"sucking" data from the net?

i was thinkin, is there a hardware or software that can simply "suck" data from the net really fast. even if your ISP is giving u lets say100k, u can "suck" data at 200k or something. is that possible?

You are using the wrong word, but it is possible. However, doing it will cause an immediate disconnection from your ISP and possibly legal action.

:rolleyes: You can not receive faster than data is sent. ex. - Having a 3 meg download speed does not mean you will get much data at that speed, simply because of the limits of the source computer connection. Slowest node, time of day, and Distance from the source are also factors.

You hack your cable/DSL modem and get it to give better bandwidth. I saw some instructions to do this on various P2P networks. However, your ISP controls bandwidth. If they notice a user suddenly getting a lot of upstream, they will disconnect you, so don't do it.

ooh... that's not sucking data. that's an urban legend.

your ISP monitors you by mac address usually... if you change your mac theres a good chance the ISP won't recognize you so they'll refuse service to the modem. and if they recognize two exact MACs, then you'll both be investigated.

cable modems cannot be "uncapped"... get over the idea.

:rolleyes: You can not receive faster than data is sent. ex. - Having a 3 meg download speed does not mean you will get much data at that speed, simply because of the limits of the source computer connection. Slowest node, time of day, and Distance from the source are also factors.

maybe theres a way so that once u start the DL the other side can hear the screamin electrons getin SUCKed from their computer. all of the bandwith ALL!!! :devil:

haha, it's always fun to see discussions like this. but this one is probably all the way up there. "suck" the data, hehe, that's an original.

imagine... "i sucked it till my modem couldn't take it anymore"

You hack your cable/DSL modem and get it to give better bandwidth.

you can't "hack your dsl modem" to get faster bandwidth simply becuase bandwidth is controled not on your end but at CO. CO sets maximum connection speed.

before it was possible to modify DOCSISv1 cable modems to uncap them, but not anymore. isp monitor bandwidth each user uses, isp cap maximum speed each user can achieve, isps disabled local modification of DOCSIS config files.

you can't "hack your dsl modem" to get faster bandwidth simply becuase bandwidth is controled not on your end but at CO. CO sets maximum connection speed.

before it was possible to modify DOCSISv1 cable modems to uncap them, but not anymore. isp monitor bandwidth each user uses, isp cap maximum speed each user can achieve, isps disabled local modification of DOCSIS config files.

I believe it is still possible with DOCSIS modems currently (or in many areas if im not mistaken) these modems' bandwidth is all controlled by a config file on the modem and by changing the settings contained it, higher bandwidth was obtainable. Since the the modem just gets the config file from a tftp you can setup your own and CAN modify your DOCSIS config file. It's still possible to "hack" your modem currently just much harder due to md5 protection but one can circumvent that by obtaining a legit config file that was made for a more expensive plan. The only problem is, its REALLY easy for the ISP to catch you and totally not worth the risk.

so.. it is possible just not worth the risk :whistle: