Glass demo of Sun JAVA desktop linux. what is it?

having seen alpha demo ; Will You buy Java Desktop Linux?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. having seen alpha demo ; Will You buy Java Desktop Linux?

• YES YES YES
    • WTF , No Never
    • Will have to see the final finished product
    • Yes but the pricing seems too much.

I am talking about the looking glass demo of SUN LINUX . You can see it here

* http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/xtreme/

* and a direct download link is here http://www.xtremetechshow.com/shows/lg/med...gcommercial.mp4 (5MB file plays in Quicktime)

* Home page of looking glass http://wwws.sun.com/software/looking_glass/demo.html

* and a direct link to web-cast of Project Looking Glass here http://webcast-east.sun.com/ramgen/archive...-1312_01_050.rm (Real player).

I1_mercury_i.jpg

What i mean by question in title is

(Got some answers myself)

1) What is it running on ?

Its seems to be running on pure Java Code. No 3D on X server yet and as stated in the interview on Osnews.com there are no immediate plans for it.

2) Whats the hardware used in the demo?

?????

3) Is it complete OPENGL enviornment or something else?

Nope, Looks like SUN is dicing the code to keep the Hardware requirements as low as possible... this has to be good news if true.

4) Has anyone , neowinner (specially aussie ..) running the LIVE SUN LINUX CD?

5) Who owns/develops Opengl now?

Independent Company

I murmured aussie there cause i read somewhere , Sun gave JAVA LINUX LiveCD at a linux expo there in australia . So some aussies must have a crack at this beauty.

UPDATE :- OSNEWS.COM :- Q&A with Sun's JDS team This answered some of my questions.

Update 2 :- Java Desktop System Get the Software

You can but the Java Linux Desktop for Promotional Price (to June 2, 2004) of US $50 per desktop per year. Will you?

The Complete Pricing structure is explained here http://wwws.sun.com/software/javadesktopsy.../get/index.html

I thought surely Sun will not get it wrong this time but i think i spoke too soon . The pricing seems too much for a freely available OS . If you ask me , if the graphics are beating MAC OSX pants down then the US $50 PER YEAR is OK else another SUN product will go down the drain .... pity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

< offtopic > Speaking of australia. Damn is there a good one-day cricket series going there or what (Xcept the Zims). I wish i was there in Ozland , also the 1st Grand Slam open of 2004 AUSTRALIA OPEN will soon start.. now i really wish i was there .. Keldyn i hope u enjoy cricket . < / offtopic >

Edited by kyro

Why would this be released in Quicktime when Apple has no Linux support?

theres a libquicktime which can play even the newest quicktime versions. use mplayer....

anyways ive already seen this demo...its very nice! but i want to use it now! why hasnt this leaked yet

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/www/3dwm/news/include/common.inc.php on line 66

Warning: setlocale(): Passing locale category name as string is deprecated. Use the LC_* -constants instead. in /home/www/3dwm/news/backend/language/english.lng on line 6

Warning: fopen(/home/www/3dwm/news/backend/layouts/.xlay): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/www/3dwm/news/include/layout.inc.php on line 342

ERROR! Could not write to /home/www/3dwm/news/logs/error.log

Be sure permissions are correct. Run the included fix_permissions.sh script.

Hey, that looks really cool! I can't help but thing it would run slowly after you opened a few applications up though. If no, that's the best UI I have ever seen. I think I would spend most of the time spinning stuff around... :yes:

1) I answer myself for the OpenGL Question http://www.opengl.org/about/overview.html . Its a independent company i guess.

2) Somebody mentioned to me the 3D Glass demo is a Java architechture , meaning Build on Java . If thats true , then Sun have a very Big fish in their hands, I hope they dont slip it away with this. Cause they are good at slipping Big Fishes and spending their money on finding how did they screwed themselves :good sarcasm: .

theres a libquicktime which can play even the newest quicktime versions. use mplayer....

anyways ive already seen this demo...its very nice! but i want to use it now! why hasnt this leaked yet

Okay I got mplayer installed. The was no apt-get package for it so I had to do my own compile. grrr.

I got the quicktime video to play finally.

Surely they could have released this in MPEG format or something that Linux could play natively.

Apple doesn't support Linux. The video is for Linux users. There seems to be a core illogic to this. Oh well. C'est la vie.

Hey, that looks really cool! I can't help but thing it would run slowly after you opened a few applications up though. If no, that's the best UI I have ever seen. I think I would spend most of the time spinning stuff around... :yes:

I wonder how smoothly it will run on your average 1 - 2GHz CPU with onboard video.

it does look impressive, but for what reason does somebody need to position their windows awkwardly in 3D space and flip it upside down? that's just dumb... I think they should put thier minds to USEFUL functionality.

Yes, in terms of productivity I dont see companies buying something like this. Too many employees would be playing much to often, its too much eye candy and like it was stated in this thread there is no true need to have things tilting in a 3D manner. Just an opinion right here but.. doesnt SUN have other things to worry about? This is a heavly internal thing.. dont think we will ever see anything like this on the market, they are already in the red every quarter financially, and they tout that their OS will be largely cheaper than whatever MS charges. I dont see how SUN can keep making things like this, im sure the RD budget for this was huge and they may never see a return on it. But thats SUN.

Yes, in terms of productivity I dont see companies buying something like this. Too many employees would be playing much to often, its too much eye candy and like it was stated in this thread there is no true need to have things tilting in a 3D manner. Just an opinion right here but.. doesnt SUN have other things to worry about? This is a heavly internal thing.. dont think we will ever see anything like this on the market, they are already in the red every quarter financially, and they tout that their OS will be largely cheaper than whatever MS charges. I dont see how SUN can keep making things like this, im sure the RD budget for this was huge and they may never see a return on it. But thats SUN.

Yes, in terms of office productivity, having your applications running as 3D objects compared with seeing them displayed on the taskbar isn't going to be a huge time saver.

wow that was awesome it that just a concept demonstration or is that final? If longhorn can come to within a half of that i think microsoft will have made some progress...