Forums were upgraded to 4.1.18.2

19 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

Have a look at Neowin Credits, it gives you some idea about what is powering the site.

8-9yr old xeons, damn, that sucks. I thought 6.5hrs seemed a ridiculously long amount of time for a forum. Lets hope neowin upgrades once AMD Naples platform is out, should result in large price cuts from intel. Maybe stick a pci-e ssd in there too to host the site on.

1 hour ago, spaceship9876 said:

8-9yr old xeons, damn, that sucks. I thought 6.5hrs seemed a ridiculously long amount of time for a forum. Lets hope neowin upgrades once AMD Naples platform is out, should result in large price cuts from intel. Maybe stick a pci-e ssd in there too to host the site on.

Actually, that's completely out of date, we moved to AWS some years ago, those are the specs from before that move

10 hours ago, Steven P. said:

69.06% as of posting ;)

Oh I was just funnin' around - I knew you guys were on top of it.  

Didnt mean to offend.

7 hours ago, spaceship9876 said:

Did you really think this site would be using that old stuff ?

C'mon

2 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Did you really think this site would be using that old stuff ?

C'mon

considering it is on neowin's own site yeah. That page should have been updated, it still hasn't.

3 hours ago, spaceship9876 said:

considering it is on neowin's own site yeah. That page should have been updated, it still hasn't.

Oh man I was totally kidding - my 1st thought would be to believe it as well - I forgot the [/s] @ the end of my post.

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Neowin Credits page was updated ;)

Did you ever do a blog or anything about moving from your own servers to AWS? I would find that an interesting read.

3 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

Did you ever do a blog or anything about moving from your own servers to AWS? I would find that an interesting read.

Well I think we posted about it at the time, but it basically boiled down to some script kiddies constantly ddos attacking our servers, which resulted in the one backbone connection to that DC getting overloaded, meaning all other sites hosted there were unreachable too for days at a time at one point.

We were politely asked to leave. ;)

Where we are now has that additional ddos protection (the standard anyway) but we also pay for the extra protection on our servers. No-one is safe from these kinds of attacks (look up Krebs +/- 650gbs attack) , but I guess we're safer from a casual person utilizing a script or something. At least I hope so anyway.

• Like 3

Oh and it also takes out the need to upgrade our servers every x years, since we rent physical space. Since we've been on Amazon we've had alerts about server upgrades and the entire setup (one or more servers) is seamlessly moved to the new hardware without much interaction, that's good too.

• Like 3

On 3/5/2017 at 9:22 AM, Steven P. said:

Yep, this update allows for two-factor authentication too (it will not be required, just optional), but I am not going to change any settings until the background processes have completed.

Really excited to see security enhancements. :)