Set top box seller forced to pay £250,000 for selling fully laden kodi boxes.

A businessman who sold "fully loaded" set-top boxes to pubs and clubs, enabling them to watch subscription TV for free, must pay £250,000.

Malcolm Mayes, from Hartlepool, admitted breaching the Copyright, Designs & Patents Act by advertising and selling adapted IPTV boxes.

The 65-year-old must pay £170,000 costs and an £80,000 Proceeds of Crime Order was imposed by Teesside Crown Court.

Two 10-month prison sentences were suspended for a year.

Mayes sold the boxes - often referred to as "Android" or "Kodi" boxes - to pubs and clubs across the country for £1,000 each and advertised the devices as "100% legal".

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-39184505

Edited by Mando

26 minutes ago, Mando said:

Mayes sold the boxes - often referred to as "Android" or "Kodi" boxes - to pubs and clubs across the country for £1,000 each and advertised the devices as "100% legal".

Well, there you go then.   Greedy, and stupid.  

On 3/8/2017 at 1:04 AM, E.worm Jimmy said:

Well, there you go then.   Greedy, and stupid.  

yup.

I have no issue with the authorities going for clowns like these, or infact anyone modifying Kodi to stream copyrighted material. You are knowingly bypassing/circumventing DRM to view copyright material without the right to, boom Copyright, Designs and Patents Act breached right there.

There is no justification to steal copyrighted material period. 

I feel for the Kodi devs, most non-techs think its a Kodi feature....when infact its not. such a shame to such a stellar open source application is being pulled through the press because of thieving dishonest people like him in the story.

33 minutes ago, John Teacake said:

Knowing the area, There is NO WAY he sold these for £1000 each. 

I laughed...but he sold them for that price to pubs....I'm sure they could fetch that much. Imagine the trade if they were able to show a football game or boxing match?

I often see these on Facebook. I should start to report them

• Like 1

I hate these tossers.  I have avidly supported (donated) to XBMC and now Kodi since it first came out on the original XBOX.  These people are giving it a bad name.

Also, they just lie.  "Yeah mate, it's legit - cos it's on the Internet" and they believe their own BS.

Sorry, I'm not scum, I pay for the services I consume - how amazing, right?

One such guy tried to convince my mum that the paid subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon Prime and so on on the Apple TV I bought her were "pointless" as it was all "available for free online".  First off, ###### off - you don't provide the support that she would need with some ###### hacked Kodi box with poorly written, continually expiring plugins.  You don't provide the support that she would inevitably need trying to find whatever she wanted to watch.  But moreover, mine or my mums financial commitments are absolutely fine with the ease of use this brings, so nose out.

6 hours ago, John Teacake said:

Knowing the area, There is NO WAY he sold these for £1000 each. 

compared to the cost of sky for retail premises a one off payment £1000 seems a cracking deal actually. He sold them to retail premises for public broadcasting.