA) sometime I get the blue screen... sometime I can get passed it and press [enter] but then, right after trying to modify the partitions, I get a blue screen. Most of the time it says "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"... so I tried removing all unessacary devices and I still get it...

I have no clue as of why its doing it.

-----

AMD XP 2000+

512MB DDR

-----

plz help

SixSixSix

Does your MB has any onboard sound or NIC .. if yes then disable them in the BIOS and then try installing XP

xplatinum

nope, nothing onboard at all.

VLL

Had a similar problem once, intermitent BSOD's when installing XP, turned out to be a bad stick of OCZ Ram, if you have more than one stick try taking one out at a time and see if that makes any difference.

jaffa
Had a similar problem once, intermitent BSOD's when installing XP, turned out to be a bad stick of OCZ Ram, if you have more than one stick try taking one out at a time and see if that makes any difference.

yeah ram is pretty much the only thing that ever caused a bsod for me.. check your ram .. i dont remeber the name of the program right now :wacko: .. memtest0.3 or something. but anyways check if your ram is 100%.. otherwise it might cause a BSOD.. even in the install. :happy:

SixSixSix
nope, nothing onboard at all.

Try disabling BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. Or try flashing the BIOS.

Technical info on this error message can be found here.

Also check with the power management options on BIOS .. that could also cause this some times.

Inertia

If you have the option "assign IRQ to VGA" or "assign IRQ to USB" then set them to yes or enabled, this was an issue I had once and that fixed it as the defaults turned the IRQ for USB and VGA off, which was a dumb thing my mobo manufacturere did at the time.

If this doesnt work, try turnign you`re RAM timings down, the most common reason for BSOD during XP setup is agressive RAM timings , set all the latancy settings nice and high , and perhaps even under clock it, then onc eyou are set up you can work on finding the best settings that you`re ram will work at stabily

uniacidz

Attached is memtest if you want to check the memory.

Read the instructions and run for at least 6hrs.

memt30.zip

xplatinum

thanks alot for all the replies.

1. I tried removing 1stick at a time (2x256mb) and its doing the same thing.

2. I tried clocking the stick(s) a little bit lower and no change

3. I'll try disabling 'assign IRQ', if its not already disabled.

4. I did run memtest86 couple months ago and it did find some errors on both of my Kingston and Micron sticks. Not sure if they were serious errors but i've NEVER had any problems with them "in" windows, so I don't know why it would only cause problems during the install routine.

5. All shadowing are already off.

I'll try disabling a couple more things and i'll get back to you guys.

xplatinum

Just went into the bios (already flashed) and there's no option about 'assign IRQ...'

There's absolutly nothing I could find that might help. I lowered the clocking and still the same thing, i'm really running out of ideas.

I also have an IBM (hitachi) Deskstar 120GB. I'm sure alot of you know the 'click of death', well i've had the drive for quite a long time now and its still running with occasional beeping/scratching/clicking. In Windows i've never had any crash of any sort, but could the BSOD be associated with my HD ?

who knows :|

struct

Only time I got a BSOD on install was on a cheap motherboard. I exchanged it for an Asus, and using the same memory it worked like a charm.

xplatinum
Only time I got a BSOD on install was on a cheap motherboard. I exchanged it for an Asus, and using the same memory it worked like a charm.

I have an ABIT KG7 (amd761/via686b)

-edit-

I might downgrade the bios firmware, maybe there's something incompatible with my setup, who knows.

darkmark327

If you have memory errors you should definitely replace the memory, otherwise you run into situations like this, where you get some weird-ass problem that you have no idea how to fix.

Never skimp on RAM and Power supplies!

xplatinum

When i'll get the money i'll definately buy new ram. But after purchasing a brand new stick, can you exchange it saying that "memtest86 reported errors and I want one that doesn't have any" ? and keep bringing it back 'till its 100% error-free ?

DigitalFreedom

well, depends where you bought it, if at best buy or future shop, circut city, then no, they won 't know what the hell your talking about, on the other hand if you bought it from a mom and pop store, that should work, because most mom and pop storeds also use memtest

Hum

:o Update the BIOS chip and make sure your drivers are compatible and up-to-date. Sounds most likely to be a driver problem.

xplatinum

All my drivers are up to date, and anyway its during XP installation so drivers for my videocard/whatnot is really out of context.

I tried downgrading my BIOS firmware and I get the same thing again.

I forgot to add that at random occasions I get a driver name on the BSOD... here's what it said

0x0...D1 (0x840F2858, 0x0...2, 0x0...0, 0xF83FAD7E)

USBPORT.SYS // ADDRESS F83FAD7E BASE AT F83F3000, DATESTAMP 3D6DDC31

I rarely get this error and I also removed my USB card (2xUSB) so I would have only 2ports (onboard) and I get the same thing.

BoydB

I had the same problem the day XP was made available retail. I returned it to MS for a refund. Later I found that if you have an older Nvidia video card, the original XP disk would not recognize the Nvidia card on install. The solution was to take out the Nvidia card and insert an older card of another brand then XP would install without a problem. After the install is complete, shut the system down and remove the old card and install your Nvidia card and XP will recognize as new hardware, install the drivers and you good to go. This problem does not occur after SP1. Since I reformat constantly I slipstreamed SP1 into my legal copy of XP and have not had the BSOD on install since. I hope this helps.

Edited by BoydB
VLL

If you've tried all thats mentioned above without success, then it may be your IBM Deathstar is causing the problems, maybe setup is writing temporary data to a part of the drive that is corrupt.

Either way clicks, beeps and screeches from a drive, especially a IBM is a sure sign its running into trouble.

If you can, you should try the installation on another hard drive, or partition the drive and try installing windows onto a second partition, that way it would be writing the data to a different part of the drive.

Good Luck.

xplatinum

I just tried two other things.

I removed my addon USB ports and I also disabled the onboard USB controller - result / still get the error

Then after thinking it would probably be my IBM Deathstar, so I set the Primary Master to none so it wouldn't be in use. result / still get the damn error !

So, its not :

My HardDisk

My USBports

Any devices such as SoundCard, Network, etc... (cuz I removed them all)

BoydB: The problem ain't my videocard for 2reasons. 1: This BSOD happens to me quite rarely and my XP cd is already slipstreamed with SP1.

VLL

If its none of those things then it all comes back to your memory, which you said did have some errors, ran memtest86 earlier on mine just out of curiosity and didnt get any errors.

xplatinum
If its none of those things then it all comes back to your memory, which you said did have some errors, ran memtest86 earlier on mine just out of curiosity and didnt get any errors.

You did the Full test ? Longest one ?

Tell me which one to do just to be sure (sequence of menus if possible, like F>2>...)

Thanks alot for all the help once again.

VLL

Just did the default test, took about 20mins or so.

Goto http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp and download the memory tester from there and see what it comes up with, i'm more familiar with this one as its the one i use when i'm troubleshooting other peoples pc's.

darkmark327

You should run the full test overnight. You should not have any errors.

radagast

I'm having the exact same problem and have trouble shot all the areas you have already except trying different memory. I think the culprate may definitely be the memory. I have two 256mb modules and if I remove one then the video card does not function. Also, during the windows installation sometimes it misses files when it copies it the hard drive.