Router Upgrade?

I used to recommend the R7000 also but now I think Synology's offering just can't be beat. It is an incredible router and Synology's software is truly excellent, something I really can't say about Netgear unfortunately.

However, as others have pointed out, issue is probably not related to your router.

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/products/RT2600ac

Review:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33075-synology-rt2600ac-router-reviewed

Edited by Squuiid

First, 26 wireless devices is too many for one router. You're going to need at least 2 routers depending on the layout of your house, and possibly three.

Second, you need to figure out whether you can run cable from the basement to the first floor. If you can do that, you can significantly increase signal quality just by moving the router. This will also enable you to use wired connections for a number of devices. From your list of devices, you could probably wire the Xbox, PS4, Wii, and at least one other device to one of the routers, which will also reduce your in-game ping times somewhat.

Third, you need to figure out if you can run cable between the two sides of your house. That second router has to go somewhere, and preferably have a wired connection. If you can't, a second AC router can be used, if you set one AC interface per router for exclusive router use. A powerline adapter will not work for this purpose. Powerline connections are not stable enough, too high latency, and too low bandwidth to connect two routers with that many devices between each, assuming you can get them on the same circuit in the first place.

Everything else is less important than having a second router. If you stay with only one router, your problem of congestion when two or more people stream video will continue to exist.

The only option I see is having 2 or 3 APs.

One router in one corner, another one in another part of the house hardwired.

A repeater might not work either as the original AP should be maxed out, and to feed the repeater much more juice is required from the original one.

14 hours ago, xendrome said:

Uncheck Optimize for XBox -  that option makes the router report it does not support LDPC error correction

ok, made these changes 

5GHZ.jpg

24GHZ.jpg

14 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Is your Garage Door opener Wireless N or G? If it's G turn B/G protection back on.

that's a good question, not 100% sure its a Craftsman's AssureLink

14 hours ago, SnailSlug said:

First, 26 wireless devices is too many for one router.

Wouldn't that only be relevant if they were all active at once?  Usually, only a few are going to be transmitting anything at any time.

Wouldn't that only be relevant if they were all active at once?  Usually, only a few are going to be transmitting anything at any time.

If they are on and connected, while not necessarily active that you know of, they are holding the line open. If one device is connected at an older standard for whatever reason the other devices will suffer from speed loss even if not "active".

1 hour ago, sc302 said:

If they are on and connected, while not necessarily active that you know of, they are holding the line open. If one device is connected at an older standard for whatever reason the other devices will suffer from speed loss even if not "active".

They might well be asleep, in which case they're really not holding anything.  Not to mention, the 2.4ghz devices and 5ghz devices will be using seperate hardware channels anyway.

Not really sure why he has QoS off though, that's just asking for problems.

If they are turned off, not connected or in airplane mode, they aren't holding anything.  If you see them in your list of active devices, they are on.  Yes 2.4 and 5 are separate from each other.  

QoS off really has no bearing on this...just won't prioritize traffic.  This probably isn't an issue with 4 devices on, if that is what is on.

7 minutes ago, sc302 said:

QoS off really has no bearing on this...just won't prioritize traffic.  This probably isn't an issue with 4 devices on, if that is what is on.

It can affect latency in a huge way (especially if there's a lot of traffic) which could give the impression of router issues when that's not what's really happening.

qos is mainly for outbound traffic, not inbound.  if there is a lot of traffic outbound, you better find the cause.  

qos for inbound isn't qos in its natural sense, that is more traffic shaping.

3 minutes ago, sc302 said:

qos is mainly for outbound traffic, not inbound.  if there is a lot of traffic outbound, you better find the cause.  

qos for inbound isn't qos in its natural sense, that is more traffic shaping.

As you can see in that article, that probably is the cause.

what happens when you get further away from the router and more obstructions are between you and it....user mentioned the router is in the basement, where in relative terms are the devices that are having issues located?  1, 2, 3 floors away?  Due to him mentioning that the router is in the basement, I am assuming it is a coverage bandwidth issue more than an issue at the router.  It seems as there is one antenna and it is in the basement of the house.

this is my assumption based on the conversation in this thread....cannot be proven without a heat map and proper scale drawing, this is also most probable cause as it is the usual suspect with wireless on separate floors.  While it costs nothing to enable qos or do any sort of traffic shaping, I do not see this being a bandwidth gain or adding stability into this particular network.  

What has been mentioned here,

router in basement

26 devices (may or may not all be on and establishing a connection)

wifi issues/possible bandwidth issues

based on this information, I am deducing that the user does not have good to excellent coverage to give proper connection which will maintain high bandwidth as well as the possibility of too many devices on at the same time connected to a single AP.

solution is to add an ap on the floors with issue or looking to a mesh setup.   Lack of understanding security and properly gauge wireless leads me more to recommend a mesh vs adding aps to the floors which brings in the ability to over saturate the house with little to no extra configuration.