• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

jasondefaoite    341
On 3/20/2017 at 10:53 PM, Asmodai said:

...I'm also certain Last of Us 2 will sell great but I'm not sure a sequel will outsell a brand new IP that's clearly captured the public's attention.  Just my personal opinion of course.

Fair point, but if you watched the last PSX when TLoU2 was revealed the crowd reaction suggests this will be the biggest seller on PS4/pro.

I loved HZD, it is one of the best games on the platform graphically, and as for the story, probably one of the best stories in a game. I loved learning about what happened. However I think TLoU was a better game specifically because of the characters. Far more of an emotional connection to them vs HZD. But it's great for PlayStation either way, with the exclusives getting stronger.

vf-    30
9 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

^ you guys found that hard???

Burn it, then use your hardpoint arrows, bombs and blast wires, didn't take me long, the trick was to keep rolling from one place to another (for some reason Aloy's harder to hit when she's rolling)

Stormbird easy mode any difficulty, tie it down :p (ropecasters)

Horus Class Titans (I think)

Where is the fun in tying it down?

• Like 1

+Asmodai    637
12 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

^ you guys found that hard???

I'm not sure where you got this from.  At no time did I say anything was hard.  Of course I'm only playing on Normal unlike vf- who is apparently playing Very Hard.

• Like 1

+Asmodai    637
3 hours ago, vf- said:

I don't think I've even fought that... is that a mission where you HAVE to fight it?  Either you guys are farther than me or I just skipped it.  I tend to sneak by what I can so unless you HAVE to kill it to accomplish the mission I tend not to.

The Evil Overlord    18,440
2 hours ago, Asmodai said:

I don't think I've even fought that... is that a mission where you HAVE to fight it?  Either you guys are farther than me or I just skipped it.  I tend to sneak by what I can so unless you HAVE to kill it to accomplish the mission I tend not to.

It's one of those that roam around not far from meridian, first time I saw one... I believe they have machine sites.

5 hours ago, vf- said:

Who said you're allowed to have fun??? :p

2 hours ago, Asmodai said:

I'm not sure where you got this from.  At no time did I say anything was hard.  Of course I'm only playing on Normal unlike vf- who is apparently playing Very Hard.

Wait til you find out about the shield weaver armour. :yes:

• Like 1

+Asmodai    637
3 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Wait til you find out about the shield weaver armour. :yes:

I'm not a completionist.  I didn't do any but the first Tutorial mission, I've not done a single Hunting Ground mission nor do I ever intend to (timed tests don't interest me in the least), I couldn't care less if I collect every single data point.  As soon as I finish the story I'll likely put the game away and move on to Mass Effect.  I don't just rush through the Story though as I did make a point to get all the tallnecks and crucibles and I've done every Bandit stronghold whose level is less than or equal to my current Main story mission level (I actually enjoy taking them down).  I'll probably do a little grinding to get the Shadow version of the couple of weapons I don't yet have (I've managed to get what I needed for most just by playing normally) but other than that unless it's required to complete the game I probably won't get it.  I'm aware that the Shield Weaver Armor is the reward for the Power Cell mission I have but if I've got to go out of my way do get it then I'll likely just skip it.

As noted before in this thread I'm not sure how playable this game is after you've finished it.  I'm having a great time going through it now because I don't know what I'm about to see.  The first time I walked into a Crucible was pretty amazing for example, the others were just more of the same.  When I know what happened to the world and where I came from I'm not sure there will be much point in playing the game again or grinding to get some piece of rare gear or PSN Trophey.  That's just not my thing.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

I'm not a completionist.  I didn't do any but the first Tutorial mission, I've not done a single Hunting Ground mission nor do I ever intend to (timed tests don't interest me in the least), I couldn't care less if I collect every single data point.  As soon as I finish the story I'll likely put the game away and move on to Mass Effect.  I don't just rush through the Story though as I did make a point to get all the tallnecks and crucibles and I've done every Bandit stronghold whose level is less than or equal to my current Main story mission level (I actually enjoy taking them down).  I'll probably do a little grinding to get the Shadow version of the couple of weapons I don't yet have (I've managed to get what I needed for most just by playing normally) but other than that unless it's required to complete the game I probably won't get it.  I'm aware that the Shield Weaver Armor is the reward for the Power Cell mission I have but if I've got to go out of my way do get it then I'll likely just skip it.

As noted before in this thread I'm not sure how playable this game is after you've finished it.  I'm having a great time going through it now because I don't know what I'm about to see.  The first time I walked into a Crucible was pretty amazing for example, the others were just more of the same.  When I know what happened to the world and where I came from I'm not sure there will be much point in playing the game again or grinding to get some piece of rare gear or PSN Trophey.  That's just not my thing.

I've finished it about 4 times now, going through the difficulty levels, now I'm just finishing up for the platinum. I believe the lodge weapons are better than the shadow equivalent but as I am struggling in the hunting grounds, I cannot say for sure, the carja mighty bow seems to be more powerful than the shadow version even though it's less customisable, as a main shooter.

I never used to care about platinum trophies until wolfenstein, as it was the easiest platinum I ever earned..

Your opinion of what makes a game repeat playable may differ from mine and rightly so, but for what it's worth, I believe I will still play it even after earning the platinum.

• Like 1

vf-    30
4 hours ago, Asmodai said:

I didn't even know about it myself but I was going up to GIA and couldn't go further as there is a missing ladder so came back down. Then of course I ran into this thing. Seems to be a part of the map that triggers the battle.

Running away from it is a challenge in itself as it is so damn fast.

This was why I picked the hardest difficulty making the game last as long as possible. Since so many complained they wish they could relive the new experience again. As I'm soaking up every part of it trying to make every new adventure last as long as possible. :D 

+Asmodai    637
14 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I've finished it about 4 times now, going through the difficulty levels, now I'm just finishing up for the platinum. I believe the lodge weapons are better than the shadow equivalent but as I am struggling in the hunting grounds, I cannot say for sure, the carja mighty bow seems to be more powerful than the shadow version even though it's less customisable, as a main shooter.

I never used to care about platinum trophies until wolfenstein, as it was the easiest platinum I ever earned..

Your opinion of what makes a game repeat playable may differ from mine and rightly so, but for what it's worth, I believe I will still play it even after earning the platinum.

I just want to be clear that I was just stating my personal taste and NOT advocating that position to others.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a completionist, if you enjoy collecting Platinum trophey's that's great, do what you enjoy.  What's fun for one person may not be for another.  I was just saying that's not me personally... in fact despite having PlayStations as my primary console since the Sony introduced Trophey's I don't have a single Platinum, heck I've probably got very few Gold.  It's just not something I personally aim for, the trophey's I do get are just because I just happened to do what they were for during my normal play of the game without any thought to the trophey (heck in Horizon most of them seem to be Hidden anyway so it's not like you can try but so hard to get them... well without looking up what they are elsewhere)

My understanding is the Lodge weapon ARE slightly better than the Shadow versions but it's not a HUGE difference and in my opinion (which yours may be different) it's simply not worth the effort since I find timed skill tests to be mind numbingly tedious.

I'm in my 40's now... I think as I get older I care less and less about trophey's...  heck I often don't even finish games any more at all but if I get several dozen hours of fun play out of them I consider them worth it even if I don't finish them.  As for replayability, and specifically in "open world" games I'd say for me the big factor is how interactive the environment is.  I mean GTA and Elder Scrolls are the kings there in my mind because you can play around in their worlds and have fun even without doing the storyline.  I've spent HUNDREDS of hours in each Elder Scrolls game but despite that Skyrim was the FIRST one I finished the plot in.

In Horizon I feel like I'm being pulled along almost entirely by the Story... so once I know the outcome of that then I'm not sure there will be much draw to keep playing.  I could be wrong of course because I haven't finished it so I don't KNOW for sure but it doesn't seem to have as reactive of an environment... in other words I don't find myself doing a lot of things not specifically related to a (hand crafted?) mission.  The other day I traveled back to one of the first towns from the game... just to see if anything new popped up... it was like a ghost town because I guess they don't expect you to go back.  I never get that feeling in Skyrim or GTA.  I'd say the Story telling in this is much better than Elder Scrolls but Elder Scrolls makes much more interesting "open worlds" to just play around in when not doing the Story.

+Asmodai    637
51 minutes ago, vf- said:

I didn't even know about it myself but I was going up to GIA and couldn't go further as there is a missing ladder so came back down. Then of course I ran into this thing. Seems to be a part of the map that triggers the battle.

I've somehow managed to miss the trigger I guess.  Not sure how I managed that.

51 minutes ago, vf- said:

This was why I picked the hardest difficulty making the game last as long as possible. Since so many complained they wish they could relive the new experience again. As I'm soaking up every part of it trying to make every new adventure last as long as possible. :D 

I think your twitch skills are likely VASTLY superior to mine.  I'm horrible at fighting but I play the game like a stealth game.  I sneak past most things or I use hit and run tactics (hit then, run and hide and wait for the agro to go away, repeat).  I struggle even on "Normal" if there's nowhere to hide and I'm forced to fight... I'm just not good at it.  I focused on the crucibles so I could override the opponents but the end battles of them are really hard for me since there tends to be nowhere to hide during the final fight.  Now I have them all overridden though I often just sneak up to one machine in a group (or whistle it over) and overried it then sit and watch it fight the others.  After the battle if there's more than one left I repeat and then when only one is left it's usually banged up pretty bad and I just kill that one and then loot everything.  It probably sounds boring to a more twitch oriented gamer (and I don't mean that in a mean way, it's just a different play style) but I greatly enjoy using stealth and patience to defeat a foe, much more so than charging in and killing everything.  I kill only when necessary not out of some moral or challenge but because I stink at it ROFL.  I also use environment things like shooting fire arrows at blaze canisters and such.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Asmodai said:

I just want to be clear that I was just stating my personal taste and NOT advocating that position to others.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a completionist, if you enjoy collecting Platinum trophey's that's great, do what you enjoy.  What's fun for one person may not be for another.  I was just saying that's not me personally... in fact despite having PlayStations as my primary console since the Sony introduced Trophey's I don't have a single Platinum, heck I've probably got very few Gold.  It's just not something I personally aim for, the trophey's I do get are just because I just happened to do what they were for during my normal play of the game without any thought to the trophey (heck in Horizon most of them seem to be Hidden anyway so it's not like you can try but so hard to get them... well without looking up what they are elsewhere)

My understanding is the Lodge weapon ARE slightly better than the Shadow versions but it's not a HUGE difference and in my opinion (which yours may be different) it's simply not worth the effort since I find timed skill tests to be mind numbingly tedious.

I'm in my 40's now... I think as I get older I care less and less about trophey's...  heck I often don't even finish games any more at all but if I get several dozen hours of fun play out of them I consider them worth it even if I don't finish them.  As for replayability, and specifically in "open world" games I'd say for me the big factor is how interactive the environment is.  I mean GTA and Elder Scrolls are the kings there in my mind because you can play around in their worlds and have fun even without doing the storyline.  I've spent HUNDREDS of hours in each Elder Scrolls game but despite that Skyrim was the FIRST one I finished the plot in.

In Horizon I feel like I'm being pulled along almost entirely by the Story... so once I know the outcome of that then I'm not sure there will be much draw to keep playing.  I could be wrong of course because I haven't finished it so I don't KNOW for sure but it doesn't seem to have as reactive of an environment... in other words I don't find myself doing a lot of things not specifically related to a (hand crafted?) mission.  The other day I traveled back to one of the first towns from the game... just to see if anything new popped up... it was like a ghost town because I guess they don't expect you to go back.  I never get that feeling in Skyrim or GTA.  I'd say the Story telling in this is much better than Elder Scrolls but Elder Scrolls makes much more interesting "open worlds" to just play around in when not doing the Story.

Just to be clear, I'm also in my 40's and didn't care about platinum trophies (until wolfenstein) to be honest If I don't get the platinum, I won't lose sleep, I've spent a lot of time getting shafted in other games to invest too much time into the pursuit. but for a game on it's 4th playthrough, I'm still finding it enjoyable, so kudos to guerrilla there.

I still consider myself a moderate hobby gamer, (the only game I used to go into hardcore was killzone)

Also have you gone back to Rost's old house? You get to pay your respects to his grave, I believe the speech is longer depending on how much of the game you've completed.

• Like 1

vf-    30
10 hours ago, Asmodai said:

I've somehow managed to miss the trigger I guess.  Not sure how I managed that.

I think your twitch skills are likely VASTLY superior to mine.  I'm horrible at fighting but I play the game like a stealth game.  I sneak past most things or I use hit and run tactics (hit then, run and hide and wait for the agro to go away, repeat).  I struggle even on "Normal" if there's nowhere to hide and I'm forced to fight... I'm just not good at it.  I focused on the crucibles so I could override the opponents but the end battles of them are really hard for me since there tends to be nowhere to hide during the final fight.  Now I have them all overridden though I often just sneak up to one machine in a group (or whistle it over) and overried it then sit and watch it fight the others.  After the battle if there's more than one left I repeat and then when only one is left it's usually banged up pretty bad and I just kill that one and then loot everything.  It probably sounds boring to a more twitch oriented gamer (and I don't mean that in a mean way, it's just a different play style) but I greatly enjoy using stealth and patience to defeat a foe, much more so than charging in and killing everything.  I kill only when necessary not out of some moral or challenge but because I stink at it ROFL.  I also use environment things like shooting fire arrows at blaze canisters and such.

Oh there is plenty I'm still having to stealth. Especially those Tramplers, multiple or even triple Stalkers and Behemoths. I'm not ready enough to get up and close with them yet.

Really loving these battles though.

Paradigmfusion    5

Horizon is a great game. Well worth the $60 price tag. I have earned my platinum and I have finished the game on very hard and have discovered every location, collectable and machine.. 100% completion.. 

Sadly all there is to do now is wait for DLC. Hopefully it's not going to take as long as it has for FFXV..

+Asmodai    637
19 hours ago, vf- said:

Ok I didn't notice this the first time but if that "GIA" above is misspelled I DO thing you are farther than me in the main story.  I just got to where I found out about what that even is (again assuming you misspelled it) and I haven't gotten to where I've gone to it.  Like I said I'm doing the missions lowest level first and when there are ties I do the Main Story ones LAST (in case they advance the world state and make it so I can't do the others).  The one where you find out what Project Zero Dawn is and what that misspelling? is was level 21 for me and I JUST did last night.  Again though I just found out what it is not actually been TO it.  If I'm higher level than you it's likely because you get more xp on lower difficultly level or I've just done more side crap (unlocked all the crucibles for example) to advance farther not done more story.  I JUST got a new piece of armor from the story... that was the last thing that happened before I saved.  It's funny because she acts like it's a good thing but it's worse than everything I already have.  I have the Shadow version of most armor types already (I think I'm just missing the stealth one and the one with the extra socket... and I have the stealth one from one level below shadow)

vf-    30

Ah, its GAiA Prime. That quest hasn't been available to me yet but I went up there looking for a powercell. As the powercell quest came up finding the first of the 3 powercells. Its the last powercell I need. Looks like a place from Masters of the Universe.

I'll have to recheck what I've still to do. I know I've one bandit camp to clear out. Last night I finished the curse of the darkness which was quite something.

Still to do city of the sun. Into the borderlands. The sun shall fall. Hmm, looking up city of the sun I remember breaking the hatch. Oh yes, I've done city of the sun

as you had to talk to olin after defeating two corruptors

what looked like a quarry?

Oh and those rock breakers I had to stealth as well. They're nasty things! Wouldn't like to get stuck facing two of those in a shower of rocks likely facing a rapid death.

Edited by vf-

+Asmodai    637
3 hours ago, vf- said:

Oh and those rock breakers I had to stealth as well. They're nasty things! Wouldn't like to get stuck facing two of those in a shower of rocks likely facing a rapid death.

I call them Shai-Hulud and try not to kill them.  My gf thinks it's funny.  Everytime I see them and she's in the room I start chanting...

"Bless the Maker and His water.
Bless the coming and going of Him.
May His passage cleanse the world.
May He keep the world for His people."

11 hours ago, vf- said:

Ah, its GAiA Prime. That quest hasn't been available to me yet but I went up there looking for a powercell. As the powercell quest came up finding the first of the 3 powercells. Its the last powercell I need. Looks like a place from Masters of the Universe.

You'll need 5 in total, they're for the Shieldweaver Armour set (limited invulnerability)

11 hours ago, vf- said:

Wait until you have to do 3 or more at once, or the Corrupted versions :p They're not too bad if you use the environment to your advantage, Rockbreakers are usually limited to areas with some decent hard cover, the tall grass won't help, but the rocky outcrops can cancel out their attacks.

All I will say is, The Elemental Arrows are your friend.

14 hours ago, Asmodai said:

Ok I didn't notice this the first time but if that "GIA" above is misspelled I DO thing you are farther than me in the main story.  I just got to where I found out about what that even is (again assuming you misspelled it) and I haven't gotten to where I've gone to it.  Like I said I'm doing the missions lowest level first and when there are ties I do the Main Story ones LAST (in case they advance the world state and make it so I can't do the others).  The one where you find out what Project Zero Dawn is and what that misspelling? is was level 21 for me and I JUST did last night.  Again though I just found out what it is not actually been TO it.  If I'm higher level than you it's likely because you get more xp on lower difficultly level or I've just done more side crap (unlocked all the crucibles for example) to advance farther not done more story.  I JUST got a new piece of armor from the story... that was the last thing that happened before I saved.  It's funny because she acts like it's a good thing but it's worse than everything I already have.  I have the Shadow version of most armor types already (I think I'm just missing the stealth one and the one with the extra socket... and I have the stealth one from one level below shadow)

Ok I just read that, and now I'm confused.. What?

I want to help

20 hours ago, Paradigmfusion said:

I have earned my platinum and I have finished the game on very hard and have discovered every location, collectable and machine.. 100% completion.. 

Not exactly the best first post I've seen, is that all you wanted to do? Gloat? Because we have lives outside of getting platinums, we're about helping one another.

• Like 1

+Asmodai    637
11 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I'm not sure what you're confused about.  vf- made reference to 'GIA' which I missed the first time I read it.  That same night I got to the point in the main story where you are introduced to Gaia and I thought that was probably what he was referring to.  I'm trying to speak somewhat vague so I don't give spoilers to others who may be reading this thread but vf- seems to have got what I was saying.

• Like 1

vf-    30
15 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

You'll need 5 in total, they're for the Shieldweaver Armour set (limited invulnerability)

Wait until you have to do 3 or more at once, or the Corrupted versions :p They're not too bad if you use the environment to your advantage, Rockbreakers are usually limited to areas with some decent hard cover, the tall grass won't help, but the rocky outcrops can cancel out their attacks.

All I will say is, The Elemental Arrows are your friend.

I want to help

I used 2 of them to open the door. Picked up 2 from revisiting past locations and have one left remaining to complete the quest that I cannot access yet.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, vf- said:

I used 2 of them to open the door. Picked up 2 from revisiting past locations and have one left remaining to complete the quest that I cannot access yet.

At a guess I'm going to go ahead and say you till find it near the Horus Class 'remains' up in the mountains, (to avoid giving too much away) this is a part where you will finally meet Commander Zavala :p face to face.

(You'll need to get the power cell before you finally meet him, I can be more specific via pm if you wish) :)

• Like 1

Paradigmfusion    5
On 3/23/2017 at 9:48 PM, The Evil Overlord said:

Not exactly the best first post I've seen, is that all you wanted to do? Gloat? Because we have lives outside of getting platinums, we're about helping one another.

Nothing to do with gloating.. I was just saying that I wish there was more replay value.. once you get it all done all you can really do is just explore and wait for DLC.

Nick H.    9,547

I've got the PS Store open and I'm looking at Horizon Zero Dawn...£50, is it worth it? Or is it a better idea to wait for it to drop in price?

• Like 1

Paradigmfusion    5
2 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I've got the PS Store open and I'm looking at Horizon Zero Dawn...£50, is it worth it? Or is it a better idea to wait for it to drop in price?

Even at full retail it's worth it. Great game. Lots to do. Great story. It is one of 5 PS4 titles that I have paid full price for on launch day.. if it is only £50 then grab it up while you can.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick H. said:

It's worth it Nick, if you haven't already done so, check out you local game shops, you may find a used copy (which'll still be brand new) for a little less. The deluxe version (digital or new physical) gives you some more powerful weapons than the standard ones you start with if you're interested.

• Like 1