How long do you think you could last without the internet?

How long do you think you could impose upon yourself a complete denial of using the internet? I don't just mean a web browser or checking email but anything that connected to the internet.

You could still use other technology. You could play a computer game but it couldn't connect to online servers. You could still use your PC as long as it was completey disconnected from the web. How long do you think those things could entertain you before they became boring, or in the case of software, utilitarian?

Edit: if your job requires you to use the internet, and given this is a tech site that is probably true for a lot of us, pretend you could do other work at your place of employment that doesn't require internet access.

5 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

I can live without the internet.  Not a problem.    

Even can live without a smartphone.   

I like to go out to the lake without anyone calling me.   :) 

No you can't. I remember we tested you on that and you failed. :p

• Like 2

We took our kids on a family vacation to Africa for two weeks. It was a wonderful experience for everyone being away from the internet world. Like @xendromesaid, it depends on the circumstances. Me personally, I could be away from it for a while, and it wouldn't bother me one bit.

I could go without the Internet permanently if everyone else also had no access... It's just to vital to everyday life these days to NOT have Internet. Saying that, I have no problem going on a one or two week vacation with no Internet.

Never really miss the internet when I don't have access to it. Whenever I go camping for the week, I made sure to not bring my laptop, and also take my sim and put it into a flip phone (although with ATT shutting down 2g that may be a problem now). Don't go through any withdrawal, and it's actually quite a refreshing experience to be tech free for awhile.

Several of our regular vacation spots are completely dark. No wifi, no phone service etc. and we have no problems spending the week or two in those spots. We also don't come home with massive withdrawals to get back online. That said, my wife and I are older so our reliance on a connected world tend to be less than most. We don't use Facebook, SnapChat, Instagram etc. and believe it or not, we still read paper books regularly.  

6 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

No you can't. I remember we tested you on that and you failed. :p

I didn't fail.. i was messing with you. But I am serious about living without it.     I am not addicted to it.

I have a smartphone in case my parents have health issues.. they are old now.   They get a hold of me when they need me. Once they are passed away, i can cancel the service no problem.

If it disappeared for everyone it wouldn't be too bad to adjust I don't think. But if you're talking about just me being forced off it would be tougher. Not impossible, I've taken holidays where there is no Internet connection. But there would be moments where I may think of a question, think about Googling it and then feel a pang as I realised that I couldn't. Or I would overhear a conversation about something that had happened in the news, and I'd get frustrated that I couldn't go online to read about what happened.

It wouldn't be the end of the world, though.

1 hour ago, TAZMINATOR said:

I didn't fail.. i was messing with you. But I am serious about living without it.     I am not addicted to it.

I have a smartphone in case my parents have health issues.. they are old now.   They get a hold of me when they need me. Once they are passed away, i can cancel the service no problem.

You're not addicted, but nowadays people rely on the internet for basic tasks. So I don't think you would be fine without the internet for even a month. 

If I have my laptop with all the stuff I have on it, I can go for a very long time.   I only had it with maybe 2 old school adventure games and 10 book, and i loved it on my 1 month nature trip.

in fact I did not even have a phone for 3 weeks (i connected to satellite to make one call on my moms birthday)

it was INCREDIBLY PEACEFUL, i was relaxed, happy, focused, without constant distractions.   

after a week back, i was back to my normal ADD self.

6 minutes ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

If I have my laptop with all the stuff I have on it, I can go for a where long time.   I only had it with maybe 2 old school adventure games and 10 book, and i loved it on my 1 month nature trip.

in fact I did not even have a phone for 3 weeks (i connected to satelitte to make one call on my moms birthday)

it was INCREDIBLY PEACEFUL, i was relaxed, happy, focused, without constant distractions.   

after a week back, i was back to my normal ADD self.

Was this before you talked to us? :p

When I moved a few years ago I didn't bother to set up/connect my computers (PC and laptop) for a little over 3 weeks.  I was busy with other things at the time, unpacking, etc., but I didn't miss it.  When I finally got it set up it took me another week to get the cable modem and my router installed.  By that time I was missing it somewhat, mostly catching up on the news around the world.

Being retired now I would definitely miss not having access to the internet.  I use it daily for so many things - news, Neowin, shopping, information, paying bills and email.  Whenever I travel I take my laptop and, of course, my Droid and my Garmin (when driving).  I wouldn't last long without a connection to be honest.  lol 

• Like 3

I went for 6 months without internet, TV, computers when i went away for a while to another country.

The main reason people are so addicted to these devices is because there isn't anything else to do or keep your mind busy.

I could probably manage a few hours without anything where i am currently. because there is nothing else to do.

2 hours ago, LimeMaster said:

So I don't think you would be fine without the internet for even a month. 

Yes I can live without the internet for more than a month.  Even FOREVER! 

A friend of mine who lives other side of town, he doesn't have the internet since 2011.    

6 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

oct-nov 2015

That's mean we were all probably wondering were you where.  :o

4 hours ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Yes I can live without the internet for more than a month.  Even FOREVER! 

A friend of mine who lives other side of town, he doesn't have the internet since 2011.   

Okay so, challenge time: don't use the internet for the rest of the month.

9 hours ago, shockz said:

Never really miss the internet when I don't have access to it. Whenever I go camping for the week, I made sure to not bring my laptop, and also take my sim and put it into a flip phone (although with ATT shutting down 2g that may be a problem now). Don't go through any withdrawal, and it's actually quite a refreshing experience to be tech free for awhile.

They make 3G and 4G flip phones.

13 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

That's mean we were all probably wondering were you where.  :o

Spoiler

55986295.jpg

tumblr_inline_mmoo9juR761r9syt7.gif

13 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

Okay so, challenge time: don't use the internet for the rest of the month.

NO.   btw you have 17771 posts.    Does it feel special!??

5 minutes ago, E.worm Jimmy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

55986295.jpg

tumblr_inline_mmoo9juR761r9syt7.gif

NO.   btw you have 17771 posts.    Does it feel special!??

Spoiler

giphy.gif

As for post count, not really. I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it. Also, are you speaking on Taz's behalf? :laugh:

I could last as long as I needed to, but I'd be hard pressed to use any other tools costing the same amount to socialize with people from where I live.

Plenty of bars close by I guess, filled with people I already hate and I don't even know them.