TigerVPN?

19 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I wouldn't touch PIA with a ten foot pole. They are one shady company.

Why so?

What I don't get here is you all understand your just handing off trust to another company right.. So you trust PIA or whatever vpn company more than you trust your own ISP?  I really don't get the hype over everyone having vpn, and oh my F'ing gawd I have a dns leak ;)  The black helicopters are coming for me now..

Other than circumvention of geo location.  A home user really has zero use for a vpn..  Its not really a needed security option, unless your in some country where you isp is told to spy on you.. And if that is the case they must be a really stupid isp to not see your using a vpn..  So why do they not send the state police to your door?

These users get all hyped up I need a vpn, I need a vpn, my dns is leaking..  Without a clue to what any of it actually means or a basic understanding of what information they "leaking"

I would love to hear an explanation on why you think you need one, or why you think using google dns is less of a leak then using your isp?  etc..

I have a vps that can be vpn endpoints sure, and I vpn into my home all the time from work.. But I do this sort of stuff for a living ;)  So keeping up with doing this sort of thing is like what I get paid for..  And the only reason I run the vpn on my vps is to route traffic that way if I am testing something.. I don't actually use them on a day to day basis for my normal traffic, etc.  Now if I lived outside the US, and wanted to watch US netflix then sure I would most likely route my netflix traffic through a vpn..

But to be honest the vast majority of users have zero use for a vpn.. Other than their buddy down the street that they think is a computer geek because he told them he was has one..

• Like 3

Don't forget to check your Local Area Connection Properties -> IP and DNS settings once you log off of VPN.

Understood, @BudMan. I was just asking about it, not really considering it. Down the road, maybe. Depends how this government works out... I'm low on money right now, anyway.

10 hours ago, BudMan said:

What I don't get here is you all understand your just handing off trust to another company right.. So you trust PIA or whatever vpn company more than you trust your own ISP?  I really don't get the hype over everyone having vpn, and oh my F'ing gawd I have a dns leak ;)  The black helicopters are coming for me now..

Other than circumvention of geo location.  A home user really has zero use for a vpn..  Its not really a needed security option, unless your in some country where you isp is told to spy on you.. And if that is the case they must be a really stupid isp to not see your using a vpn..  So why do they not send the state police to your door?

These users get all hyped up I need a vpn, I need a vpn, my dns is leaking..  Without a clue to what any of it actually means or a basic understanding of what information they "leaking"

I would love to hear an explanation on why you think you need one, or why you think using google dns is less of a leak then using your isp?  etc..

I have a vps that can be vpn endpoints sure, and I vpn into my home all the time from work.. But I do this sort of stuff for a living ;)  So keeping up with doing this sort of thing is like what I get paid for..  And the only reason I run the vpn on my vps is to route traffic that way if I am testing something.. I don't actually use them on a day to day basis for my normal traffic, etc.  Now if I lived outside the US, and wanted to watch US netflix then sure I would most likely route my netflix traffic through a vpn..

But to be honest the vast majority of users have zero use for a vpn.. Other than their buddy down the street that they think is a computer geek because he told them he was has one..

Well to be honest I think geocircumvention is  reason #1 for VPNs and #2 is piracy, just no one will say that's the reason :hidemyass: :runsaway: :flamesuit: :laugh:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I subscribe to a VPN because I travel. I don't want to be exposed when I need to use 'public' wifi.  I'm not worried about my ISP now anymore than I was 7 months ago nor am I'm trying to hide or geolocate. I just don't want my laptop (or phone when on wifi) open to the world when I'm connect to a hotel or other public wifi. I'm sure I could set one up at home but that would require building out some device, setting up software etc and while that stuff isn't hard, there is an expense associated with the equipment and time to setup. configure and test. For me, I'd rather just subscribe. I use PIA and did get a multiyear discount plan but even without it, the cost works out that 6 years of VPN service costs me less than what it would cost me to setup a VPN running at home. For me, that's a no brainer.