AMD officially launches Ryzen processors

It's pretty simple really, just release a 1-CCX 4-core with 8MB L3 that can clock really high (less stuff in general means higher clocks, e.g. i3-7350K) and we'll have a solid gaming-oriented Zen CPU. No need for hypothetical software updates, just good performance now. Surely that's in the plans somewhere.

19 minutes ago, Andre S. said:

It's pretty simple really, just release a 1-CCX 4-core with 8MB L3 that can clock really high (less stuff in general means higher clocks, e.g. i3-7350K) and we'll have a solid gaming-oriented Zen CPU. No need for hypothetical software updates, just good performance now. Surely that's in the plans somewhere.

You might get your wish at some point, AMD and GloFo changed their agreement to allow AMD to outsource more and signed an agreement with Samsung and their 14nm node, so perhaps we'll see a 4-core only CCX model taped out and produced by Samsung, but again, it may be the APU model instead of a Ryzen 3. It also might help with higher clock speeds as the GloFo node is limited in what it can do by an extreme voltage wall.

You also have to remember that less is not always more, sometimes a deeper architecture can gain more speed at the expense of some latency by introducing more switching but also faster switching. A lot of that is mitigated by branch prediction however and Ryzen seems pretty good at that. The future is bright for AMD and computing in general though!

1 hour ago, Andre S. said:

The updated Zen arch should be here in late 2018 according to projections I've read.  Other than software optimizations (driver OS and games) I wouldn't really expect to see much else before then.

4 hours ago, LostCat said:

This build is the most beautiful thing I've ever used I can tell you that.  I haven't played too many games yet since I'm used to not doing too much else when downloading, but I was pretty far below average for PC builds I think.

Glad to hear your happy with your build mate :)

Canard PC tweeted that the AMD's 16C / 32T high end desktops processors will be launched in four to six months’ time. They will be constructed from 2x MCM dies and offer clock speeds between 2.4GHz - 2.8GHz.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/motherboards/43155-amd-rumours-abound-over-the-weekend

So.. if already two cores communicating at the same time results in FPS loss, I wonder how 2x mcm will fair? (based in my ignorant knowledge ...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xendrome said:

Shills for AMD maybe? Just saying cause "High end" should be the 6950X, 6900K then maybe the 1800X

Turns out that the top end system sports a 6950X. Is pretty clear who the shill is.

14 hours ago, xendrome said:

Shills for AMD maybe? Just saying cause "High end" should be the 6950X, 6900K then maybe the 1800X

If you've ever read TR, then you'd know otherwise.  They never give anyone undeserved attention.

tvtkbtb.jpg

Ryzen is catching up to Intel with improved RAM speed support which helps the Infinity Fabric (It runs at half the speed of RAM which severely affects CCX to CCX latency and bandwidth).

1 hour ago, Alera said:

Ryzen is catching up to Intel with improved RAM speed support which helps the Infinity Fabric (It runs at half the speed of RAM which severely affects CCX to CCX latency and bandwidth).

That can't be right. AMD is winning in some of those games. Quick! Benchmark at 480p!

---

In other news, this is a bit of a head scratcher. Hope the R7X + Wraith Max will make more sense when released.

Edited by Luc2k
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Luc2k said:

That can't be right. AMD is winning in some of those games. Quick! Benchmark at 480p!

---

In other news, this is a bit of a head scratcher. Hope the R7X + Wraith Max will make more sense when released.

dude if those were out earlier I would've gotten a 1700X.  Spending 70 bucks more AND needing to add my own cooler on top didn't make any sense to me.

3 hours ago, Alera said:

tvtkbtb.jpg

Cool graphs, but can You link us to the source of benchmarks, would be interested in reading it all? Thx.

25 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

Cool graphs, but can You link us to the source of benchmarks, would be interested in reading it all? Thx.

Here you go!

3 hours ago, LostCat said:

dude if those were out earlier I would've gotten a 1700X.  Spending 70 bucks more AND needing to add my own cooler on top didn't make any sense to me.

I was referring to why the same cooler costs 42€ with the 1800X and 64€ with the 1700X.

2 hours ago, Alera said:

Here you go!

so if you then take 3600mhz ram and fit to your 7700k doesnt this negate the boost? (im not tring to be obtuse, im genuinely curious :))

my 7700k runs with 3200mhz atm, mobo supports up to 3866mhz ram

15 minutes ago, Mando said:

so if you then take 3600mhz ram and fit to your 7700k doesnt this negate the boost? (im not tring to be obtuse, im genuinely curious :))

my 7700k runs with 3200mhz atm, mobo supports up to 3866mhz ram

According to the reviewer, a boost to 3600 Mhz on 7700k provided the same results as on 3200 Mhz since timings had to be adjusted. He states that Ryzen does not seem to be sensitive to timings, but rather to clock of the memory, unlike 7700k.

13 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

According to the reviewer, a boost to 3600 Mhz on 7700k provided the same results as on 3200 Mhz since timings had to be adjusted. He states that Ryzen does not seem to be sensitive to timings, but rather to clock of the memory, unlike 7700k.

Ahhh okies, cheers mate :) 

thing is though, my ROG Strix board can adjust the timings on the fly if so required, or you can lock them at a set level regardless of CPU OC, running XMP settings on 3200 timings regardless if i clock it at stock, 4.5 or 4.9Ghz on all cores. Checking with CPU-Z shows it running at XMP timings at every clock. I would then expect inserting XPM rated 3866 ram into same motherboard would behave in the same manner.

That's correct, the increased speed of RAM on the Intel side will not provide anywhere near as big of a leap. Although it should be said that gamers should be using 3000MHz+ on the Intel side from graphs I've seen on games that actually benefit from it. And since Ryzen doesn't seem to mind bad timings (weirdly it doesn't seem to like odd numbers on two of the timings), the end result will likely be to loosen the timings and try to increase the speed as much as possible.

It'll be interesting to see if Ryzen tops out. Most of what we know is that Infinity Fabric does get benefits from faster RAM but likely also has a bandwidth cap. Right now 4266MHz is the fastest but most expensive, it'll be interesting to see if anyone can get it working in a motherboard and what kind of effect it has or if the cap is already reached before that.

35 minutes ago, wakjak said:

it's a shame that Ryzen CPUs are crap for OC'ing passed 3.9-4ghz. 

Well, these are 8 core parts. Intel's 8 core chip, the 6900K overclocks only slightly better @4.3 Ghz. I suspect with some BIOS and microcode updates Ryzen will be able to achieve the same but not more.

4 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

Well, these are 8 core parts. Intel's 8 core chip, the 6900K overclocks only slightly better @4.3 Ghz. I suspect with some BIOS and microcode updates Ryzen will be able to achieve the same but not more.

I'm not so sure.. even on watercooling @ 4.1 Ghz it reaches 85c.. while a 6700k can do 4.8Ghz on air @ 68c.. Hopefully they fix the issues with gaming performance in the future.. 

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/overclocking-intel-core-i7-6700k/