Which defragmentation software do you use? (2017)

Which defragmentation software do you use? (2017)  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which defragmentation software do you use? (2017)

• Disk Defragmenter (Microsoft)
    • AVG Drive Defrag (AVG Technologies)
    • Auslogics Disk Defrag (Auslogics Software Pty. Ltd.)
    • Diskeeper (Condusiv Technologies)
    • Norton SpeedDisk (Symantec)
    • System Mechanic (iolo technologies LLC)
    • O&O Defrag (O&O Software)
    • PerfectDisk (Raxco Software)
    • UltimateDefrag (Disktrix)
    • Contig (Windows Sysinternals)
    • Defraggler (Piriform)
    • DiskTune (DIY DataRecovery)
    • PageDefrag (Windows Sysinternals)
    • SmartDefrag (IObit)
    • UltraDefrag
    • MyDefrag/JkDefrag (Jeroen Kessels)
    • Other

Question

Ages ago I used to use Norton Speed Disk, then moved on to Defraggler, but these days just rely on the auto maintenance of Microsoft's disk defrag.

Defrag ?  Defrag ?

Well, on my 486-66 beast with 32MB of EDO RAM I hop on Lycos, with my Netscape browser and see which is the best.

If Im not convinced, I will head over to the ol newsgroups @ alt.binaries.windows.defragging.wares and download something cool using my FreeAgent32 newsreeder.

I wonder what kind of computers people will be using 10 years from now... I bet computers in 1998 will be so fast.

Anything which can run a TRIM suffices these days ;-) I wish... I do have Windows defrag scheduled on my HDD RAID , but IMO no need to bother with extra software - "more is less" [as in less software to install, maintain, update for questionable added value].

If I have to defrag a PC quick because it hasn't been doing it automatically, I will typically use Auslogics Disk Defrag.

It's 2017 so I use an SSD drive for my OS and programs which means have zero need for a 3rd-party defragmentation utility anymore.  The built-in Windows one is more than enough for my data which is on a HDD.

• Like 2

It's been Disk Optimizer (previously Disk Defragmenter) which, oddly enough, replaced Condusiv  - because it gained multipass continuous optimization (without rebooting) as a standard feature.  The odd part is that Condusiv was previously Executive Software - which originally manufactured Disk Defragmenter for Microsoft Windows (both the NT and 9x versions); the even stranger part is that Condusiv is STILL a Microsoft Partner.  I don't exactly have a hate for Condusiv - I just find it overkill.  Disk Optimizer does the job how I need it done - at a cost of none - despite my adding Hyper-V to my operational mix (Condusiv is, in fact, the ONLY other partition defragmenter that takes Hyper-V into consideration at all).  Now, if I were still running Windows Server personally, I'd stick with Condusiv for precisely that reason; however, since I don't (and no longer have a need to), why should I spring for it?

11 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

It's 2017 so I use an SSD drive for my OS and programs which means have zero need for a 3rd-party defragmentation utility anymore.  The built-in Windows one is more than enough for my data which is on a HDD.

right there with you mate. No point in a 3rd party utility when all I need is TRIM  function, it also detects my RAID0 volumes are comprised of SSDs striped. Win10 disk tool is plenty.

Defragmenters can still be useful on servers where rotating disks are still common and fragmentation can be a real problem. 

I use MyDefrag for those legacy defrag jobs.

19 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

This  - my thoughts exactly.

If my 4TB spinning drive seems to be a little scattered - I'll just run a manual defrag with Windows' built in.

But - no need to deal with this stuff anymore in the era of flash storage.

All SSD here.  Microsoft's built in tools are plenty good enough for me.

Sadly no, I suppose.. Plenty of tv and movies though. It gets used as a Media Center hub. Sucks I had to port it from 8.1 but at least I can still use the tv tuners in all my pc's..

On 4/22/2017 at 6:59 AM, JoseyWales said:

9 terabyte of platters and an ssd.. A good defragger is a must for me.

So you store your media.. Ok.. Large files.. That don't normally move around a lot.. Why would they be "fragmented" -- and why would the built in defragger that has auto run since windows 7 came out not be "enough"

So I still have a platter disk on my workstation.. Is used for junk, copy my home movies/pictures as a backup from my server.. These files are also on other disks in multiple systems online and offline, optical and the cloud.. So the copies on my local 3TB disk are just 1 of the many backups.. Anywhoo

This is storage drive just like I would assume your 9TB of drives are.. The level of such a drives should be very low and really take a freaking long time to even change.  The weekly defrag that has run automatically since windows 7 should be magnitudes more than sufficient to keep the frag level within acceptable levels..

• Like 3

On 4/10/2017 at 8:05 PM, warwagon said:

If I have to defrag a PC quick because it hasn't been doing it automatically, I will typically use Auslogics Disk Defrag.

I still have some ancient machines here that I defrag fairly regularly and I use Auslogics, although it's an older version, 4.5.4, as the newer versions started to install crap. Even the old version I have, Malwarebytes has detected pups on now, but it still works after removing those.

15 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

I still have some ancient machines here that I defrag fairly regularly

LIke running XP or windows 2000, 98???  You do understand windows vista/7 with auto defrag has been around.. Vista came out in what 2006.. Over 10 years ago.. If your running a windows version that freaking old that the defrag not running automatically you have way more issues then if your disk is "defragged"

That anyone would attempt to use or support some software that installs or even attempts to install crapware is just beyond nuts!!!

• Like 2

I also have a large connection of graphics code snippets and other assorted webdev stuff on the system as well as other things, it stores more than just large video files.. It is also handy when swapping out driver or allocating certain programs to faster areas of the disk. My Steam library eats up over half of one of the drivers I use for gaming and I'm not even close to having all of the 600+ games I own on that platform installed. A good defragger is a must along with a good set of disk tools if you want to get the most out of your rig.

just not freaking true at all...  Sorry but the built in defrag is more than enough.. The 3rd party defrag tools have not be relevant for what 10, maybe 15 years..

defrag.thumb.png.2148846a3ed55a9779d69ec95d6f06e7.png

That this is even a thread in the year 2017 just blows my freaking mind..

• Like 3

even though i have 2.75TB worth of SSD storage

if i need to defrag my 2x 4TB HDDs i use defraggler

back in the day I used to alternate between O&O defrag and Perfectdisk

54 minutes ago, BudMan said:

just not freaking true at all...  Sorry but the built in defrag is more than enough.. The 3rd party defrag tools have not be relevant for what 10, maybe 15 years..

defrag.thumb.png.2148846a3ed55a9779d69ec95d6f06e7.png

That this is even a thread in the year 2017 just blows my freaking mind..

People still have had disk drives that run on NTFS.

Fragmentation can still occur.