What Kind of "Virus" Is This?

Question

I realize I made some boner decisions to get myself into this mess.

I usually use Edge and Malwarebytes and I've never had any problems with it and like it a lot. I started having problems with my computer becoming slow while i was playing a game on Facebook. I have been playing this same game for over a year with out problem. The symptoms were that the game started out fine but then got slower until it was unusable.

In a "blond moment" I turned off Malwarebytes and decided to turn on Windows Defender. Here is where it got interesting.

I got a screen that said that my Microsoft license had expired and there were a lot of other text but it said it in big bold letters, "Your computer will be locked". When I saw that I immediately thought I had had a Ransomware attack.  Then it started opening tab after tab with the same screen with the same text as the first screen. It also had an audio voice that said that my Microsoft license had expired, etc.  While the browser was open the only thing that worked was the cursor. I was going to do a CTR-Alt-Delete to go to the Task Manager but couldn't even do that.

I immediately powered down my computer. When I turned it back on. I had complete control again. As long as I didn't open the browser, I had control. I noticed that I had an old ESET installer on my drive so I installed it and did a full scan of my drive. It found nothing. I also did a rootkit scan with the Malwarebytes program. It found nothing.

It dawned on me that if there were no viruses on my hard drive, it must be coming from the outside. I then disconnected my internet connection and then I could open a browser without it taking over.

I reinstalled Malwarebytes immediately and now everything is pretty much back to normal. The only odd thing is that if I start Edge, it opens with all those tabs still showing at the top but within the pages say "Can't make connection".

I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of "virus" this might have been. I'm just curious because I've never had anything like this.

9 answers to this question

I was using Edge. No add-on or extensions, of course.

Now, when I start Edge it shows all those tabs at the top. All pages say it can't connect. I downloaded Firefox and that's what I'm using now. I'm a little afraid to use Edge until I get that straightened out.

EDIT: The only thing I haven't tried is to start Edge and see if I can create a new tab and see if that is able to connect. But it must have created 20 tabs before I stopped it before.

Sounds like it's just going to a site that's opening the tabs, i.e. it's changed your homepage and they're opening the tabs with javascript. Open edge when offline, what does it say your homepage is?

Your right. It's just one page that says that I'm not connected. All those tabs do not open.

Now I'm wondering how I can get Edge where it won't open all those tabs.

26 minutes ago, tompkin said:

Your right. It's just one page that says that I'm not connected. All those tabs do not open.

Now I'm wondering how I can get Edge where it won't open all those tabs.

just kill edge in the task manager... then if it's your default browser just do windows key + R then in the run box type www.google.com that will open Google as the primary tab. Then just click the X in the other bad tabs.

Sounds to me like one of sites or one of the games you use has a bad banner ad at the moment. So you may want to stay away from whichever site is currently popping that up for the next 24 hours. This is why I always block ads.

Hello,

Essentially, it's a form of ransomware, where you have to pay the fake Microsoft support scammer to recover from the hijack.

Exact remediation steps vary (there are quite a few of these floating around, and they can use different mechanisms for locking the system), but if you contact your anti-malware software company's technical support department they should be able to walk you through identifying which one it is and then removing it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky