Ex-Russian Lawmaker Who Turned on Putin Shot Dead in Kiev

On 3/24/2017 at 3:50 AM, Mirumir said:

I don't expect Bloomberg or their colleagues from the other organizations subservient to the Western Ministry of Truth to mention any details of the dead man's criminal past. All those bribes he had taken; shady deals he had made.

It's so much simpler and easier to exploit the anti-Putin narrative in which they've become so proficient.

Voronenkov himself is neither the first or last Russian criminal who managed to ran away abroad from the Russian investigation and claimed political asylum all while accusing the Russian authorities of corruption in the process. It's so convenient. And of course, the new hosts will gladly accept luggages of cash of dubious origin as bank deposits of their newcomers.

Chances are that his own criminal past haunted him.

The Russian government doesn't execute people. We are way past that point. It's been 21 years this year since the moratorium on capital punishment was established in Russia.

In the meantime, hundreds of extrajudicial killings have been performed by the U.S.

Mirumir - here's a bit of backstory on what is CURRENTLY known as the Federal Security Bureau; the KGB was known (by its employees) as the "Sword and Shield of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union".  Notice I did NOT say "sword and shield of the Soviet Union" - but on the single legal political PARTY of the Soviet Union; further, that is literally from the inside.  (The KGB - and the FSB since - HAVE had defectors - and not just to the United States; quite a few have made serious money disclosing what life as a KGB (or GRU - the military equivalent) officer was like - and I don't mean talking to the spooks - ours (meaning the US), or the UK - or any other spooks.  I mean as in writing easily-verifiable NONFICTION for average Joes and Janes.)

Now you are claiming that it's all about the crooks - while that may indeed BE true, let me REMIND you that there has ALWAYS been a love/hate relationship between the bandity and the first Soviet, and now Russian, government - and it indeed goes back to the Soviet Union - it actually drives the Interior Ministry somewhat buggy. (There are folks in the Interior Ministry that actually DO care about the law - and enforcing it equally - and of COURSE you don't want the uglier details about corruption in Russia getting out - it's REALLY bad PR if the characterization of the Russian government as a kleptocracy were actually provably TRUE to get out there.  As bad as the United States is, there IS worse - and the last thing ANY government wants to be is to be PROVABLY worse - especially when they have been bashing the United States as long as they have.)

2 hours ago, Mirumir said:

It's 22:45, I'm watching a talk show on the state-owned channel called RUSSIA 1 and Putin is being criticized right now on air.

If you don't believe me, you can check out the show's YouTube channel.

I assume you are familiar with the Russian language given the confidence with which you made your statement.

I was just making a comment. Is it to close for you?

11 minutes ago, NinjaGinger said:

Gotta be careful what you say about Russia/Putin.  Very sensitive subject ... 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ctebah said:

Absolutely.  It's always the sheep that don't learn from history.

Please tell me you see the irony in this sentence...

Indeed, the irony is strong in this thread.

I will add to the list of convenient deaths those who were killed trying to investigate the 1999 apartment bombings in Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Alexander_Litvinenko

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Politkovskaya

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bryan R. said:

That's a typical western fear-mongering piece of propaganda financed by the enemies of Russia and their accomplices, Khodorkovsky & Co., so called "non-systemic opposition."

At the same time, Litvinenko's father, now residing in Italy, believes Boris Berezovsky and Alexander Goldfarb were behind the murder

Don't worry, the U.S. still holds the world record on the number of journos killed in Iraq and elsewhere. The Ukraine takes the silver medal.

If you look at the number of journalists in custody, Turkey, a U.S. ally and a NATO member is the champion.

46 minutes ago, NinjaGinger said:

"Close to you" is a title of Carpenters song which I like.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

That's a typical western fear-mongering piece of propaganda financed by the enemies of Russia and their accomplices, Khodorkovsky & Co., so called "non-systemic opposition."

Right, how convenient.

Don't worry, the U.S. still holds the world record on the number of journos killed in Iraq and elsewhere. The Ukraine takes the silver medal.

That's some nice deflection. Surely you're not implying the US is killing journalists.

If you look at the number of journalists in custody, Turkey, a U.S. ally and a NATO member is the champion.

More deflection? Should we all shake our finger at Turkey too to make you feel better?

Also, custody =/= dead.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jazmac said:

Bunch of savages running Russia.

It's ok, it's not for you to worry about. As long as the westerners do not try to invade Russia in order to free poor Russians from our blood-thirsty dictators, we should be fine.

1 minute ago, Bryan R. said:

That's some nice deflection.

As if those links that you posted had anything in common with the topic at hand.

1 hour ago, PGHammer said:

Mirumir - here's a bit of backstory on what is CURRENTLY known as the Federal Security Bureau; the KGB was known (by its employees) as the "Sword and Shield of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union".  Notice I did NOT say "sword and shield of the Soviet Union" - but on the single legal political PARTY of the Soviet Union; further, that is literally from the inside.  (The KGB - and the FSB since - HAVE had defectors - and not just to the United States; quite a few have made serious money disclosing what life as a KGB (or GRU - the military equivalent) officer was like - and I don't mean talking to the spooks - ours (meaning the US), or the UK - or any other spooks.  I mean as in writing easily-verifiable NONFICTION for average Joes and Janes.)

Now you are claiming that it's all about the crooks - while that may indeed BE true, let me REMIND you that there has ALWAYS been a love/hate relationship between the bandity and the first Soviet, and now Russian, government - and it indeed goes back to the Soviet Union - it actually drives the Interior Ministry somewhat buggy. (There are folks in the Interior Ministry that actually DO care about the law - and enforcing it equally - and of COURSE you don't want the uglier details about corruption in Russia getting out - it's REALLY bad PR if the characterization of the Russian government as a kleptocracy were actually provably TRUE to get out there.  As bad as the United States is, there IS worse - and the last thing ANY government wants to be is to be PROVABLY worse - especially when they have been bashing the United States as long as they have.)

All of the KGB's archives were opened after the dissolution of the USSR. 

Then there was this one guy who managed to trick the CIA into believing he was a former spy. So they kept sending him paychecks in exchange for secret data, which turned out to be just fiction, works of his imagination. He made some good bucks out of the whole affair and lot's of lulz in the process.

17 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Ahh yes, more r/RussiaDenies.

I just can't believe how critical you are, and every time someone brings up a valid critique of Russia and/or Putin, your "whataboutism" comes into play. Putin could murder 1000's on live TV and some how you would say what about AmeriKKKa?!

• Like 3

On 24/03/2017 at 7:50 AM, Mirumir said:

Western Ministry of Truth

You do realise that every time you type this you look absolutely ridiculous?  Especially in the context of YOU ONCE POSTED THAT RUSSIA HAS NO PROPAGANDA MACHINE

(and subsequently deleted as you were called out on it)

• Like 4

Just now, Nefarious Trigger said:

You do realise that every time you type this you look absolutely ridiculous?  Especially in the context of YOU ONCE POSTED THAT RUSSIA HAS NO PROPAGANDA MACHINE

(and subsequently deleted as you were called out on it)

The thing is, I guarantee you he doesn't think that. I almost think he might be one of those russian shills who are paid to defend them at all costs and say the most asinine things.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

a valid critique of Russia and/or Putin

There's lot's of valid critique of Russia as the country isn't perfect.

Blaming all the ills on Putin is about as ridiculous as it can get.

3 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Especially in the context of YOU ONCE POSTED THAT RUSSIA HAS NO PROPAGANDA MACHINE

Oh, hi, another parrot.

2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

The thing is, I guarantee you he doesn't think that. I almost think he might be one of those russian shills who are paid to defend them at all costs and say the most asinine things.

Yep, going to be picking up my paycheck tomorrow. If you don't hear from me, you know what's happened.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Oh, hi, another parrot.

Yes if you say so - care to comment on your stance and subsequent retraction?

Are you genuinely surprised at getting called out on such utter nonsense?

• Like 3

Well, as much flak as the US is currently getting for the current President, I am very thankful that I'm not Russian. I am not sure how I would deal with having to live under an actual murderous dictatorship where you're not allowed to criticize the scumbag leader out of fear of death. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bryan R. said:

Nationwide protests bring thousands to Russia's streets

@ctebah Weren't we just talking about irony?

Yes, the irony is overwhelming.  Russia, like many other nations, requires demonstrations to be setup properly and unauthorized ones can be punishable by jail time.  And surprise, surprise, the guys that organized these got arrested....

Next time, do some research before posting.  Like I said, sheep are very easy to sway.

On 24.03.2017 at 8:43 PM, NinjaGinger said:

Its funny how all of Putins critics end up dead.

He wasn't of critics. He wasn't even minor politician. He was a major criminal (frauds, murders)  who managed to get into parliamentary lists of the Communist Party to get immunity. The day his mandate ended he rushed away from Russia to avoid prosecution. He might managed to avoid it, but as didn't manage to hide from his abused criminal partners.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mirumir said:

There's lot's of valid critique of Russia as the country isn't perfect.

Blaming all the ills on Putin is about as ridiculous as it can get.

Oh, hi, another parrot.

Yep, going to be picking up my paycheck tomorrow. If you don't hear from me, you know what's happened.

You just have to remember that western sheep need to be sold on the idea of an "enemy."  It comes from their governments handbooks and it's been done countless times in the last century.  Whether it's the Chinese, North Korean, North Vietnamese, Russian or Iranian, their government needs "enemies" in order for the military industrial complex to continue on.  And the ironic thing is the only conflict most of the people in the West have been in involved a keyboard.  

I feel so so sorry for the people unable to think for themselves.

This year is the year of "blame it on Putin."  Next year it will someone different and the cycle will continue.  

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, coth said:

He wasn't of critics. He wasn't even minor politician. He was a major criminal (frauds, murders)  who managed to get into parliamentary lists of the Communist Party to get immunity. The day his mandate ended he rushed away from Russia to avoid prosecution. He might managed to avoid it, but as didn't manage to hide from his abused criminal partners.

Yes but he died in suspicious circumstances so it must be Putins fault /s

7 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Well, as much flak as the US is currently getting for the current President, I am very thankful that I'm not Russian. I am not sure how I would deal with having to live under an actual murderous dictatorship where you're not allowed to criticize the scumbag leader out of fear of death. 

Good for you. Enjoy living in your police state. I enjoy living in mine.

7 hours ago, Bryan R. said:

Nationwide protests bring thousands to Russia's streets

@ctebah Weren't we just talking about irony?

The freedom of assembly is guaranteed by the Russian Constitution.

Article 31

Citizens of the Russian Federation shall have the right to assemble peacefully, without weapons, hold rallies, meetings and demonstrations, marches and pickets.

However, that doesn't mean that a bunch of people can block a major artery of a big city.

Russia is a large country. They could've chosen to stage their protest on an open field somewhere, invited the media. No one would've bothered them. But no, they thought that their right to protest was more important than other people's rights to go on with their daily lives, commuting to and from work, etc.

They had been warned that their protest was an unlawful one, but they still continued and got what they deserved. You may not like it, but Russia is a country with its own laws.

8 hours ago, coth said:

Not to mention that the Investigative Committee of Russia (the Russian FBI) asked for his parliamentary immunity to be revoked at least on a couple of occasions while he was an MP.

He could've been safe and sound doing a term in a Russian prison.

Instead he'd chosen to become a political prostitute and sold himself to the Ukraine, the only country where he could live without a fear of being extradited to Russia in exchange for his anti-Russian rhetoric and dirty money.

Since his wife is German, he could've immigrated there, but didn't. The risk of being extradited was too high and he couldn't have laundered his dirty cash there as easily (or at all) as he could've done so in the Ukraine.