This week in science - Community review

This week in science - Community review  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

nunesgh    16

Hello, everybody!

I'm Gabriel, News Reporter here at Neowin. Because of my connection to science, I've proposed to Steven the series of weekly articles "This week in science" as a review of the most interesting scientific news of the week. Steven kindly received my proposal and I've started working on it right away.

Now, more than a month after the beginning of the project, I'd like to reach to you, readers and community members, to know what you think about the series. That's why I've created this poll and I'd love if everyone could take a minute to honestly answer it. I can guarantee your feedback is extremely important to me!

For reference, here follows the links to the articles published until now:

Thank you all in advance!

Cheers!

• Like 1
Draggendrop    5,748

The following is my opinion only.

I think you are doing a fine job with these articles. The problem may be asking some of us in the science forum. Some of us are here for general chat and belong to other forums/Science sites for more indepth coverage.

Your articles are interesting and lay off the boring heavy details which can dull viewership.

My advice...Go with your heart to what you feel is really neat, cover it well without boring details and keep it to 3 topics.

You will do fine...and thank's for taking the time to bring science to the general readership.

Looking  forward to your next article.

I have taken the liberty of pinning this topic to help with feedback.

:D

• Like 4
  • Steven P. pinned this topic
nunesgh    16

Thank you for your kind and thorough feedback!

I'm glad to know you think the articles are really bringing science to the general readership in an easy way to follow. That is exactly the goal of this series of articles.

I like your idea of choosing only three topics to cover at once. This way the articles don't get too lengthy to read.

And thank you for pinning this topic! =]

• Like 3
DocM    16,963

I think biology, biomedicine and bionics would be informative. Many techies don't realize the biomedical and other implications of Moore's Law, GPU processing, small supercomputers such as NVIDIA's and so on. Of course I may be prejudiced, having a semi-bionic leg but still...

• Like 1
nunesgh    16

Thank you for your feedback!

I'll take it in account, too! =]

• Steven P. unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ather Fawaz
      Sycamore ran the largest chemical simulation performed on a quantum computer to date
      by Ather Fawaz

Google’s Sycamore 54-qubit quantum computer. Image by Rocco Ceselin via Google AI Blog Computer simulations in chemistry are a powerful way of understanding and optimizing chemical processes. But as the size of the system under consideration grows, so does the computational complexity of modeling the quantum chemical equations. This is due to the fact that increasing the size of a system leads to exponential scaling in the number and statistics of quantum variables. As such, the exact solution of quantum chemical equations for all but the smallest systems remain intractable for modern classical computers.

Considering this, quantum computers with their exponential computational power provide a way to encapsulate such systems. In a study published in Science today, the Google AI Quantum team sought to accelerate the current quantum chemistry simulation techniques. The researchers used the infamous 54-qubit quantum computer Sycamore, which achieved quantum supremacy last year, to run the largest chemical simulation performed on a quantum computer to date.

Part of the simulation involved modeling the isomerization of diazene and binding energies hydrogen chains:

To achieve this, the team used a noise-robust variational quantum eigensolver (VQE) to directly simulate a chemical mechanism via a quantum algorithm. VQE was important because quantum calculations are prone to noise that causes inaccuracies in calculations. Essentially, the technique treats a quantum processor like a neural network and attempts to optimize the quantum circuit’s parameters by dynamically minimizing a cost function to account for errors during computation.

The next challenge was to define a system that was able to control Sycamore. For this, the team used an automated framework that mapped this problem onto a graph with thousands of vertices whereby each vertex represented a physics experiment to determine a single unknown parameter.

Energy predictions of molecular geometries by the Hartree-Fock model simulated on 10 qubits of the Sycamore. Image via Google AI Blogs With this setup in place, Google's team not only ran the largest chemical simulation performed on a quantum computer to date but also provided a proof of concept that the proposed method makes it possible to achieve chemical accuracy when VQE is combined with error mitigation strategies. Moving forward, the researchers hope their experiment serves as a blueprint for simulations on quantum processors in the future.

The complete code for running this experiment has been posted on GitHub. Further details and the original research paper can be found here.

• By Ather Fawaz
      Investment portfolio built with graph neural networks demonstrates promising results
      by Ather Fawaz

Graph neural networks (GNNs) are a relatively recent development in the field of machine learning. Like traditional graphs, a core principle of GNNs is that they model the dependencies and relationships between nodes. A particularly nifty feature in this architecture is that unlike standard neural networks, GNNs retain a state that can represent information from its neighborhood with arbitrary depth.

Building on this, Bloomberg recently released a white paper that leverages graph neural networks to construct an investment portfolio based on supply chain data. The researchers used Bloomberg's Supply Chain dataset, which contains data on over 100,000 companies, to develop an extension of the classical customer momentum strategy that was given by Cohen and Frazzini back in 2008.

Since a given company in the dataset may be connected to multiple companies, we can consider the entire supply chain dataset as one gargantuan graph. In this graph, each company would be represented by a node while its supply chain relationships would be represented by directed edges between the nodes. Bloomberg took this idea and mapped it into a problem that could be solved via GNNs. And the intrinsic architecture of GNNs allowed the traditional analysis of supply chain data to be generalized in multiple ways.

First, it allowed the inclusion of more features of customer companies by taking into account their market cap, volatility, turnover, and considering different lookback horizons. Similarly, GNNs were able to factor the propagation effects from downstream customer firms and also incorporated additional supply chain relationship features to develop an optimal weighting scheme.

The end results showed graph neural network model generated a long-short portfolio that demonstrated "an improved Sharpe Ratio compared with the classical strategies and its alpha was still robust to a Fama/French five-factor attribution." This indicates the "usefulness of using a company's customer relationships from the supply chain dataset in conjunction with graph neural networks," Bloomberg wrote.

Moving forward, the researchers believe that by modifying the underlying graph structure to support different edge types, the model can be extended to include more features like the suppliers of a company and the features of a target company. For companies that already have a traditional supply chain model in place, a GNN can be used to test whether the graph structure of the supply chain dataset might increase the model's predictive power.

• By Ather Fawaz
      SpaceX reveals further details for its spaceport in Texas
      by Ather Fawaz

Image via SpaceX(Twitter) Back in June, we received confirmation from SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk that the company is building a floating spaceport for space travel and hypersonic flights around the Earth. The floating spaceport would be built from refurbished oil platforms, will house a hyperloop for transportation to and from the land, and will be based in Boca Chica, Texas. Now, we have more details about the project.

As spotted by Michael Sheetz (@thesheetztweetz) from CNBC, a new job posting by SpaceX for a 'Resort Development Manager' at Brownsville, Texas, deems the future spaceport at the Boca Chica Village in Texas as a "21st-century Spaceport” and the company’s first resort. Before enlisting the key responsibilities expected of a resort development manager, the company states:

Judging from this and the fact that Starship is now the major focal point of SpaceX's efforts, development and construction for the spaceport have picked up the pace. Just recently, the SN5 prototype for Starship completed a liftoff and landing sequence as part of a test. Though Musk stated that it will be at least a further two to three years before any complete test flights commence.

• By Ather Fawaz
      Boeing will continue to support the ISS through 2024 under a new contract extension
      by Ather Fawaz

Image via Jim Watson (AFP), Getty Images Back in 1993, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) selected Boeing as the prime contractor for the International Space Station (ISS). Since then, the two companies have collaborated on advancing scientific research onboard the space station and human spaceflight in general.

Now, Boeing announced that it will continue supporting the ISS through September of 2024 under a $916 million contract extension that was awarded today. Valued at about $225 million annually, under the contract, apart from managing the ISS' many stations, Boeing will provide resources, engineering support services, and personnel activities aboard the space station as well. Furthermore, the new contract can be extended beyond 2024.

Apropos the contract extension, Boeing Vice President and Program Manager for the ISS, John Mulholland, commented:

Boeing has also been involved in other initiatives in advancing human spaceflight. It is currently one of the two contenders for the NASA Commercial Crew program alongside SpaceX. Its CST-100 Starliner spacecraft is currently in development for the purpose of ferrying astronauts to the ISS. The firm is also building the core stage of NASA’s Space Launch System whereby it hopes to make space travel to lunar orbit and Mars a tangible reality.

• By Ather Fawaz
      Researchers build a pencil-paper based biometric wearable that can monitor body signals
      by Ather Fawaz

Photo by Miguel Á. Padriñán from Pexels Researchers hailing from the University of Missouri recently demonstrated the ability to build biometric wearables using a regular pencil and paper (via Engadget). These on-skin electronic devices can be used in monitoring a variety of local physical conditions, including biophysical (temperature, biopotential) sensors, sweat biochemical (pH, uric acid, glucose) sensors, thermal stimulators, and humidity energy harvesters.

The modus operandi of the invention is as follows. We know that graphite is a good conductor of electricity due to the presence of a sea of free, de-localized electrons. So a pencil can be used to draw graphite patterns that can serve as conductive traces and sensing electrodes. On the other hand, a regular, ubiquitous office-paper can work as flexible supporting substrates for the device.

Image via University of Missouri With this setup, the device performs real-time, continuous, and high-fidelity monitoring of a range of vital biophysical and biochemical signals from human bodies. These include instantaneous heart rates, respiratory rates, and sweat pH, uric acid, and glucose, skin temperatures, electrocardiograms, electromyograms, alpha, beta, and theta rhythms, among others. Here is a demonstration of the setup in action.

The researchers noted that the quality of results is also comparable to those from conventional methods of measuring the same physical quantities. In the same study, pencil–paper-based antennas, 2D and 3D circuits with LEDs and batteries, reconfigurable assembly, and biodegradable electronics were also explored. Moving forward, the team wants to further test this low-cost, accessible pencil-paper based setup before it can commercialize it.