Network Storage WD My Cloud 2TB - Good solution?

Hi. 

wd-my-cloud-personal-cloud-product-dimen

I have in plan to get a new storage solution for my home-network (Linksys WRT 1900 AC Router) and saw this WD My Cloud 2TB . I saw also external drives from them which are connector with USB 3.0 ; my router has such port also..could be a better solution since I get 3TB at the same price? Any other suggestions is welcome!

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Almost identical to that... All you are buying is the "cloud" naming...

Almost identical? One connects via Ethernet/Network the other is USB. Pretty big difference...

1 hour ago, neufuse said:

yeah, skip this cheap NAS stuff, get Synology or get nothing....

every cheap WD or Seagate networked device I've ever touched was junk and slow

Any typically fails in 6-12 months, now they are using proprietary connectors on the drives also, so it's not a standard SATA inside.

5 hours ago, Cosmin said:

well.. it has an ethernet port (gigabit) also..the one that I've listed.

5 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Almost identical? One connects via Ethernet/Network the other is USB. Pretty big difference...

@Circaflex Does the word "almost" mean nothing to you? And second, you didn't have to say it twice, when the OP posted, I already realized that.

@Cosmin Not sure how much money you have to spend, but its pretty much whatever you want these days. There's normally a 1-2 (or more) year warranty that you can send a RMA if it goes bad.

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

@Circaflex Does the word "almost" mean nothing to you? And second, you didn't have to say it twice, when the OP posted, I already realized that.

@Cosmin Not sure how much money you have to spend, but its pretty much whatever you want these days. There's normally a 1-2 (or more) year warranty that you can send a RMA if it goes bad.

Not need to be upset. It's just that, interface type is a rather large difference. 

I should probably start a new topic but hey it is a valid option for the OP.

I personally don't understand the fascination with NAS devices. Being a typical Neowin geek, I always have too many perfectly functional old computers lying around.

So just fire one up, stuff lean and mean Windows 10 on it, shove some large spinning disks in it and plug it into your network switch. Presto more storage. I have 3 of these sitting on a shelf along with a 4th PC running ipfire as my main gigabit router.

Advantages are zero cost, and huge flexibility to swap disks around between units and they all run Windows 10 so they can easily do anything under the sun in the way of software, VMs etc.

So in a nice way please :) , I'd really like to know why any technically inclined person would want to deal with these little plastic boxy NAS units and all their limitations and actually pay money for the extra hassle?

Hi.

Just got it and I'm trying to setup..but I'm getting such error even it's visible in Windows 10 & by the router (linksys 1900ac). Any ideeas? 

Capture.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Cosmin

36 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Hi.

Just got it and I'm trying to setup..but I'm getting such error even it's visible in Windows 10 & by the router (linksys 1900ac). Any ideeas? 

Capture.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Technically you don't need any of the WD software. Login to your routers control panel, take note of the WD Cloud devices IP address. Use the browser and navigate to <WD CLOUD IP>/UI and go through the setup that route. The WD software is very flaky.  Also, make sure that you have file sharing and network discovery services enabled on your computer. It is possible for example that Windows has setup your network as a public network instead of as a private network.

Yes.. worked in the end by setting all from the browser. Any format is required on this device at the beginning (it's an hdd inside) ? Any other maintenance tips ?