[BSOD] Installation of XP

Hello, my first post on neowin, although i have read it for about 2-3 months now.

I too was getting the BSOD in windows xp installation, i tried everything from trying different memory, new psu.. nothing worked :angry: . Then, i noticed that my CPU temp was at about 60 degrees.. way too high. I got the coolermaster aero 7+ no BSODs ever since. Check that your heatsink and fan is on correctly. Hope it helps you :)

Hello, my first post on neowin, although i have read it for about 2-3 months now.

I too was getting the BSOD in windows xp installation, i tried everything from trying different memory, new psu.. nothing worked :angry: . Then, i noticed that my CPU temp was at about 60 degrees.. way too high. I got the coolermaster aero 7+ no BSODs ever since. Check that your heatsink and fan is on correctly. Hope it helps you :)

good thinking batman, im surprised you are the first to mention that ;)

Just do a full overnight memtest on your machine, no quick crap, we need to rule out memory by fully testing it. Then we can see what else to try.

I'm not at home atm so I could only test this no-name memory stick, and after 2 full extended test (microsoft and memtest) it reported no errors at all (even after 26passes). I scanned my two sticks that I have at home couple months ago and they did have errors, both of them. So if I scan them when i'll get back home, either they will have more errors or have the same ones.

So, would it be a good idea to swap a No-Name Error-free memory stick for a Brand-name stick with errors ? Sounds like a good deal to me :whistle:

good thinking batman, im surprised you are the first to mention that ;)

I have a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ on my cpu and it blows air at 7500RPM... CPU temp is always around 45 and system temp around 30-33.

I did notice that sometime, by turning the voltage up a notch it would sometime help... yesterday morning it didn't help tho :no:

You shouldn't need to play with the voltages...if your memory has errors, chuck it or return it, because error-laden memory is useless, and gives you problems like these.

I played with the voltages thinking it would have been the CPU overheating... not sure if its the case. (it did change something last time I tried, it wouldn't crash at the same place during pre-setup)

Tommorow i'm gonna grab this no-name error-free stick of 256mb DDR PC2100 and swap it for one of my 2.

Which one should I replace, considering the fact that both have errors ?

Kingston :unsure: Micron

If they both have errors then replace both.

I can't replace both. I think you should carefully read my posts before replying :yes:

I said my sister had 1 error free stick of 256mb DDR PC2100 that I could swap for 1 of mine. Should I replace the Micron one or Kingston. In other words, which one is the best brand.

That, or only use 1x256MB error-free instead of 2x256MB (1 with error and 1 w/o errors).

Would that be a smart move ? To sacrifice 256MB from the system just because it has errors ? After all, it fails only during pre-setup.

You don't want a stick in your system that has errors because it will do things like randomly restart your computer or randomly end programs after a while (really sucks while playing a game).

This is what you do:

1. Take both error laden sticks and chuck them in the trash (they are worthless) or use them as bookmarks like I do :D

2. Put the error free stick in your computer.

3. If you have the money (it doesn't take much) buy a new 256MB stick and your gold again.

Problem solved.

Edited by Jstphish

Yeah I know, I'll try buying a new stick ASAP.

You guys have yet to answer my question, which brand is better Kingston or Micron ? To get this error-free stick I still have to give her one of mine :whistle: So even if it has errors, i'd like it to be the best brand as possible. :shifty:

I almost answered your question in my last post but decided to take it out because as I have said above, any error laden stick is going to screw a computer up. You will be doing a disservice by giving your sister that stick, either one.

But if you're going to do it anyway, Kingston is better in my opinion.

I can't replace both. I think you should carefully read my posts before replying :yes:

I said my sister had 1 error free stick of 256mb DDR PC2100 that I could swap for 1 of mine. Should I replace the Micron one or Kingston. In other words, which one is the best brand.

That, or only use 1x256MB error-free instead of 2x256MB (1 with error and 1 w/o errors).

Would that be a smart move ? To sacrifice 256MB from the system just because it has errors ? After all, it fails only during pre-setup.

I did replace both. You replace one with a good one, and you replace the other with nothing.

:p

Ok, just came back home with the error-free stick... and unfortunately I get the same error :(

So we can rule out memory from the dilemma. What else could it be ? This time, kinda like the other time, I got a usbhci.sys as the faulty driver on the bsod. Now, its the second time I get a similiar error relating to USB. Could it be my onboard USB ports -or- my XP install CD with possibly corrupted files... If its the CD I wonder why I don't get the error 100% of the time.

Guess I'll just try to setup XP w/o my Logitech Optical mouse plugged-in; maybe it'll change something.

Yeah but I already tried it before... I disabled the onboard USB controller. I get the same thing, cept that now the faulty driver is serial.sys.

You think it could be the mobo ?

Now i'm really ******. Yesterday I tried to clean the fans cuz it was make alot of noise and the fan for the cpu wasn't spinning properly so I cleaned everything. Now the PC won't even boot.

Every devices are unplugged. Only things that are plugged are : CPU, memory, videocard. Everything is unplugged (cdrom,hd,floppy,every card,etc...)

I tried another PSU, same thing. I tried another videocard, same thing. I tried some other ram, same thing. The PC won't boot at all, no beeps... nothing. The monitor just sites there saying ' no input signal or cable disconnected '.

Now its the CPU or the MOBO... what do you guys think ? damn pc won't start at all now =/

This doesn't look good at all. If I had to render a guess, I'd say it's the motherboard rather than the processor. You might try RMAing the board. I know it's a pain, but when all else fails... : \

My guess is the mobo as well.

I doubt RMAing will do jack for ya, but I would definitely do it anyway.

I'm sure by now you've tried and cleared the CMOS, and installed a new bios?

I tried to read through the few pages above, but I couldn't.

I think its the mobo as well... normally when there's no CPU or Memory installed it beeps a number of times depending on the problem, now it doesn't beep at all. The cpu fan is properly connected too.

I work as a computer technician so I know the drill of plugging/unplugging everything, what I don't get is that after re-plugging everything, I tried to boot and I smelt a burnt odor... coming from the cpu. It wasn't overheating cuz the cpu-fan was securely in place and like I said before, it blows air at 7000RPM so its definately not a overheating issue. I looked under the CPU and there's a black spot, like it burned underneath. But why ??? Thats what bugs me the most.

I purchased this board like 1 1/2year ago maybe 2years... how do I RMA it ?

Its an ABIT KG7.

// if RMA it doesn't work, i'll probably buy a AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (333) with an ASUS A7V8X-X.

I just tried booting it again, tried to clean everything again and made sure that everything was properly connected and that no shorts were occuring... guess i'm gonna have to buy a new mobo/cpu for sure.

This is just great, I lost my job a week ago :pinch:

who wants to donate some money thru paypal :cry:

thanks for all the help guys

sorry i didn't want to read this whole thread on 56k so this might have been suggested.. but last time i had a blue screen error on xp install i flashed my bios and it fixed it

Replace what exactly ? The CPU or the Motherboard ? Of course its the CPU that smells burnt, but I don't want to buy another CPU and then realise that my mobo fried that one too... I think the safest bet would be to buy a new mobo and cpu. Cuz my current mobo doesn't support more than 2100+ and I had a 2000+... for what its worth I might as well take the opportunity to buy a better mobo. The ASUS A7V8X-X is pretty cheap too...