Upgrade of forum 4.1.19 today Monday March 20

What's new!

This includes a security patch and we recommend you upgrade as soon as possible. :unsure: 

This release focuses on bug fixes and performance. You should see speed improvements. New features include:

• A new moderator setting to restrict users from ignoring moderators. :shifty: 
  • A new group setting to allow members to lock their own content. :unsure: 
  • A new group setting to hide a group from filters in search. :ninja: 
  • When moving content moderators are now prompted for where you want to be redirected after the action. :yes: 
  • Activity Streams can be created with condensed view as default. :unsure: 
  • An email is now sent when an account is locked for too many bad login attempts. :angry: 
  • When editing a member in the AdminCP, it will now show how much of their messenger storage quota is being used. :unsure: 

Exciting eh!? :rofl: 

• Like 3

I still miss blogs! There is so much I want to bitch about, but every time I create a thread to bitch about something, I then return a few weeks later to bitch about it some more then after a while the thread gets locked :D

6 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

Will that be turned on for sub members?

Nope, just because a feature is added doesn't mean we'll turn it on.

MVC's and subs will get it. Lock requests are already quite minimal and I don't want to give our moderators yet more work to do because people start locking their own topics for trivial reasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Nope, just because a feature is added doesn't mean we'll turn it on.

MVC's and subs will get it. Lock requests are already quite minimal and I don't want to give our moderators yet more work to do because people start locking their own topics for trivial reasons.

Yeah that what I mean (forgot to put the s on the end of sub). Thank you for turning it on though :) (not that I would use it that often).

55 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

4.1.19.1 is out.

hahahaha that's hilarious

on another note it looks like 4.2 is on the horizon as well so fun updates to come :)

• 1 month later...

Forums really are exciting! If you're the kind of person who gets a new app or program and jumps right into the settings and tweaks everything, find a free Invision Power Board host (I don't know if any still exist, I've been out of forum administration for over a decade) and jump in. Holy crap there are so many things to change. And there are a ton of mods you can add with some editing. There is an arcade you can get, with in-browser games, and if you have the high score, the game's icon shows up in your mini profile (what appears next to your posts in threads). That's just one of the many mods the community offers. Still, I see forum features now and I know more or less how they're implemented. Like I know one thing Neowin does, they customize the mini profile for each forum. Like how it doesn't say what OS/phone people use in some, but it does in others. That wasn't an option when I had one. And it's really cool. One thing I did though was, hide the post count. On the forum I came from, your post count was your ranking, and people would post crap just to boost it, to lord that over other users. So I had it to where you could see the post count if you looked at their profile, but it wouldn't show up next to their post. Just their username, avatar, and a couple things like location, and, if they opted to make it known, gender. (My board actually had a near 50/50 split, and though we all knew each other, it was nice to know up front if you were talking to a guy or a gal.)

So yeah, dress it up with the sarcasm for some of these guys, but I nerd out over forums behind the scenes. Not as much as I used to. I think I transferred ownership of and left my board in 2006. Great experience though. I recommend it for anyone who can get an audience of 25-250 people. I think we topped out at around 150, though. Much more than that and it gets harder to manage, even if people know each other. But it's fun. Well, it's educational, and that can go both ways...