Activating Windows 10 on new PC

At work, I have a PC that I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10. I am getting ready to replace the PC and the one I am looking at only has Windows 10 Home on it. I need Pro so I can use my work domain. Do I just activate Windows on the new PC using my MS account and will it somehow change Home to Pro?

you will have to pay to get the upgrade from home to pro. Did you old machine come with a windows 8 install already or did you buy it and add it later? you may be able to move the install that way.

If you have Windows 10 Pro key, then you can enter it in the activation page so it will change from Home to Pro for you. 

If not, you will need to buy a copy of Windows 10 upgrade in order to switch from Home to Pro.  You will need the key from the upgrade sticker that comes with it. No need to re-install.  just use the key and it will switch to Pro for you.

12 minutes ago, BritBronco said:

you will have to pay to get the upgrade from home to pro. Did you old machine come with a windows 8 install already or did you buy it and add it later? you may be able to move the install that way.

On the old machine, I was actually running a TechNet version of Windows 8 that I successfully upgraded to Windows 10 pro during the free upgrade period. Would I just log in with my MS ID and it will activate Windows 10 pro on the new machine or will I need the TechNet product key I used?

1 minute ago, patseguin said:

On the old machine, I was actually running a TechNet version of Windows 8 that I successfully upgraded to Windows 10 pro during the free upgrade period. Would I just log in with my MS ID and it will activate Windows 10 pro on the new machine or will I need the TechNet product key I used?

Doesn't work that way.  Your work machine is using that key for that machine only...  

Instead, buy a new copy and use that pro key in the new machine. It will go from Home to Pro.  

Understand? 

5 minutes ago, patseguin said:

You will probably need the technet key. Try it and see what happens.

7 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Doesn't work that way.  Your work machine is using that key for that machine only...  

Instead, buy a new copy and use that pro key in the new machine. It will go from Home to Pro.  

Understand? 

I thought the whole thing with their new activation system was that the Windows 10 activation followed your ID and not the machine. No? Like at home, if I decided to build a new PC wouldn't I just install Windows 10 and log in with my MS ID and be activated ont he new hardware?

Just now, patseguin said:

I thought the whole thing with their new activation system was that the Windows 10 activation followed your ID and not the machine. No? Like at home, if I decided to build a new PC wouldn't I just install Windows 10 and log in with my MS ID and be activated ont he new hardware?

The key can be used on same device for the life. 

You can get a new key for new PC..  You can't use same key for new one. Not sure MS allows you to transfer the key/license to new one. You will have to call MS for that as long as you are not using work PC and using the new PC for the rest of the time. You can not use same key on both PCs. If you are talking about replacing the PC at work for new PC. then you might be able to transfer if you are calling MS support. Otherwise you get a new key for it.  

If you make some hardware changes, it should be okay if you use same key on same machine.  If you are getting a new PC, you need a new key since the free upgrade offer is over. You'd have to get a new one. Because your keys are your account are used on your current machines only.   I doubt they aren't transferrable. 

21 minutes ago, patseguin said:

It is tied to the hardware ID, so if the activation servers see one key on multiple hardware ids they will deactivate one of them. You need to transfer your license and need the technet key to install on the new computer.

In an admin command prompt type slmgr.vbs /upk that will remove the key from the system and allow you to use the key on the replacement computer, however you will need the technet key to perform the install. Simply logging into your MS account will not do the trick. You'll most likely have to activate via phone or through "contact support" and explain your situation to the Microsoft tech.

Makes sense thanks guys. I suppose if it worked the way I thought, limitless people would use the same ID and not pay for Windows...