AMD officially launches Ryzen processors

9 minutes ago, wakjak said:

I'm not so sure.. even on watercooling @ 4.1 Ghz it reaches 85c.. while a 6700k can do 4.8Ghz on air @ 68c.. Hopefully they fix the issues with gaming performance in the future.. 

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/overclocking-intel-core-i7-6700k/

6700K is 4 core chip, 7700K, for instance, can go up to 5.0 GHz when properly cooled but it is still a 4 Core chip unlike any of the Ryzen currently on the market. I'm not saying Ryzen 4 core versions will be able to get that far, but they should be more overclockable than the 8 core ones.

23 minutes ago, wakjak said:

I'm not so sure.. even on watercooling @ 4.1 Ghz it reaches 85c.. while a 6700k can do 4.8Ghz on air @ 68c.. Hopefully they fix the issues with gaming performance in the future.. 

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/overclocking-intel-core-i7-6700k/

This is false, the 1700X and 1800X have 20 degree celsius temperature offsets. That 85 degrees is actually 65 degrees. The CPU can supposedly reach 75 degrees before becoming dangerous, where the CPU will downclock itself or shut off to save itself. Temperature is not a problem for Ryzen, the voltages are. And yes while increasing voltages also increases temperature, it's the voltage wall of the LPP node that causes the issue. Requiring dangerous voltages to hit 4.2 and higher isn't going to be practical for most users!

EDIT: I will also say that the Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 3 clock speeds won't be higher either, they're all based on the same dies and node. Again, temperature is not a limiting factor, the voltage is the real problem and that won't change just because you have less working cores on the dies.

On 16/03/2017 at 9:55 PM, Draconian Guppy said:

From the pcper Andre S. Posted:

Doesn't look like there are any bottlenecks to be removed, except for game specific improvements :/ 

I wasn't referring to the non issue with Windows, when I referred to programming bottlenecks I meant the improvement of gaming engines to properly take advantage of the hardware.

And hell, the stuff in the tech press was hyperbolic nonsense anyway. This rig smashes my 2700K in gaming tests (despite a 1.4 GHZ clock speed deficit), and I even did a worst case scenario test, a custom benchmark I ran myself in Bioshock Infinite (which relies heavily on access to a couple of really fast CPU threads). Again, despite the obvious clock deficit, the performance was nigh on identical, in fact I notice less micro stuttering than on my old hardware. And I don't have overclocked RAM either, it's 2666 MHZ Vengeance LPX

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Javik said:

And I don't have overclocked RAM either, it's 2666 MHZ Vengeance LPX

You know that your RAM is only running at 2133MHZ unless you manually set it to run at 2666 MHZ in the bios?

20 hours ago, wakjak said:

You know that your RAM is only running at 2133MHZ unless you manually set it to run at 2666 MHZ in the bios?

Yes, I checked that out. I had to use the BIOS to load my ram's XMP profile, but it works fine.