Just a quick update for anyone who was following along.

I did finish the game last weekend.  All in all it was ok, good enough to keep me from quiting but not good enough that I'd strongly recommend it to others.  I can't say I'll spend much more time on it unless some story DLC comes out for it but with the Studio being all but shut down I'm not sure that's going to happen.

This was my first Mass Effect game so I can't compare it to the others.

10 hours ago, George P said:

A bit of bad news for the ME:A fans, or just ME fans in general, looks like bioware has cut the team down in size and or put it on hold.

http://kotaku.com/sources-bioware-montreal-downsized-mass-effect-put-on-1795100285

I kinda figured this would happen with the poor launch and Bioware focusing on new IP.  I keep wishing they'd launch with less bugs, as I think the game stands pretty well on its own once you're past that.

Seeing people bitch about the bugs is weird when all I can think is "Where have you been the last ten years?"

1 hour ago, dwLostCat said:

I kinda figured this would happen with the poor launch and Bioware focusing on new IP.  I keep wishing they'd launch with less bugs, as I think the game stands pretty well on its own once you're past that.

Seeing people bitch about the bugs is weird when all I can think is "Where have you been the last ten years?"

The bugs is why I don't buy games of this scale on day 1 anymore.  I don't have enough time either, so I wait for a few patches to come out and also get it on sale at $45 or less, depending on the game.

4 minutes ago, George P said:

The bugs is why I don't buy games of this scale on day 1 anymore.  I don't have enough time either, so I wait for a few patches to come out and also get it on sale at $45 or less, depending on the game.

I should just give up on new games and hardware entirely at this point.  I have far more than enough crap already.

...seems unlikely though.

6 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

I should just give up on new games and hardware entirely at this point.  I have far more than enough crap already.

...seems unlikely though.

I'll never give up, just scale back.

20 hours ago, George P said:

I don't pay $60 for games... but Amazon has this thing where you get 20% off if you preorder the game from them (from Prime subscribers)... so I'll buy big named games a few days before launch from Amazon for $48 as they aren't likely to go below that for some time.  I have a backlog due to limited time so if it's too buggy I can just set it aside and play something else until it gets patched, when I do get around to it if it's only a few weeks/months the game is typically still selling for more than $48 so if I had waited I would have to pay more (unless it's over a year then prices tend to drop more).

I would say Mass Effect was extremely buggy in terms of the number of time I ran into bugs but most were just minor annoyances... it never completely crashed or locked up nor did any of the major story missions break.  I had several minor side quests break (conveniently a few of them are fixed in the recent patch, now that I've finished the game) or were just things like doors not opening on the first try, the eternal "You have new mail." despite not having any, and trying to get to the right angle to active an item or talk to someone.  So none were bad enough to make me put it down until it was fixed but there were A LOT of little issues (or perhaps it would be better stated as a few minor issues that came up over and over and over again)

The latest patch seemed to have fixed most of the ones I ran into though so if you were waiting now may be a good time to jump in.  I'm sure there's still minor issues but the most annoying ones I ran into are in the patch notes. (I haven't actually fired it up since it patched to verify though).

On 5/12/2017 at 2:48 PM, Asmodai said:

I don't pay $60 for games... but Amazon has this thing where you get 20% off if you preorder the game from them (from Prime subscribers)... so I'll buy big named games a few days before launch from Amazon for $48 as they aren't likely to go below that for some time.  I have a backlog due to limited time so if it's too buggy I can just set it aside and play something else until it gets patched, when I do get around to it if it's only a few weeks/months the game is typically still selling for more than $48 so if I had waited I would have to pay more (unless it's over a year then prices tend to drop more).

I would say Mass Effect was extremely buggy in terms of the number of time I ran into bugs but most were just minor annoyances... it never completely crashed or locked up nor did any of the major story missions break.  I had several minor side quests break (conveniently a few of them are fixed in the recent patch, now that I've finished the game) or were just things like doors not opening on the first try, the eternal "You have new mail." despite not having any, and trying to get to the right angle to active an item or talk to someone.  So none were bad enough to make me put it down until it was fixed but there were A LOT of little issues (or perhaps it would be better stated as a few minor issues that came up over and over and over again)

The latest patch seemed to have fixed most of the ones I ran into though so if you were waiting now may be a good time to jump in.  I'm sure there's still minor issues but the most annoying ones I ran into are in the patch notes. (I haven't actually fired it up since it patched to verify though).

I think you can actually get that Prime price up to 2 weeks after launch.

I'm in my Insanity run for platnum now.