Random incomplete system startups (Windows 10)

Hi,

I am not sure when did this issue started to happen, but most likely, when I bought new graphics card (MSI 1060 Gaming). The issue I am having is, that, once per X days, when I turn on my computer, Windows 10 loading indicator will show up, then both connected monitors will go black and nothing else happens. As the output wouldn't have any signal. When this happens, I have to force shutdown my computer long pressing the power button. After that I turn it on again and everything works as it should.

There are NO other issues when using system.

- no random reboots,

- no gpu issues,

- no overheating 

- no blue screens

So the big question is, why is this happening?

My computer specs are:

INTEL Xeon E3-1231V3 3.40GHz 8MB 4C/8T

ASROCK H97M Pro4

CORSAIR AX760 Platinum
Crucial BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00 16G(2x8G)

CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 25/S600

This irritates the heck out of me and I really want to figure it out why this is happening or at least, what can be the probable cause of it.

- All devices have latest drivers,

- I have latest BIOS version

- As said, there are 0 other issues

Thank you all for your help!

Thank you for your advice @Hum

I did found something else while in log viewer:

The 2nd BugCheck log from 19.03.2017 07:55:16 states:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xffff948354b254a0, 0xfffff80ebf01375c, 0xffffffffc000009a, 0x0000000000000004). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000.

And looking online, the error 0x00000116 means:

BCCode : 116    0x00000116

The VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000116. This indicates that an attempt
to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

I will use DDU again or should I completely remove the device from device manager first? The hardware check will be happening today...

Capture.PNG

One suggestion that MIGHT help, disconnect any odd USB devices and see if the problem will happen. I had a similar boot problem for a while with no solution that was caused by a cheap Ikea USB-powered disk lamp. Once I removed it the problem was solved.

@Tantawi

Hm.. if so, it could explain the "other" usb wifi dongle issues I'm having for which, sometimes I have to plug it out and in to be recognized. We will see. I will keep you informed.

i had a similar issue infrequently when i replaced my 660ti with a 970. Even a fresh Windows install didnt resolve.

ironically i reflashed my motherboard bios with the same version and all was well to date.

After talking with EVGA about the issue, they suggested it could be related to the power being drawn from the pci-e slot, the 970 would try to draw more than the 660 did, reflashing the same BIOS version made the board remeasure the requested power draw.

That's so strange :) I've never heard of Motherboard regulating the power drawn over PCI-e o_O

My first step was to completely remove drivers and device from safe mode... next step (if the issue persists, replug everything)

Well, as to why it's happening I dunno, but it sounds like something is conflicting with fast boot. 

By default With Windows 10 (unless you already changed it) when you turn your computer off and turn it back on you aren't restarting the computer (doing a clean boot), you are coming out of a hibernation / shutdown hybrid.

Which is why when you force it to shut off, the next time you turn it on it's doing a clean boot and not coming out of a form of hibernation and the computer starts like it should.

The easiest way to test this is to open a command prompt with admin privileges and type

powercfg -h off 

which turns off hibernation. Now each time you turn the computer on after being turned off, it's will be doing a clean boot each and every time.

Now try turning the computer on and off a few times and see if you still have the issue.

I see you are running a 512 GB SSD which means you really won't even notice the performance difference, plus you also just got back an extra 16GB of storage.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know its been a while since my last post,

- without reading last post from @warwagon, the issue appeared after few days, 

- to be honest, I'm stilll in doubt about hybernate but we will see

- what I also did is, I completely stopped shutting down computer but putting it into sleep mode, that's where I've noticed exactly the same thing happening, black screen

- I did the powercfg command to disable hybernate and we will see how its going to work.

What it is not clear to me is, how could this be conflicting hybernating if everytime I turn on my computer, it is showing bios status and everything. Isnt this supposed to be full boot without hybernation?

Regards,

Gregor (Y)

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

sorry for Bumping the thread but, since there wasn't any incomplete startups since my last update, I can report the issue as solved. The reason was, thankfully, not connected to graphics card in any way. However, checking the screenshot above, the "EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv" was the real issue. It show that my USB3 Wifi AC1200 dongle from TP-Link is have some problems starting up. Even with latest drivers from official site, it didn't help. Double-checking the TP-Link forums, I've saw people discussing about need to goodle and download the "realtek_wlan_1030.13.704.2016" drivers. After that, there were NO MORE incomplete startups.

1. every startup is successfully done.

2. putting my PC in sleep mode and back, wifi dongle ALWAYS successfully restores the connection

3. no more depression.

4. ???

5. profit.

With that being said, I would like to thank everyone participating in this thread, helping me find the issue. 

Thank you! :)