Advice Bandwidth Limits based on device type.

My home network is semi-complex (Dumb switch, VPN/Router with fair amount of advanced control, WAP) with about 15-20+ devices.

I have spectrum 60/5 services (no data caps).

• Switch (unmanged) 24port 1gb backplane 
  • Dedicated WAP (AC)
  • VPN Capable Router (no wifi) with a fair amount of advanced settings (not using VPN functions)
  • Cable Modem (Modem only no wifi/route)
  • Cat 6 Cables
  • All devices support 1000 wired connections.

I'm at the point I need to do some bandwidth management per device.

I do know if too many devices are active, I will still hit congestion. I want to realistically limiter download/update per device.

Not yet at the point where I want to prioritizes specific devices over others... yet. 

Right now I just slapped a 4.8 up /  25mb down on all devices

Devices: PC, Laptop(s), Game Console(s), Smart Phone(s), AppleTV (Video Streaming).

From what I'm reading

Video recommendations are:

720 - 5 mbs - download

1080 - 9mbs - download

4k - 15-25mbs - download

Current Gen Game Consoles

PS4/Xbox One - 10mbs down, highest up (game sharing)

Any advice, suggestions

you can do it per device IP (some may be dynamic to follow the mac address vs ip) or per protocol by not per device type.   You cannot give bandwidth x to y device, not on out of the box home/soho stuff anyway.   You are getting into more enterprise type of stuff, I would have to check if it is even possible with ubiquiti as it may not even be capable.

Looks as if you know what you need as far as bandwidth goes, but cutting out that bandwidth for types of devices is not going to work.  You are better off identifying services you use and designating bandwidth for those specific services by however many devices use that service so you are not short changing yourself with that service. 

I would be curious to see what router that you have can do that.

On 3/1/2017 at 8:36 PM, sc302 said:

you can do it per device IP (some may be dynamic to follow the mac address vs ip) or per protocol by not per device type.   You cannot give bandwidth x to y device, not on out of the box home/soho stuff anyway.   You are getting into more enterprise type of stuff, I would have to check if it is even possible with ubiquiti as it may not even be capable.

Looks as if you know what you need as far as bandwidth goes, but cutting out that bandwidth for types of devices is not going to work.  You are better off identifying services you use and designating bandwidth for those specific services by however many devices use that service so you are not short changing yourself with that service. 

I would be curious to see what router that you have can do that.

I've been assigning static IP address to specific devices (via Mac Address).

Then used the IP on the bandwidth restrictions.

The device I'm using is a http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-4909_TL-R600VPN.html