Building a Ryzen PC

2 hours ago, sinetheo said:

Yep.

The benchmarks from AMD are all parallel with SMT to better hyperthreaded. Great for things like handbrake, SQL databases, and Adobe premiere. But not for most games. 

That is not necessarily bad. It's just Intel is tuned for those per core workloads historically while AMD focuses on future things like async. So we will see.

However, these days a GPU is more of a factor than the CPU. I think 8 cores and 16 threads are excessive. 

Not much of a power user then. 

12 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

I am thinking about building an AMD Ryzen PC.

Specifically, I am looking at the Ryzen 7 1700X and either a B350 or a X370 motherboard.

Since initial demand will outstrip supply, prices will be initially high.

NAND prices have been going through the roof, so I would be shopping for deals on DDR4 memory in the meanwhile.

I guess I am waiting as well for the prices of existing model to drop after AMD releases Vega.

To answer your question I just found this 

So Intel wins especially if you are a gamer. Basically, the Ryzen is a professional workhorse as per core CPU is from a 2014 era haswell. 

I would wait until next month when prices for Intel motherboards and CPUs fall. An i5 7600k is a good bet. It is stable and well supported and tested by game manufacturers. I know it's great to rout for the underdog but really if you work hard for your money you need to invest in what's right for you. 

25 minutes ago, sinetheo said:

To answer your question I just found this 

So Intel wins especially if you are a gamer. Basically, the Ryzen is a professional workhorse as per core CPU is from a 2014 era haswell. 

I would wait until next month when prices for Intel motherboards and CPUs fall. An i5 7600k is a good bet. It is stable and well supported and tested by game manufacturers. I know it's great to rout for the underdog but really if you work hard for your money you need to invest in what's right for you. 

All indications are that Zen have the performance of Broadwell.

Games that are optimized for multi-cores are finally coming out.

And I would rather have octa-core Broadwell than quad-core Kaby Lake.

If I am only buying for today, I would go with quad-core Kabylake, but since I want to keep my computer for a while, I would rather have octa-core Broadwell.

Today, AMD officially launches the Ryzen 7 1800X, Ryzen 7 1700X, and Ryzen 7 1700 .......................... for pre-order :angry:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11143/amd-launch-ryzen-52-more-ipc-eight-cores-for-under-330-preorder-today-on-sale-march-2nd

Sorry. I would like to see official reviews first before buying.

I've been thinking about a Ryzen build too. I have an aging i7 Extreme homebuilt system and wonder if I can benefit from a new CPU and mobo tech. I do a good amount of gaming and VR along with design work. My current rig actually handles all of that really well to this day. I just bought For Honor and it runs silky smooth at 4K and max settings. However, VR could be a little better plus I'd like to take advantage of the newer SSD cards. I'm just not sure how much of an increase in performance I'd see.

On 2/17/2017 at 11:12 PM, Mockingbird said:

I wish I had stock up on memory a year ago.

Look at how much prices have gone up:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3CdFf7/gskill-ripjaws-v-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-f4-3000c15d-16gvkb?history_days=365

I think I paid a whopping $85 for 16GB of RAM back in August. Today its over $150. Just Damn :(

I play simulation games, mostly. I'll definitely take advantage of the multiple cores -- but I plan on waiting until the 2nd generation, to work out all of the kinks in the CPU and motherboard designs. And because I don't feel like going into debt for a computer right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, greenwizard88 said:

I play simulation games, mostly. I'll definitely take advantage of the multiple cores -- but I plan on waiting until the 2nd generation, to work out all of the kinks in the CPU and motherboard designs. And because I don't feel like going into debt for a computer right now.

Same, my 6350's a trooper, it'll soldier on until I'm ready to shell out cash for the second gen chips and boards.

4 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

What do you guys/girls think?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZtTbGf

I am not entirely sure which motherboard to get.

As for memory, I'll probably get the cheapest one. Don't care too much about memory speed at this point.

I like your list for all but one thing.  Only 8 gigs of RAM?  Even on my Z77 platform I noticed everything ran smoother with 16 gigs vs the 8 I was running.  Might as well bite the bullet and get the 2x8GB kit for dual channel.  I would.

I wish AMD would include the Wraith Max Cooler with the Ryzen 7 1700X/1800X.

It looks cool.

4 hours ago, Open Minded said:

I like your list for all but one thing.  Only 8 gigs of RAM?  Even on my Z77 platform I noticed everything ran smoother with 16 gigs vs the 8 I was running.  Might as well bite the bullet and get the 2x8GB kit for dual channel.  I would.

DDR4 prices went up by 100% since June 2016 :woot:

Edited by Mockingbird

I already have everything priced out except for the motherboard and graphics card.  Waiting to see what Vega is like before getting Nvidia.

here are the specs so far:
AMD Ryzen 1800X
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 CPU cooler
motherboard TBD (looking strongly at ASRock Taichi)
16 GB Patriot Viper 4 DDR4 3600
Corsair 760T white case
Samsung 250 GB 960 Evo NVMe M.2 SSD
EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 850W PSU
Windows 10 Home
graphics card TBD

I might swing for 32 GB.  My primary uses are 4K video editing, Lightroom, Photoshop, and gaming.  Benchmarks are looking spectacular, including single threaded...

4 hours ago, Open Minded said:

If you plan on playing games, get 16GB. You will need it sooner than you think.

I wasnt aware prices have risen...

I just looked & didnt see anything out of the norm.  Granted, I dont remember exact dollar amounts for sake of comparison, but nothing looked "off"

What, exactly, are you looking @ ?

If these chips aren't vaporware in terms of leaked performance - I will look @ a Ryzen chip on my next build as well.  If I can get a CPU for $500 which compares to a $1500 intel chip - thats $1000 in my pocket to go towards upgrades all around.  I have been thinking of doing custom water loop(s) - that would seal the deal for me.  (just need to find someone who can do the hard-piping for me as I dont want to mess with it)

11 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

DDR4 prices went up by 100% since June 2016 :woot:

I know and it sucks.  But if you wait, RAM prices might go even higher.  A gamble for sure.

47 minutes ago, Open Minded said:

I know and it sucks.  But if you wait, RAM prices might go even higher.  A gamble for sure.

That spike because of Ryzen? When I bought my 16GB DDR4 a few months ago, it was just around $70

6 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

That spike because of Ryzen? When I bought my 16GB DDR4 a few months ago, it was just around $70

Probably not, NAND has been in shortage for quite some time, though Ryzen demand will not make the situation any better :)

10 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Not from what I've been reading.  It's because of the NAND shortage or so I'm hearing.  Just really crappy timing to happen alongside the Ryzen release.  SSD prices are on the upswing as well.

7 minutes ago, Open Minded said:

Not from what I've been reading.  It's because of the NAND shortage or so I'm hearing.  Just really crappy timing to happen alongside the Ryzen release.  SSD prices are on the upswing as well.

I went on an SSD shopping spree in June 2016.

...got 1TB SSDs for $160 each

I knew that Zen is coming, but it's so far into the future that it doesn't feel "real" to me yet so I didn't buy any memory for it.

12 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I went on an SSD shopping spree in June 2016.

...got 1TB SSDs for $160 each

I knew that Zen is coming, but it's so far into the future that it doesn't feel "real" to me yet so I didn't buy any memory for it.

Nice score on the SSDs!

Zen is hitting store shelves March 2nd.  That's... not that far off.