181 posts in this topic

It's pretty simple really, just release a 1-CCX 4-core with 8MB L3 that can clock really high (less stuff in general means higher clocks, e.g. i3-7350K) and we'll have a solid gaming-oriented Zen CPU. No need for hypothetical software updates, just good performance now. Surely that's in the plans somewhere.

19 minutes ago, Andre S. said:

It's pretty simple really, just release a 1-CCX 4-core with 8MB L3 that can clock really high (less stuff in general means higher clocks, e.g. i3-7350K) and we'll have a solid gaming-oriented Zen CPU. No need for hypothetical software updates, just good performance now. Surely that's in the plans somewhere.

You might get your wish at some point, AMD and GloFo changed their agreement to allow AMD to outsource more and signed an agreement with Samsung and their 14nm node, so perhaps we'll see a 4-core only CCX model taped out and produced by Samsung, but again, it may be the APU model instead of a Ryzen 3. It also might help with higher clock speeds as the GloFo node is limited in what it can do by an extreme voltage wall.

You also have to remember that less is not always more, sometimes a deeper architecture can gain more speed at the expense of some latency by introducing more switching but also faster switching. A lot of that is mitigated by branch prediction however and Ryzen seems pretty good at that. The future is bright for AMD and computing in general though!

1 hour ago, Andre S. said:

The updated Zen arch should be here in late 2018 according to projections I've read.  Other than software optimizations (driver OS and games) I wouldn't really expect to see much else before then.

4 hours ago, LostCat said:

This build is the most beautiful thing I've ever used I can tell you that.  I haven't played too many games yet since I'm used to not doing too much else when downloading, but I was pretty far below average for PC builds I think.

Glad to hear your happy with your build mate :)

Canard PC tweeted that the AMD's 16C / 32T high end desktops processors will be launched in four to six months’ time. They will be constructed from 2x MCM dies and offer clock speeds between 2.4GHz - 2.8GHz.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/motherboards/43155-amd-rumours-abound-over-the-weekend

So.. if already two cores communicating at the same time results in FPS loss, I wonder how 2x mcm will fair? (based in my ignorant knowledge ...)

If you're buying a low clocked 16c system for gaming you're doing it wrong.

2 people like this