• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Data recovery tool for Seagate

BnSeeker    0

Hello everybody, 
I would like to ask community sugestions about a data recovery tool I would like to buy for Seagate HDDs. Until now I used a Nokia TTL cable which helped me repair a decent number of Barracuda 7200.11 drives. However this cable can't offer any help on LP, ES.2 or DM003 series HDDs which I get very often for data recovery and obviously have some firmware issue. Tools like PC3000 are too expensive so I was about to give up on these cases but then I found a tool kit called DfS on Amazon 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recovery-software-CS-Labs-FileChecker/dp/B01FW23R9Q/

This set claims that can recover all Seagate drives with firmware issue and also do diagnostics while it costs less than 70£, about what I get paid for a single data recovery service (I am not pro but I have helped some people last years so their friends come to me often). 

I am asking if anyone has used these tools and if they are such bargain as it seems. Do they reply to questions? Is the software easy to use or is it Google translation like Salvation Data tools I once used? I am not worried about loosing 70£ but about causing permanent damage on a drive. 

Finally if anyone knows of a similar tool I would love to see a link 

Any sugestions welcome

BnSeeker    0

Two years after I asked this question I can tell that this tool totally does what it claims. I already recovered around 20 cases including Barracuda LP, ES.2 DM001 which were recognised with wrong size, with just a few clicks. Also in other cases I could confirm the head damage and how serious it was without having to open the drive. I would also like to thank Hum for the reply but his sugestion is just for software tools. 

+DevTech    1,446
On 1/2/2019 at 7:44 AM, BnSeeker said:

Two years after I asked this question I can tell that this tool totally does what it claims. I already recovered around 20 cases including Barracuda LP, ES.2 DM001 which were recognised with wrong size, with just a few clicks. Also in other cases I could confirm the head damage and how serious it was without having to open the drive. I would also like to thank Hum for the reply but his sugestion is just for software tools. 

Thanks for returning here with your results!

It illustrates both the wonderfulness of the internet community and the value of information contained in older forum posts (where I am too often being annoyed by arbitrary locking of old threads just because they are old).

Your original but wonderful post about low-level drive firmware tools was far too technical for most readers but would probably be of interest to @warwagonand @Tidosho

I get the impression that the latest generation of drives are far too integrated in design for these tools to be very useful. Is that correct?