Scorpio offical reveal incoming, along with 4K Forza, RDR2 and Battlefront.


Recommended Posts

LaP
On 2017-04-09 at 4:25 AM, George P said:

The play anywhere stuff is nice but some say it's hurting hardware sales because why get an xbox if you can play on the PC? 

This is probably the most stupid reason people bring to justify not having play anywhere for all games.

 

MS doesn't make money by selling xbox. They make money by selling games, online sub, music, movie, digital games, etc. The store is where the money is today.

 

MS doesn't gain anything from not having an universal store. It's actually hurting MS more than anything else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
George P
48 minutes ago, LaP said:

This is probably the most stupid reason people bring to justify not having play anywhere for all games.

 

MS doesn't make money by selling xbox. They make money by selling games, online sub, music, movie, digital games, etc. The store is where the money is today.

 

MS doesn't gain anything from not having an universal store. It's actually hurting MS more than anything else.

I agree with you, I like the idea of play anywhere, buy once have it on pc and console, cross-play and so on.  Just the idea of syncing your saves between console and PC is great IMO.    I'm all for it, the fact is that console players are going to play on console, and PC will play on PC, or like me, play on both whenever I feel like it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
+LostCat
On 5/12/2017 at 1:32 PM, Asmodai said:

The evolution of Xbox One - as told by the SDK leak

It covers A LOT more than just the renderer but for the purposes of this discussion pay attention to the original renderer vs. the "monolithic" one.  The mono one is the low level one but it didn't LAUNCH with that as I stated.  It's an interesting read all in all if you like that sort of thing though.

Thanks.  I'm sure I've read it before though not recently.

 

I'll look it over again but I'm not sure it matters to me anymore...the history is just useless info at this point, and I'm still mainly a PC gamer even if I do play on whatever platforms I feel like. 

 

As for Sony, they had the early win obviously but the PS4 Pro doesn't seem to be doing the platform justice.  I want one, but as I'm mostly doing 1440p these days...so many reasons not to care.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+Asmodai
10 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

I'll look it over again but I'm not sure it matters to me anymore...the history is just useless info at this point, and I'm still mainly a PC gamer even if I do play on whatever platforms I feel like. 

Again, if that's the case I don't know why you replied to and quoted my comment about the early days to start all this then but whatever.

10 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

As for Sony, they had the early win obviously but the PS4 Pro doesn't seem to be doing the platform justice.  I want one, but as I'm mostly doing 1440p these days...so many reasons not to care.

I personally think the PS4 Pro was a mistake.  Sony was already dominating console sales this generation and the gap is likely too large for MS to ever close.  There was no need for them to create new hardware with a significantly different performance profile.  It can't actually hit true 4k in most titles and doesn't support Ultra HD Blu-Ray for disc playback so it doesn't really hit the mark for replacement.  Microsoft launching more powerful hardware a year later in Project Scorpio just makes it that much worse as Project Scorpio CAN hit 4k and even the Xbox One S does support Ultra HD Blu-Ray.  In my opinion they should have just stuck with the PS4 Slim (possibly with Ultra HD Blu-Ray support like the Xbox One S) and left it at that.  Sony dominated at launch but I think MS has done much better with the follow up hardware (and software), unfortunately for MS the damage is done and again I suspect the sales gap is just too large to close for this generation.  They are positioning themselves well for next generation though and Project Scorpio does look amazing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+LostCat
6 hours ago, Asmodai said:

I personally think the PS4 Pro was a mistake.

I think it might be poor value for those who already have a PS4, but it could've been introduced better and brought even more gamers into the Sony ecosystem.  I still might get one for Persona 5 and whatnot but it seems like the Xbox One at launch, good hardware alongside an unready software ecosystem making for a poor overall experience.

 

I'll be shocked if Scorpio is flawless, but even more so if it felt rushed out the door like those two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+RNDM_STRNGR
7 hours ago, Asmodai said:

Again, if that's the case I don't know why you replied to and quoted my comment about the early days to start all this then but whatever.

I personally think the PS4 Pro was a mistake.  Sony was already dominating console sales this generation and the gap is likely too large for MS to ever close.  There was no need for them to create new hardware with a significantly different performance profile.  It can't actually hit true 4k in most titles and doesn't support Ultra HD Blu-Ray for disc playback so it doesn't really hit the mark for replacement.  Microsoft launching more powerful hardware a year later in Project Scorpio just makes it that much worse as Project Scorpio CAN hit 4k and even the Xbox One S does support Ultra HD Blu-Ray.  In my opinion they should have just stuck with the PS4 Slim (possibly with Ultra HD Blu-Ray support like the Xbox One S) and left it at that.  Sony dominated at launch but I think MS has done much better with the follow up hardware (and software), unfortunately for MS the damage is done and again I suspect the sales gap is just too large to close for this generation.  They are positioning themselves well for next generation though and Project Scorpio does look amazing.

I bought PS4 and I love it.  Playing some HDR titles and some 4k ones. Not much, but they look amazing.   I got xbox one almost at launch, and I returned it 3 weeks later.  Nothing to play for me. Most games that are good, I already have on PC (and prefer it) and the others (online multiplayer, or sports) I don't care about at all.   It was mostly a UHD blueray player for 3 weeks.  I already have a gaming PC and Xbox seemed pointless.

 

PS4 Pro exclusive games, I mostly love to play.  This is something I cannot get on PC.  And I love that I can play them now at high quality on my 4k hdr tv.      The Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4 are to die 4.    I am keeping PS4 and skipping Scorpio even if it can do better graphics.  My PC can probably match Scorpio, and can get all the same games.... what's the point then...

 

Play anywhere sounds great, but I already can connect my PC to my TV.   Why bother with Xbox? I personally see no reason at all.

 

Again, this is personal opinion, but I dont think PS4 Pro was a mistake at all. It is catering to the PS fans, who are not interested in Xbox.  I could have gotten PS4 from my friend for free, he does not play it anymore, but I got PS4 Pro instead to enjoy the graphical upgrades, even if they are not as great as Scorpio, but I am enjoying them NOW.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+LostCat
2 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

My PC can probably match Scorpio, and can get all the same games.... what's the point then...

One could ask how much you've spent on that PC (likely a hell of a lot more than Scorpio if it can match it) and point out there are still a lot of games (especially now with the backwards compatibility catalog, but still several without too) that aren't on PC.  And yes, MS is making it very easy to stick with PC if that's where you want to play games, so whatever works.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+RNDM_STRNGR
15 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

One could ask how much you've spent on that PC (likely a hell of a lot more than Scorpio if it can match it) and point out there are still a lot of games (especially now with the backwards compatibility catalog, but still several without too) that aren't on PC.  And yes, MS is making it very easy to stick with PC if that's where you want to play games, so whatever works.

 

Exactly my point. PS4 Pro caters to the different audience than Scorpio.  People with powerful gaming PCs are less likely to care for Scorpio, even if it is more powerful the PS4 Pro.    

Each has it's own market. But my point was that Sony did not need to match the power of Scorpio and do true 4k to be an attractive buy, like someone before implied.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+Asmodai
17 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

I bought PS4 and I love it.

Did you mean the PRO here?  I have a (launch) PS4 and love it as well, it also does HDR on my 4k TV since Sony added that to ALL PS4s via a software update.

17 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

  Playing some HDR titles and some 4k ones. Not much, but they look amazing.   I got xbox one almost at launch, and I returned it 3 weeks later.  Nothing to play for me. Most games that are good, I already have on PC (and prefer it) and the others (online multiplayer, or sports) I don't care about at all.   It was mostly a UHD blueray player for 3 weeks.  I already have a gaming PC and Xbox seemed pointless.

Project Scorpio is likely to be my first ever Xbox... I haven't been tempted to get one until now.  Project Scorpio is likely to have the best version of multiplatform console titles going forward (due to higher performing hardare) once it launches so I anticipate buying all future multiplatform titles for it.  Again though I still love my PS4 and I won't be getting rid of it, I have quite a library of games built up that I'm not going to just throw away and I'll need it for PlayStation exclusives going forward like the upcoming God of War even once Project Scorpio launches.  Also also anticipate my Project Scorpio will replace my PS4 as my go-to optical disc player (DVD, Blu-Ray, Ultra HD Blu-Ray).  I haven't bought a stand-alone optical disc player for a TV since DVDs were new, they've always been my consoles and I don't anticipate that changing.  I would have bought a second PS4 if they had one with a Ultra HD Blu-Ray drive.  We still redbox and exchange movie discs at the office and stuff so we haven't gone 100% streaming yet... and I don't see that happening any time soon (if at all).  We DO have Amazon Prime but I personally think Netflix it too expensive for the number of movies we watch and streaming has way too much compression when compared to discs.  Just my opinion but I'd rather watch a Blu-Ray optical disc with it's lower compression than a 4k Netflix version of a movie with it's heavy compression.

 

17 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

 

PS4 Pro exclusive games, I mostly love to play.

I'm not sure what you mean here... there are no PS4 Pro exclusive games.  Every PS4 Pro game you can play on the launch PS4 (again, which also supports HDR if the game supports it)

17 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

  This is something I cannot get on PC.  And I love that I can play them now at high quality on my 4k hdr tv.      The Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4 are to die 4.    I am keeping PS4 and skipping Scorpio even if it can do better graphics.  My PC can probably match Scorpio, and can get all the same games.... what's the point then...

 

Play anywhere sounds great, but I already can connect my PC to my TV.   Why bother with Xbox? I personally see no reason at all.

I have a (launch PS4) and a gaming PC but I'm still most likely getting Project Scorpio.  I think Play Anywhere is awesome, best thing MS has done in a while IMHO.  Technically I can connect my PC to my TV as well but I have ZERO interest in doing so.  The vast majority of people have no interest in hooking a full PC to their TV, it's just something a fringe group of people do.  It also has nothing to do with tech-savvy or anything.  I'm a programmer by profession and I build my own PCs but I STILL have ZERO interest in hooking a full PC to a living room TV even though I know how to do it, it's just not something I even WANT to do.   For me at least games on the TV should have UIs playable from a couch 10' away from the screen and typically controlled by a gamepad.  Games for a PC you sit right in front of the screen and typically control the game with a mouse and keyboard.  They have radically different UIs because of that and while they CAN work on both they're not very good on the one they weren't designed for.  For example the Skyrim UI was made for a console and absolutely sucks IMHO on PC using mouse and keyboard.  I have no desire to play Skyrim on PC with a gamepad, I want the mouse and keyboard experience, but the UI is terrible for that.  Fortunately it supports mod and there is the excellent SkyUI that replaces the console-centric UI with a nice mouse/keyboard centric UI (though it still supports gamepads as well).  That's just one example.

 

I also think it's cool that I could play a game on my Project Scorpio in the living room and then if my gf wants to watch the 4k living room TV I could go upstairs to the "office" and load up the same game (that I didn't have to buy twice) on my Win10 gaming PC and continue right where I left off (same save file) up there.

 

17 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

Again, this is personal opinion, but I dont think PS4 Pro was a mistake at all. It is catering to the PS fans, who are not interested in Xbox.  I could have gotten PS4 from my friend for free, he does not play it anymore, but I got PS4 Pro instead to enjoy the graphical upgrades, even if they are not as great as Scorpio, but I am enjoying them NOW.

PS fans who are not interested in Xbox were already buying the PS4, so who's it catering to?  Sony didn't know about Project Scorpio when they designed and launched the PS4 Pro so it wasn't in response to that.  Sony already had superior hardware, even the launch PS4 still has a better GPU, faster memory, etc. than the newer Xbox One S.  No console fans "who are not interested in Xbox" was going to go out and buy an Xbox instead of a PS4 Slim had PS4 Pro NOT launched.  Sony split their community into two different performance levels for the first time in Sony console history for no good reason IMHO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
+RNDM_STRNGR
6 hours ago, Asmodai said:

PS fans who are not interested in Xbox were already buying the PS4, so who's it catering to?  Sony didn't know about Project Scorpio when they designed and launched the PS4 Pro so it wasn't in response to that.  Sony already had superior hardware, even the launch PS4 still has a better GPU, faster memory, etc. than the newer Xbox One S.  No console fans "who are not interested in Xbox" was going to go out and buy an Xbox instead of a PS4 Slim had PS4 Pro NOT launched.  Sony split their community into two different performance levels for the first time in Sony console history for no good reason IMHO.

It's catering to people like me who like PS4 exclusives (obviously I meant PS4 games, there are no Pro exclusives...)  yet want to enjoy them at higher res.   I had PS3, but I did not buy PS4 until pro

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
+LostCat

Well I just bought a Pro with the Destiny collection and Persona 5.  I can't say I really need it, but a lot of my friends are in the Sony camp and I'm about to get a new job I think.

 

Frankly, I've spent a lot of money on my PC but I'd have to practically spend as much as a new console on the video card alone to come close to Scorpio.  (And probably will, since I'm too far into the high end camp for my own good.)

 

At some point I'm just going to have to admit I'm far past 'good enough.'  Heh.

 

(ooh, Injustice 2 as well.  That's enough for now.)

Edited by dwLostCat
Link to post
Share on other sites
+Asmodai
16 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

It's catering to people like me who like PS4 exclusives (obviously I meant PS4 games, there are no Pro exclusives...)  yet want to enjoy them at higher res.   I had PS3, but I did not buy PS4 until pro

My point is that if the PS4 Pro didn't exist at all... then you would have likely just bought the PS4 Slim.  The PS4 Slim is already superior gaming hardware (GPU, memory, etc.) to any Xbox One currently available.  You'd still be playing them at a "higher res" than the competing console, you'd still be using HDR on your 4k TV since that was a software update even on the launch PS4.  The only thing you'd lose is a resolution bump that can't even really make it to true 4k.  Are you seriously telling me that if Sony never launched the PS4 Pro you would have either bought an Xbox One or just skipped this generation entirely?  I find that hard to believe.  Sony was likely going to get your money for their PS4 exclusives as you state no matter if they released the Pro or not.  As such there was no need to create two performance profiles in one console generation for the first time in PlayStation history.  It makes more sense for MS where the gap between the launch Xbox One and Project Scorpio is FAR larger than the performance gap between the PS4 and the PS4 Pro AND Project Scorpio allows MS to go from the lowest performance hardware to the highest.  The PS4 Pro has Sony go from the already top performing hardware to a slightly faster but still can't hit true 4k regularly if you exclude Project Scorpio (which they didn't know about) or if you include Project Scorpio then it's goes from second to a faster second behind Project Scorpio... what's the point in that?

 

I'd just like to add that I'm not criticizing the purchase of a Pro.  If I didn't already have a PS4 and was looking to buy one after the Pro launched I'd probably seriously consider it myself.  My point is that I think it was a mistake for Sony to create it, not for people to buy it once it was created.  I think it was a mistake to create two different performance levels in a single console generation.  But as long as there ARE two different performance levels I absolutely do not fault people for buying the higher one.  I'm not going to run out and replace my launch PS4 with a Pro but again if I didn't already have one and was looking I'd probably get one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
George P

This idea that you don't have to buy a Xbox if you game on the PC is weird to me, I have a brand new gaming PC, but I also play on my Xbox One, and I'll probably get a scorpio as well.  Why should I only play on one or the other?   Sometimes I'm fine with playing on my 24" monitor and sometimes I just wanna sit back and play on my new 55" 4k hdr TV.   The fact I can also buy one game and play it on both systems without having to pay extra, and also sync my stuff between the two systems, is great.

 

I mean heck, a good number of PS4 console exclusives are ending up on the PC, even if they never end up on the Xbox, so by the same logic, why do I need a PS4?   I can play Nier on the PC just as well if I felt like it.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
+LostCat
1 hour ago, George P said:

I mean heck, a good number of PS4 console exclusives are ending up on the PC, even if they never end up on the Xbox, so by the same logic, why do I need a PS4?   I can play Nier on the PC just as well if I felt like it.   

Yeah that was a good chunk of why I never bothered with a PS4, so much stuff was showing up on PC already.

 

A lot of newer releases seem to be ignoring PC (FF15, Injustice 2, Akiba's Beat, Horizon, etc...) some of which is unexpected given their predecessors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeChipshop
14 hours ago, George P said:

This idea that you don't have to buy a Xbox if you game on the PC is weird to me, I have a brand new gaming PC, but I also play on my Xbox One, and I'll probably get a scorpio as well.  Why should I only play on one or the other?   Sometimes I'm fine with playing on my 24" monitor and sometimes I just wanna sit back and play on my new 55" 4k hdr TV.   The fact I can also buy one game and play it on both systems without having to pay extra, and also sync my stuff between the two systems, is great.

 

I mean heck, a good number of PS4 console exclusives are ending up on the PC, even if they never end up on the Xbox, so by the same logic, why do I need a PS4?   I can play Nier on the PC just as well if I felt like it.   

 

Exactly my thoughts. Play anywhere has been a huge bonus for me. I can play on the big TV in the living room until it's needed by someone else, and then swap out to the office PC and carry on. I'd hate to limit myself to one machine, one room, one display.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo
14 hours ago, George P said:

This idea that you don't have to buy a Xbox if you game on the PC is weird to me,

 

4 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

Exactly my thoughts. Play anywhere has been a huge bonus for me. I can play on the big TV in the living room until it's needed by someone else, and then swap out to the office PC and carry on. I'd hate to limit myself to one machine, one room, one display.

Not everyone has the money, space or need for two devices that play games. It's a luxury. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeChipshop
5 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

 

Not everyone has the money, space or need for two devices that play games. It's a luxury. 

That is why i said "For me". I'm fully aware not everyone can and to be honest my powerful PC is actually my business machine not a separate gaming machine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo
4 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

That is why i said "For me". I'm fully aware not everyone can and to be honest my powerful PC is actually my business machine not a separate gaming machine.

The most I can play on my work machine is Candy Crush :p One of the perks of being self employed ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
George P
2 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

 

Not everyone has the money, space or need for two devices that play games. It's a luxury. 

If money is the issue, or limiting factor, then you're going to be playing on the console, not the PC, I don't care what most PC master race fans think, PC gaming will always cost you more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo
8 minutes ago, George P said:

If money is the issue, or limiting factor, then you're going to be playing on the console, not the PC, I don't care what most PC master race fans think, PC gaming will always cost you more.

Yep it'll definitely cost more, but my gaming PC can do more than play games. MikeChipshop uses his for his web dev stuff too. 

 

Anyway, we're moving off topic, we should turn this into the official Scorpio thread. Less than a month until the reveal!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
+LostCat
37 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Anyway, we're moving off topic

Well, yes and no.  Play Anywhere is part of the Scorpio offering too if say someone is a multiplatform gamer but their comp is falling behind a bit.  I certainly would've been better off if I'd waited for it, but who knows how long past launch til you can get one if you don't want to deal with the preorder madness.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo
22 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

Well, yes and no.  Play Anywhere is part of the Scorpio offering too if say someone is a multiplatform gamer but their comp is falling behind a bit.  I certainly would've been better off if I'd waited for it, but who knows how long past launch til you can get one if you don't want to deal with the preorder madness.

 

I bought an Xbox One at launch and was a little stung with the dropping of Kinect, the price changes 12 months after launch and the fact that I had to send mine back because it had an issue with the disc drive.

 

I'll need to massively resist the temptation not to pre-order. I still love my Xbox. :p

Link to post
Share on other sites
George P
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, dipsylalapo said:

I bought an Xbox One at launch and was a little stung with the dropping of Kinect, the price changes 12 months after launch and the fact that I had to send mine back because it had an issue with the disc drive.

 

I'll need to massively resist the temptation not to pre-order. I still love my Xbox. :p

I won't pre-order, but I'll buy it at some point.  Maybe a month or two after it's out, I expect November unless they surprise us and release it sooner, would be a big splash if true and they say at E3 something like, "coming in September!".

Link to post
Share on other sites
+Asmodai
40 minutes ago, George P said:

I won't pre-order, but I'll buy it at some point.  Maybe a month or two after it's out, I expect November unless they surprise us and release it sooner, would be a big splash if true and they say at E3 something like, "coming in September!".

Barring some extremely unlikely and unexpected hardware announcement at E3 from Sony I'll be picking up a Project Scorpio as soon as I see one on a shelf.  I won't pre-order one or stand in line for it but if I see one available I'll grab it.  It will be my first Xbox and my first Ultra HD Blu-Ray player.  That could be right at launch or months later who knows how the supply situation is going to work out.

 

On a side note the same thing is true for the Nitendo Switch.  Unless Sony announces some sort if Vita successor at E3 (HIGHLY unlikley) I'll probably pick up a Nintendo Switch the first time (after E3) I see one on an actual store shelf. (which will make it my first ever Nintendo portable)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Vandalsquad
11 hours ago, Asmodai said:

Barring some extremely unlikely and unexpected hardware announcement at E3 from Sony I'll be picking up a Project Scorpio as soon as I see one on a shelf.  I won't pre-order one or stand in line for it but if I see one available I'll grab it.  It will be my first Xbox and my first Ultra HD Blu-Ray player.  That could be right at launch or months later who knows how the supply situation is going to work out.

 

On a side note the same thing is true for the Nitendo Switch.  Unless Sony announces some sort if Vita successor at E3 (HIGHLY unlikley) I'll probably pick up a Nintendo Switch the first time (after E3) I see one on an actual store shelf. (which will make it my first ever Nintendo portable)

Will be preordering one I dare say for myself.. Xbox's in Australia always sell well. Wouldn't be surprised if they actually sell more than Playstation, I know we're a small market but a massively xbox one some of the reasoning behind FH3 I think.

 

If you want a switch let me know, they're region free aren't they? Have been sitting on the shelves in Australia collecting dust since launch. Nintendo has never been big here, but no one wants to touch something that costs more than a xbox or playstation by $100 and includes 4 less games the others come with.

 

As for all the play anywhere talk, I told myself I wouldn't build another beast of a PC ever again but with a few friends getting into battlegrounds and king of the hill I find myself making a part list already. My current rig would run these quite easily, but any excuse I guess :laugh:. I buy all my games physical but play anywhere would start looking more appealing for games like Forza...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Rich Woods
      Microsoft earnings: $37.2B revenue with big Surface and gaming growth
      by Rich Woods

      Today, Microsoft announced its earnings for the first quarter of its 2021 fiscal year. Overall revenue grew by 12% (12% in constant currency) over the same quarter last year for a total of $37.2 billion. That's broken up into Productivity and Business Processes with $12.3B revenue and 11% (11% CC) growth), Intelligent Cloud with $13B revenue and 20% (19% CC) growth, and More Personal Computing with $11.8B revenue and 6% (6% CC) growth.

      In the Productivity and Business Processes department, it was led by 9% increase in Office Commercial products and cloud services, including 21% (20% CC) growth in Office 365 Commercial. The other piece of products and cloud services, the products, declined 30% as more businesses move to the cloud.

      For consumers, Office products and cloud services revenue grew by 13%, and Microsoft 365 Consumer subscribers are now at 45.3 million, a 27% increase. LinkedIn revenue grew by 16%, and sessions grew by 31%. For Dynamics, products and cloud services revenue grew by 19% (18% CC), driven by Dynamics 365 revenue, which grew by 38% (37% CC).

      As usual, Azure drove the growth in the Intelligent Cloud section. All Server products and cloud services grew by 22% (21% CC), and that includes a 48% (47% CC) growth in Azure. Server products actually declined 1%.

      For More Personal Computing, Windows OEM revenue actually declined by 5%, but that actually includes 31% growth in non-Pro revenue, so there was also a 22% decline in Pro revenue. Windows Commercial products and cloud services grew 13% (12% CC).

      Surface revenue saw a big boost, with a 37% (36% CC) increase. For this and the increase in Windows non-Pro revenue, Microsoft attributes increased PC demand. Gaming revenue increased by 22% (21% CC), inclusing a 30% increase in Xbox content and services. Finally, search advertising revenue, excluding traffic acquisition costs, was down 10% (11% CC).

    • By Abhay V
      Xbox Live issue preventing Xbox One and Windows 10 users from launching their games [Update]
      by Abhay Venkatesh



      If you were looking to play some games today, heading into the weekend, and fired up a game on your Xbox One or Windows 10 PC only to find that you are unable to access it, you’re not alone. Xbox Support just acknowledged on Twitter that it is aware of an issue with users being unable to access games due to some issues with Xbox Live. The company is actively investigating the issue.

      Depending on some users’ reports on Twitter, it looks like trying to launch games returns a "The person who bought this needs to sign in" message, which likely is due to some authentication issues with Xbox Live. The status page for the service notes that there are issues with ‘Purchase and Content Usage’ that affects launching games or apps. The problem is affecting Xbox One and Windows 10 devices. There is no word on a possible ETA for the restoration of the service.

      Those interested can keep an eye on Twitter or the Xbox Live Status page for updates for more information. Additionally, you can also choose to request for a notification by signing in on the status page and having the site send an Xbox Live notification or text message.

      Update 1: The support account has posted an update on Twitter noting that users should now be able to access their games. However, the status page still notes problems with buying "downloadable" items and launching games.

      Update 2: The Xbox Live Status page has also been updated to reflect that all the issues have been fixed.

    • By anmol112
      Microsoft's Xbox app gets updated with support for remote play on Android and iOS
      by Anmol Mehrotra



      Microsoft has released a new update for its Xbox app for Android and iOS users. The latest update brings support for remote play as well as the new UI that made a debut on Xbox consoles with the October 2020 update last week.

      In case you don't know, remote play allows users to stream gameplay from their Xbox console to smartphones via WiFi. The feature is a bit different from Microsoft xCloud as it requires the user to physically own a console and stream the gameplay. In contrast, Microsoft xCloud allows users to play games without owning an Xbox game console.

      Here is the full changelog for the update:

      The changelog for the update is the same for both Android and iOS. On Android, the app has been updated to version 2009.1016.2010 and is available for download from the Google Play Store. Meanwhile, on iOS, the app has been updated to version 2009.1009.1918 and is available for download from the App Store.

    • By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft: We can recoup $7.5bn Bethesda purchase without putting games on PlayStation
      by Usama Jawad

      Microsoft made quite some waves in the gaming industry last month when it announced that it is acquiring ZeniMax Media for a staggering $7.5 billion. ZeniMax Media owns several high profile game development studios Bethesda Softworks, Bethesda Game Studios, id Software, ZeniMax Online Studios, Arkane, MachineGames, Tango Gameworks, Alpha Dog, and Roundhouse Studios. The purchase meant that all these studios are coming under the Redmond tech giant's first-party umbrella, which led to questions about whether future games from them would also be launching on PlayStation platforms.

      While Microsoft's Phil Spencer stated that existing commitments such as Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo's timed PlayStation 5 exclusivity will be honored, he stated that for other games, the company will decide "on a case by case basis". Now, the executive has shed some more light on this matter.

      In an interview with Kotaku, Spencer clearly stated that Microsoft does not need to release Bethesda's upcoming The Elder Scrolls VI on PlayStation platforms to recoup its $7.5 billion purchase. The executive then went on to say that:

      While Spencer's wording is vague enough to not be considered as a flat-out refusal of bringing upcoming ZeniMax games to PlayStation, it does indicate that Microsoft is under no such pressure. Clearly, with its success with Game Pass and xCloud, the company has a huge market of players to tap into.

      All in all, it won't be surprising if Microsoft decides not to release future ZeniMax Media games on PlayStation platforms. It might even be able to attract more gamers to its cloud streaming solutions if buying an Xbox console is out of the question for hardcore Sony fans. You can check out Spencer's interview in its entirety by hitting the source link below.

      Source: Kotaku

    • By indospot
      Microsoft launches a Bing app for Xbox
      by João Carrasqueira

      Microsoft has announced a new Bing app for Xbox consoles, which is meant to make the company's search engine more readily accessible on its family of gaming hardware. In terms of basic features, it's pretty much what you'd expect from a Bing app, with web and image searches, so you can get help with a game without using your phone or PC, for example.

      It does have some more interesting features, though. Microsoft says the Bing app can help users discover recommended and tending games, along with videos and news about games. The app also uses data about the games you and your friends play to deliver its recommendations and search results. Plus, if you search for images, you can easily set search results as your Xbox wallpaper, which makes customization a bit easier.



      The Bing app for Xbox also integrates with the Microsoft Rewards program, so you get points for performing searches. But Microsoft also added some new ways to reward users with more points, like quizzes and polls. Finally, the app also supports voice search, which is probably easier than navigating an on-screen keyboard with a controller.



      The app is available to download now, and you can install remotely on your console using this link. It's currently only available in the United States, but it should make its way to more markets soon.