Cisco Meraki

I rec'd my Meraki AP yesterday.

I was a little shocked when it arrived, because I did not sit through a seminar.  I signed up for the webinar, but the presenter never showed, and the WebEx app crashed after waiting for 10 minutes for the presenter to show up.

I sent them an email, and mentioned I didnt have time to re-schedule - but they sent me one anyway.

I decided to just wing it, and poke around setting everything up - which was pretty easy.

Im pretty impressed with everything it can do.  I'd show some screenshots but Im too lazy to remove all of the identifiable information.
I have it on the wall currently, but am planning on attaching it to the roof in my game room before it gets too hot to go in the attic.

MR33
Capture.thumb.JPG.21bae58d245e9088382fdef27d7ee2fe.JPG

That is a 400+ AP I do believe.. Looks like has 2x2 Wave 2.. sweet.. whats the lic cost after the 3 years ;)

13 hours ago, John Teacake said:

I cant quite put my finger on it but there is something I don't like about the whole Meraki thing.

Is it the pay for play aspect ?
Or the fact that since it is cloud-based, it makes you "feel" like its vulnerable?

I really like it because I havent had the opportunity to learn how to config/admin enterprise Cisco stuff - so this is my way of dipping my toes into business network security.

The first time I saw someone using PuTTY to connect with an Aironet I thought "there is no way I can learn that on the fly, on my own - the way I have learned everything else.
So, at least I can poke around on this thing, and learn where everything is, trial & error @ home. (which is the main reason I signed up for it)

Personally, I dont really need it.  I was about to buy a ubi AP for my gameroom, but thought this was kind of a win:win solution.

Luckily, I have a company (just for tax purposes really) where I could justify the webinar method.

I don't like either the pay to play or the keep my config/security on the cloud. I don't care how secure they say it is.  There also is the bigger issue, if u stop paying you can no longer monitor or configure the devices.  They could become bricks if you choose to not pay. 

Old school enterprise route for me. 

The pay to play thing isn't really an issue for Enterprise, you pay SmartNet on devices, you just don't haveeeee to pay SmartNet to use a device. I don't mind these devices, I manage a whole heap around the world and they are somewhat easy, but they aren't customisable enough. I mainly use MX for VPN tunnels only.

They are hard to complete troubleshooting and complex configurations. I have very mixed feeling about Meraki, I'd almost always go real Cisco gear.

If you choose not to pay with smart net you can still wipe the device and configure.  You may not get support or be able to replace if it goes bad but you still can essentially use it.  That isn't the issue, the issue with meraki is that it is solely controlled by the cloud and configured there, if you don't pay you can't reconfigure it.