Licensing an old game IP

Question

Not even sure where to post this so mods please feel free to move where more appropriate.

I have an idea to rerelease a game based on an old IP that as far as I can tell is owned by Activision.  Would anyone have any suggestions how I could find out about getting licensing rights to it?  I've already left a message with their legal department as instructed by their main office.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

1 answer to this question

Hello,

You can always try to locate someone in their legal department via LinkedIn, or contact the employee listed on a press release.

It would probably be best if you develop your concept independently of them, making something that is "loosely in the spirit" of whatever you're interested, but using entirely different background story, graphics, names for things, etc.  In other words, if the original game takes place in the future, make your take place in the past, use magic instead of science, collect "technology devices" instead of "gems," etc.    Then go to places where fans of the original IP franchise congregate, and share your work, explaining that you made something "in the style of" whatever it is, but different so as to be respectful of Activision's rights.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky