What was your first post on neowin and how have you evolved ?

Inspiration taken from "How did you find neowin"

as title states it!

mine:

On 22/8/2004 at 0:45 AM, Draconian Guppy said:

I got this puter from my mom, she just gave it to me cuz in her office they upgraded, its an old athlon xp 2000+ but it only has 256 ddr And I have no idea what speed the ddr is I think its 133mhz(kingston), I don't actually know what I need to be able to put a 512 stick 333mhz, basically the mobo has to support it right? I think somewhere I read it depends on your cpu's core ? ( sorry n00b here). the mobo is a MSI km226-8235, and it has a gforce2 mmx 32mb :no:

I just want to upgrade and place it as a server at my place, but I would like to add a bit of ram and an geforce fx 5200, but I just have no clue on what speed to buy the ram or just go with what will work with the darn thing because I would probably install sp2 and 256 seems to me like will just not be enough...

Oh boy, was I a noob! techwise that is, in hindsight, that brought me to neowin!

I now consider myself slightly better using google, so I wouldn't post the above question! :laugh: 

From what I can find, this was the bosses first post:

Though there was a database loss IIRC?

On 9/7/2001 at 6:04 PM, Steven P. said:

Find devldr32.exe in driver.cab (by double clicking it) and replace the one from the sblive! Liveware package with the "XP version" :) then, go to safemode, be sure that devldr32.exe isnt running in the background (task manager) then install Liveware.

bit of a hefty process but it has been shown to work :D

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, techbeck said:

How do you even check your first post?

I figured it out....screenshot of my first post according to my post history in my profile.

test.PNG

Go to your profile, see activity, select posts, then scroll all the way too the last.   

lol @ "no the processor fan" :rofl:

• Like 4

Lol that is epic :p afaik we switched to IPB (or vBulletin) in July 2001, before that we were using some cgi-based board (no data import for forums).

• Like 2

Given that I was about 14 when I joined, I'd like to think I've evolved in communicating my thoughts.

However, I don't think that the oldest post under the posts activity is my first post. I joined at the end of June 2004, and the oldest post being displayed is December 2004. Oh well, no biggie.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Given that I was about 14 when I joined, I'd like to think I've evolved in communicating my thoughts.

However, I don't think that the oldest post under the posts activity is my first post. I joined at the end of June 2004, and the oldest post being displayed is December 2004. Oh well, no biggie.

Oh my! You joined neowin illegally!  Did you have your parents approval ! :p

11 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Lol that is epic :p afaik we switched to IPB (or vBulletin) in July 2001, before that we were using some cgi-based board (no data import for forums).

But there were some posts lost in database migrations no or am I making that up ? :laugh: 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Oh my! You joined neowin illegally!  Did you have your parents approval ! :p

I can't find the information now because the age verification is part of an automated system, but I'm pretty sure the rule was that consent was needed if you were under 13.

• Like 2

When I saw this thread, I thought...I've not been a member for that long and not made that much contribution during that time, but it's made me realise that it's actually been a lot longer than I thought.

The first thing I did when I joined was create a thread in the introduction forum:

Then an actual contribution to a thread:

• Like 2

Apparently it was a question in December 2003 ... though I joined in January of that year ... hmmm.  Guess I was a long time lurker? 

How have I evolved?  Dunno ... not much different between 27 and 40 ... except a little less hair on top.

• Like 3

My first question was about Windows 2000. Then it was soon thereafter that I dove into Linux with Red Hat 7. I joined staff as a Fmod to help in the Linux subforum. Moved up the chain and hear I am!

This is the oldest post that I could find from March 2004:

This happened to me on a couple of my builds.......... besides making sure that you put your CD-ROM as your first boot device, you need to go back and make sure that your hardware is all in place properly. Make sure everything is seated properly and all cables are on and connected properly. Make sure all PCI cards are seated properly.

Sometimes a hard drive or memory module is bad. Look through all of this. If you can get to reformat the hard drive, I would also do a format/ mbr. Additionally, check the MS link above for other ideas...

Barney

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Apparently it was a question in December 2003 ... though I joined in January of that year ... hmmm.  Guess I was a long time lurker? 

How have I evolved?  Dunno ... not much different between 27 and 40 ... except a little less hair on top.

You know you've been here a while when you post about Office XP. :laugh: Anyhow, I wish I could find my first post. However, I actually joined in 2002 with an old Yahoo email I had since 1996. I forgot my password, and username back in 2012, and by that time,  I had moved away from Yahoo, to Live. I was never able to bring up my old account, so I created a new one. :cry:

• Like 3

I'm looking for a fan controller. having 2 x 128mm, 1 x 60mm, CPU fan, and PSU fan, it gets pretty loud in my CM Stacker.

Also, when put on standby, my fans don't turn off.. It used to on my Asus M2N-Sli Deluxe, but it recently died, now I'm on a MSI K9N Platinum.

Anyway, I need a fan controller. I'm in the USA, so Newegg and Tigerdirect are fine. Also, my budget is ~$30 (I have $37 in my paypal)

I've looked at Vantec, Aerocool, and Zalman. I'm still not sure...

I don't need extra gadgets, like usb, firewire.. I have a 6-port usb, firewire port, and front video on my CM Stacker..

Suggestions, please..

From Jan 2007, That old....

• Like 2

Neowin was my first dive into having an opinion and expressing it openly. I loved the format. Don't recall my first post but In this time my opinions have changed BECAUSE of neowin and all the arguments (both good and bad).

Was: Anti-carry

Now: Anti-carry (with exceptions)

Was: Anti-gun

Now: Anti-gun (with exceptions)

Was: Globalist

Now: Nationalist

Was: Liberal

Now: Liberal (which really is the new centrist)

Was: Not racist

Now: Totally racist (just kidding, just seems its what you automatically are if you are a white male)

Just now, Rippleman said:

Neowin was my first dive into having an opinion and expressing it openly. I loved the format. In this time my opinions have changed BECAUSE of neowin and all the arguments (both good and bad).

Was: Anti-carry

Now: Anti-carry (with exceptions)

Was: Anti-gun

Now: Anti-gun (with exceptions)

Was: Globalist

Now: Nationalist

Was: Liberal

Now: Liberal (which really is the new centrist)

Was: Not racist

Now: Totally racist (just kidding, just seems its what you automatically are if you are a white male)

Eg for the world? now "for the country! ?" ? eg for mother russia!?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Eg for the world? now "for the country! ?" ? eg for mother russia!?

good point, I would say not so much to a country, but rather a collection of same culture. Example: Canada + USA + mexico or Western Europe.

• Like 1

First helpful post:

Graphics Card slot upgrades?

in Hardware Hangout

Posted January 25, 2007

Almost all premades are non-stanard boards. You should be looking at a light C2D or AM2 board, so you can always upgrade if need be.

• Like 2

My first post was a thread in the Introduction section

On 4/15/2010 at 11:38 AM, Brandon H said:

Yo, I'm Brandon, I'm coming over from TheHotFix, because they've pretty much died, and heard great things about Neowin

I hope to enjoy my stay here :D

I was a senior in highschool at the time so I'd say i've grown a lot as a person both IRL and in this great community :)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

ah cool so you joined to help someone!

Yeah, I would like to say that I signed up to contribute to the tech support sections but most of my activity ends up being posts in political sections these days.

Actually I think the general populace has become much more tech literate over the years. Basically there are more people able to help with small issues these days.

• Like 2

Just now, Draconian Guppy said:

and first non-helpful ? :laugh:

If you want to take it that way, sure.... :p

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

If you want to take it that way, sure.... :p

No no! I meant if that was your first helpful post, what was your first non helpful post.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

No no! I meant if that was your first helpful post, what was your first non helpful post.

:p Well, there's this post that doesn't make sense these days, but did back in 2007....

Posted January 27, 2007

are you within the US borders?

do you know how to build? if so, we can save you some money and a few headaches.

I thought their XPS systems were rather superb...

C2D is great

you'd never need 4gb of ram, unless games require that much in the future...

you don't necisarily need sli, unless you are on 4 screens... a 7600gt/gs will surfice, or if you have max money, get the 8800

• Like 2